DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D Footage - Colour Changes when encoded (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/485765-7d-footage-colour-changes-when-encoded.html)

Martin Campbell October 6th, 2010 03:57 PM

7D Footage - Colour Changes when encoded

thought this deserved a separate thread.

as explained on my other thread, I currently import my footage and run through Mpeg Streamclip as it's an easy drag-drop as opposed to the FCP process which I still don't get my head around!

One thing I have noticed - my quicktime footage as it is raw when imported looks fine, but when converted to ProRes 422 through Streamclip or even through FCP, it comes out quite different, darker, deeper, more saturated in the reds. Can anyone explain this? Is there a way to retain the more raw look as it was shot?

I've seen the Philip Bloom vid where he strips the colour settings back to a softer look to enable more flexible colour correction, but I've never altered this and just stuck with the normal settings as I can't afford the time to colour correct every clip that I'm taking!

Anyway, would be interested to know about this. Thanks

Bill Pryor October 6th, 2010 09:57 PM

I noticed the same thing when I first exported clips...but only if I play one of them before editing. In other words, if I just click and play one of the ProRes 422 clips, it looks more saturated. But when I drop it into the timeline, it looks the same as the original. After editing and exporting the final master, the color is still OK. At first it drove me nuts, but the end result is all I'm after, so now I ignore it.

Jon Braeley October 7th, 2010 06:47 AM

Without knowing much more detail what you are experiencing is a shift in your Gamma settings.

First you need to address your monitor display and your platform, which we do not know. How can you know what you are seeing is true on your display? Is your display calibrated for 1.8 or 2.2 gamma? Are your applications set for the sme gamma output? Between FCP and the rest your gamma setting will change.

Check your Quicktime settings and switch preferences to display 2.2 gamma. Use this gamma setting in any other programs that involve H.264 files.

Olof Ekbergh October 7th, 2010 08:06 PM

Basically, I never trust any computer monitor to show true color. Don't use one for CC.

Only a true Pro evaluation NTSC/PAL monitor will show you what is really going on. And you need scopes too to really correct color.

You need a Kona, BM, Matrox or similar to output SDI or component to a Pro monitor and scopes ideally.

If your output is for web only, then computer monitor is OK. Just remember different systems are different gamma, mostly old Macs were 1.8 (lighter less saturated) and PC's are 2.2 (darker more saturated). Current Macs are basically 2.2 now.

I know this may not help but it is the way it is. If your video looks like other video on the WEB then you are probably OK for the web, but broadcast video is a whole different ballgame. Similarly if you make DVD's and they look like commercial DVD's on your TV then that is probably OK for DVD's. But real CC takes some real equipment. Apples Color is good for grading but you really need a good monitor to know what things really look like.

Liam Hall October 8th, 2010 03:50 AM

Martin,

John is right, you are witnessing Apple's infamous gamma bug. The solution will depend on your set-up and the version of QuickTime and Final Cut you are running. Tell us more and I'm sure someone can help.

Olof,

NTSC and PAL are standard definition video formats and have different color space to HD. Viewing HD in PAL will tell you nothing at all...

Olof Ekbergh October 8th, 2010 10:46 AM

Liam, I was trying to keep it simple.

When I edit I actually monitor on both NTSC SD and HD Pro Evaluation Monitors. I use AJA or Matrox MX02 for outputting both at the same time. I use HD-SDI for HD output.

I deliver a lot of projects in SD still especially commercials for TV and those have to be legal, thus the NTSC and scopes comments.

HD also needs to be legal 0-100 IRE for broadcast. and the only way to be assured of that is to use scopes and a Pro HD Evaluation monitor.

In my suites we use the JVC DT series monitors, they are a very good value and picture is very good you will spot any problems right away, like this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/681335-REG/JVC_DT_V20L3GZ_DT_V20L3GZ_Verite_20_3G.html

I find it really helps to use Pro monitors for Bluray authoring as well. I also check final products on several HD Plasma and LCD consumer TV sets before final products are released.

If you only use consumer TV's for CC you have no way of really knowing what you have. Matrox now does have away of simulating Blue only and a set of controls to adjust a consumer monitor like a pro monitor from your computer. This actually works pretty well, but it does not replace a Pro monitor for critical work. It does make it possible to set your consumer monitor to a pretty correct colour.