DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon 28mm 1.8 for video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/486576-canon-28mm-1-8-video.html)

Dan Shallenberger October 24th, 2010 09:55 PM

Canon 28mm 1.8 for video

I'm considering the Canon 28mm 1.8 for use with my 7D for video, not photography. I've read a million reviews, with mixed feelings about edge/corner sharpness. But all of these reviewers are using it for photography, and many with full frame bodies.

Do any of you use this lens for video with your 7d/60d/t2i?

I would just rent it and see for myself, but my normal rental house doesn't carry this lens. I've rented the 30mm Sigma 1.4, and I like it for video. I'm certainly not a Canon purist where every lens has to say Canon, but don't want to pass up this 28mm if opinions for video are good.

Thanks!

Alan Halfhill October 25th, 2010 12:14 AM

I have it for my 60D. For stills it has bee very good. For video also good. I have not had it a long time but it is worth it's price for the USM focusing. Real time - all the time. I can manually focus in video mode. Great size for the camera. Lightweight. It has become like a 50mm on a Full Size 35mm.

For me it is a keeper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger (Post 1581843)
I'm considering the Canon 28mm 1.8 for use with my 7D for video, not photography. I've read a million reviews, with mixed feelings about edge/corner sharpness. But all of these reviewers are using it for photography, and many with full frame bodies.

I would just rent it and see for myself, but my normal rental house doesn't carry this lens. I've rented the 30mm Sigma 1.4, and I like it for video. I'm certainly not a Canon purist where every lens has to say Canon, but don't want to pass up this 28mm if opinions for video are good.

Thanks!

Laurence Janus October 25th, 2010 02:22 AM

Do you have any footage online Alan?

I can't afford a 24mm f/1.4 so I was happy to read your comments

Robert Turchick October 25th, 2010 07:40 AM

I love it for video. I have a 24-70 L which is awesome BUT makes the 7D too heavy to use effectively on my Blackbird. The 28 fits the rig perfectly! As I'm still learning the Blackbird, I don't have anything posted but look-wise it's identical to my 50mm 1.4 which was used for most of the video on my site. Just has a different focal length. You won't regret buying one!

And I have used it a bunch for stills, mostly portraits and it is a great lens for that!

Dan Shallenberger October 25th, 2010 07:59 AM

I'm with Laurence. I can't afford the 24 1.4 or 35 1.4, and thought this would be a good compromise if the image quality was up to par.

All things being equal, I'd rather drop a Canon lens on my camera instead of that Sigma 30mm 1.4, so this all sounds very promising. I can live with 1/2 stop less for a good Canon lens.

Thanks everyone.

Bruce Foreman October 25th, 2010 08:52 AM

That 28mm f1.8 is likely to be my next lens purchase. I've been using an EF 24mm f2.8 as my main video lens for low light and night work and that has been working well on both the 7D and T2i as long as I can use 1600 to 6400 ISO.

As has been pointed out the 28mm on an APS-C sensor gives about the same field of view the "normal" 50mm lens that used to come with a lot of film SLRs before zooms became popular.

Dan Shallenberger October 25th, 2010 08:59 AM

I thought about the 24 2.8 as I've heard it's a great lens. But it's just too slow for my needs at receptions. Since I try to use minimal on-camera lighting (or none) I need fast lenses, and 1.4 to 1.8 work very well.

Lee Ying October 25th, 2010 09:30 AM

Actually, I am in the same boat--- trying to pick shorter focus prime than 50mm f1.4 for video. I have boiled down my choices between Canon 28mm f1.8 vs Sigma 20mm f1.8. They are about the same price on Amazon, with Sigma about $50 cheaper.
It seems to me that 20mm and 50mm would cover a more useful range on a crop sensor. What do you guys think?

Robert Turchick October 25th, 2010 10:48 AM

That's why both the 28 and 50 are in my toolkit. Great lenses! Really gives me a 44.8mm and an 80mm which are close enough to the prime 50 and 85 everyone should have. The 20mm turns into a 32mm which is close enough to the optimal 35mm. So building a prime kit, that should be on the list too!

Laurence Janus October 25th, 2010 11:40 AM

Looking at your signature Robert, you are just the person to ask my most important question.

If it was choice between
a) 7D with primes plus the XF300
b) 7D and all of your lenses
c) None of the above
d) All of the above

Which would you take?

Dan Shallenberger October 25th, 2010 12:14 PM

I rented and used the 20mm sigma 1.8 for a couple of weeks. I thought it was a good lens, but not as sharp as the sigma 30 1.4. Also, the focus ring was stiff, making it hard to manual focus while shooting video handheld. That could have been just the lens I was using, but not sure. The image was acceptable, but that's as far as I would go.

The sigma 30mm 1.4 was nice though, especially at 2.8 and up. But, I don't want a 1.4 lens to use at 2.8 and above.

Markus Nord October 25th, 2010 12:34 PM

I got the sigma 20/1.8 and love it... It sits on me 7D all the time... About the focus, I think it is smooth. A werd thing is that it got 2 AF/MF swith and both need to be on MF.
I love it so much that I have sandpapered away 3 mm so it fits in my Ikelite housing. I can't put the sunshade on any more, but I'll buy a screw-in mattebox.

Liam Hall October 25th, 2010 02:55 PM

I use the 28mm f/1.8 all the time, usually as a medium shot on interviews, but also as a medium wide for interiors.

It's a good value lens and you can get good bokeh if you are close to your subject.

I can't show your any interview shots (due to NDAs), but the shots of the fireman in the following video were done on this lens. My advice, go for it.

Ben Tolosa October 26th, 2010 10:56 AM

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger (Post 1581843)

Thanks!

Hi Dan,

I have a 7D and I did research for a wide angle lens for a while. I came to the conclution that the best investment on my case was the:

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486708-USA/Canon_1910B002AA_EF_16_35mm_f_2_8L_II.html

I am going to be doing short films mainly but taking stills as well. I've got that lens because I already have
the Canon 50mm f/1.4 (which is my favorite lens btw) and the 70-200mm f/4L IS

I know the 16-35mm is not a prime but that zoom range works great for me because it also keeps its f/2.8 from 16 to 35.

Plus, I am planing on getting a full frame in the future (Canon 5D Mark III? [if that will be the name of the next 5D Mark II]), that way I can use all of these lenses without a problem.

Yes, I am very happy with the 16-35mm. It is not that heavy and a gives my 7D a nice balance. Super nice and strong built.

Johannes Soetandi October 28th, 2010 01:57 AM

I completely recommend the 28mm f1.8. It is sharp and has nice colour tone. I shoot at f2.0 most of the time with this lens. Haven't compare it with Sigma 30mm f1.4 yet so I can't tell which is better.