DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon 24mm lenses for Film quality footage with a 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/484764-canon-24mm-lenses-film-quality-footage-7d.html)

Ben Tolosa September 15th, 2010 11:23 AM

Canon 24mm lenses for Film quality footage with a 7D

Hi everyone,

Last week I've got my Canon 7D with two lenses: Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS.
I have 3 main purposes for my new baby:
1)Film quality footage (for short films, main reason).
2)Portrait photography.
3)Shooting soccer games from a distance (not very far since these are local park games with bunch of friends).

But as I was trying those lenses (great lenses by the way), they are less wide than I was expecting them to be. Due of my ignorance of course and the fact that they are actually 80mm and 112-320mm because of my 1.6 crop.

So, will love a wider lens for my wide shots when I am shooting a short film. I thought about a 35mm but that'll be a 56mm with my 7D. 24mm looks like it should be wide enough, but obviously I am not sure (that's why I am writing you this).

I found 3 lenses at B&H, but I am not sure which one should be the best choice:

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Autofocus Lens

Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens

Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Autofocus Lens

I was leaning toward the f/1.4L because of the low light capabilities, but then I saw those other two with 850+ reviews for the 24-70mm and 450+ reviews for the 24-105mm (compared with only 26 of the f/1.4) and made my doubt about which one is actually a better choice.

So, I was wondering what would you guys recommend and why?

As usual, thank you guys very much for any input!!

Kind Regards,

Ben Tolosa

Johannes Soetandi September 15th, 2010 05:30 PM

I dont find 24mm to be wide enough on 7D. I'd go with a 17mm at least to get the wide shot. Either consider the Canon 17-55mm/Tamron 17-50mm instead or add Tokina 11-16mm/Canon 10-22mm. I think you really need to try and see for yourself how wide do you want it to be.

Jon Braeley September 15th, 2010 06:46 PM

The Tokina 11-16mm is an ultra wide - it is made for 7D type cams so it does not crop so do not group this lens with the other full frame lenses.
I have this lens and it is superb - a must have for 7D owners for sure.

Dylan Couper September 15th, 2010 11:40 PM

You need to try these lenses in person first. Nothing in the 24mm range will be "wide" on a 7D... though it may be wide enough for you. If you want wide-ish, check out the 17-40L f4. It's very reasonaly priced, about 1/2 the price of the 16-35L, and will give you closer to actual 24mm.

Liam Hall September 16th, 2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Tolosa (Post 1569644)
Due of my ignorance of course and the fact that they are actually 80mm and 112-320mm because of my 1.6 crop.

For clarity:
A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens whether it is on a 5D, a 1D, a 7D or anything else. What changes is the field of view.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1569801)
The Tokina 11-16mm is an ultra wide - it is made for 7D type cams so it does not crop so do not group this lens with the other full frame lenses.

Also for clarity:
Full frame lenses do not "crop". If you put a 30mm lens designed for a full frame sensor on a 7D and replaced it with a 30mm lens designed for APS-C sized sensor the field of view will be exactly the same. But, if you put the lens designed for APS-C lenses on a full frame camera then it will vignette because it produces a smaller image circle.

For the OP: first, you need to decide if you want a prime or a zoom, then you need to decide if the lens will ever be used with a full frame camera. Then make your choice, the guys have mentioned great lenses above. Wide on the 7D will be around 18mm, super-wide around 12mm.

Jay Houser September 16th, 2010 06:08 AM

Since video is at the top of your list of requirements, you need a lens with IS. I would not consider the 24-70mm since a replacement with IS has been widely rumored. As others have stated, the 24-105mm is not really wide on a 7D. That leaves the Canon or Tamron 17-55mm. I would not consider the Canon 10-22mm since is not constant aperture - the Tokina 11-16mm is.

The canon 17-55mm and the Tokina 11-16mm are my most used lenses on my 7D.

Bruce S. Yarock September 16th, 2010 09:12 AM

Tokina 11-16 is my go to lens for live events when I need wide coverage. I also have a 17-55 2-8, 50 1.4, 70-200 2.8 and the 18-135 kit lens ( which is not abd for all around use out doors and travel).
Bruce Yarock

Robert Turchick September 16th, 2010 02:21 PM

second the Tokina...great lens....but curious why no one mentions the 28mm f1.8 which I have and LOVE for video. I even use it for portraits and product photo shoots as it's razor sharp. Not that far off the 1.4 for low light capability either. It's the same image quality as my 50mm f1.4 just wider and is around $450. Plus it's super light making it easy to fly on the Blackbird and use on my shoulder mount. I also have the 24-70 f2.8L which is a killer but for longer shoots only on the tripod.

Ben Tolosa September 16th, 2010 07:55 PM

Thanks guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi (Post 1569785)
I dont find 24mm to be wide enough on 7D. I'd go with a 17mm at least to get the wide shot. Either consider the Canon 17-55mm/Tamron 17-50mm instead or add Tokina 11-16mm/Canon 10-22mm. I think you really need to try and see for yourself how wide do you want it to be.

Hi Johannes,

Hey thank you for your advice. I am considering the Canon 17-55mm as one of the options... (read bellow)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1569801)

I am reading good stuff about the Tokina 11-16mm... It is one of the options I am seriously considering...
Thanks much Jon,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1569887)
You need to try these lenses in person first. Nothing in the 24mm range will be "wide" on a 7D... though it may be wide enough for you. If you want wide-ish, check out the 17-40L f4. It's very reasonaly priced, about 1/2 the price of the 16-35L, and will give you closer to actual 24mm.

Well, thanks for teaching me about 'wide enough'. I did not know, and it is very helpful to know. Thanks much Dylan!!

Ben Tolosa September 16th, 2010 07:59 PM

I did not know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1569912)
For clarity:
A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens whether it is on a 5D, a 1D, a 7D or anything else. What changes is the field of view.

Also for clarity:
Full frame lenses do not "crop". If you put a 30mm lens designed for a full frame sensor on a 7D and replaced it with a 30mm lens designed for APS-C sized sensor the field of view will be exactly the same. But, if you put the lens designed for APS-C lenses on a full frame camera then it will vignette because it produces a smaller image circle.

For the OP: first, you need to decide if you want a prime or a zoom, then you need to decide if the lens will ever be used with a full frame camera. Then make your choice, the guys have mentioned great lenses above. Wide on the 7D will be around 18mm, super-wide around 12mm.

Hi Liam,

Thank you for teaching me. I did not know what you just taught me about the 'full frame' lenses. How can I distinguish them on a Canon lens? Any kind of 'EF' terminology (which I am not sure what it means BTW)?

Thanks again!!

Ben Tolosa September 16th, 2010 08:03 PM

More thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Houser (Post 1569949)
Since video is at the top of your list of requirements, you need a lens with IS. I would not consider the 24-70mm since a replacement with IS has been widely rumored. As others have stated, the 24-105mm is not really wide on a 7D. That leaves the Canon or Tamron 17-55mm. I would not consider the Canon 10-22mm since is not constant aperture - the Tokina 11-16mm is.

The canon 17-55mm and the Tokina 11-16mm are my most used lenses on my 7D.

Hi Jay,

Thanks much for your recommendation...

I am undecided about 3 lenses which I will detail bellow...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1569999)
Tokina 11-16 is my go to lens for live events when I need wide coverage. I also have a 17-55 2-8, 50 1.4, 70-200 2.8 and the 18-135 kit lens ( which is not abd for all around use out doors and travel).
Bruce Yarock

Thank you Bruce,
Well, that is good to know. I am detailing more about 3 lenses bellow....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1570081)
second the Tokina...great lens....but curious why no one mentions the 28mm f1.8 which I have and LOVE for video. I even use it for portraits and product photo shoots as it's razor sharp. Not that far off the 1.4 for low light capability either. It's the same image quality as my 50mm f1.4 just wider and is around $450. Plus it's super light making it easy to fly on the Blackbird and use on my shoulder mount. I also have the 24-70 f2.8L which is a killer but for longer shoots only on the tripod.

Robert,

Thanks to you again for the recommendation. I am going to write about these 3 lenses to see what you guys think...

THANKS A MILLION!!

Dylan Couper September 16th, 2010 09:43 PM

Oh of course, the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS...
I change my mind, that's what I would buy as a wide-ish zoom. Though the 17-40L is a close second.

What the guys said about the Tokina for the ultra-wide is true, but the Canon EF-S 10-20mm is also an exceptional wide lens for the 7D. Not having constant aperture isn't the end of the world, especially for bright, outdoor sports shooting.

Just to point out to the OP, with the ultra wide lenses we are talking about, the players on the field will look like tiny little ants unless they are very very close. Of course... you may be able to see the entire field in the frame... Either way, you absolutely need to try these lenses out first before you put down the money. There is such a thing as too wide (for some people, not for me. :)

Ben Tolosa September 16th, 2010 11:01 PM

The lenses I am referring to...

These are the lenses I wrote about earlier:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...h-message.html

PS Thanks Dylan for that new input!!

Liam Hall September 17th, 2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Tolosa (Post 1570170)
Hi Liam,

Thank you for teaching me. I did not know what you just taught me about the 'full frame' lenses. How can I distinguish them on a Canon lens? Any kind of 'EF' terminology (which I am not sure what it means BTW)?

Thanks again!!

Hi Ben,

EF stands for Electro-Focus. Any EF lens will work on your 7D.

EF-S stands for Electro Focus-SHORT BACK FOCUS, which means that the rear element is closer to the sensor than on an EF lens. This helps with the design of wide angle lenses and also means that EF-S lenses can be made smaller and lighter.

EF-S lenses will only work properly with cameras with an APS-C sized sensor (7D, 550 etc) because the image circle they produce is smaller than an EF lens and will vignette on full frame sensors.

Jon Braeley September 17th, 2010 06:45 AM

Ben - There is a lot of overlap in a few threads I notice on the same topic. The only way you will get the answer is to get to a store asap and get the lenses in your hands.

Ben Tolosa September 17th, 2010 09:20 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1570305)
Ben - There is a lot of overlap in a few threads I notice on the same topic. The only way you will get the answer is to get to a store asap and get the lenses in your hands.

Hi Jon,

I agree 100%. The problem I face is I live in Hartford, VT and have no pro store near by. Have to drive about 2+ hours one way to find a decent one. That is why your guys' advice is very helpful to me. Plus I do trust your guys' expertise A LOT more than 1 or 2 Joes at the pro store. It is the opinion of only to people agains the experience of all of you (couple hundred?).
I honestly really appreciate your input!