DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Few (dumb) ML questions... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/489819-few-dumb-ml-questions.html)

John Vincent January 6th, 2011 02:28 PM

Few (dumb) ML questions...

- Is ML still in pre-Beta?

I've seen lots of new versions on the past 2-3 months, but not sure if it's to the point of using for someone who's not technically very proficient with computers.

- If not in Beta, should I wait? I nothing urgent at the second (although I am shooting a low budget feature in the spring)...

- Do you need to re-boot the camera on every new use, or is ML to the point where when the cam's turned on, it's there, ready to go?

- Obviously the manual audio features/zebra stripes have every day practical use. But I haven't read anything on whether or not the larger bit rate options affect the final image. Anyone with experience on this issue?

- Although bricking the cam is obviously always a potential, has it actually ever happened to any one?

Thanks for any help!

Arne Johnson January 6th, 2011 03:17 PM

I have some similar questions, having a little trouble untangling whether/when it's ready for primetime. On the wiki, it does say it's pre-Alpha, so there's that.

Jackson Hager January 6th, 2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

- Is ML still in pre-Beta?
Yes, it's pre-alpha even, according to the site.

Quote:

If not in Beta, should I wait?
I see no reason to. It only makes small, reversible changes, so no reason not to try it out.

Quote:

Do you need to re-boot the camera on every new use?
No.

Quote:

haven't read anything on whether or not the larger bit rate options affect the final image. Anyone with experience on this issue?
Fewer blocks in the shadows, but I don't use Qscale often. For most situations it doesn't make too much of a difference for me. Maybe if you do a lot of post work, it would help.

Quote:

not sure if it's to the point of using for someone who's not technically very proficient with computers.
The directions are really good. It's a bit tricky on a mac, but for PC it is literally "download these things" "click these buttons" "drag files onto card". If you can run a camera, you can install ML.

John Vincent January 7th, 2011 03:07 AM

Thank you Mr Hager... guess I'll give it a go.

Osmany Tellez January 7th, 2011 08:41 AM

Follow up

I have a follow up question ...

I use the cam for Video and also for photo...can I just switch between ML and canon easily? or once I put ML on it will have to use computer to take it off?

Thanks

David Quakenbush January 11th, 2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez (Post 1605304)

I use the cam for Video and also for photo...can I just switch between ML and canon easily? or once I put ML on it will have to use computer to take it off?

Thanks

You can shoot stills with ML active. It also adds many useful features for still photography (trap focus, DOF information, etc). ML does not interfere with any of the features/functions already in the camera as it comes from Canon so it isn't something you have to "put on/take off" constantly. Go read the wiki.

Luke Gates January 11th, 2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez (Post 1605304)

Thanks

ML is great for video and stills alike. If you do want to take it off it's as simple as formatting your sd card.