T2i vs. T3i vs. 60D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 18th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Major Player

T2i vs. T3i vs. 60D

I had a T2i but its no longer with me. I do get a replacement for free but right now there are no T2i's to be found. I can pay 100 dollars more for a T3i or 400 more for a 60D. Im more into the video end than the photo. What would you do, or How does the T3i vs T2i compare? I know the 60D is the best choice, but not sure I want to spend 400

Thanks
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: T2i vs. T3i vs. 60D

I also had the T2 (550D) and went faulty and I have chosen to replace it with 60D. I could,'t be happier. I also use it for video mostly. Go for the 60D. Money wisely invested.

stelios
Old May 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Main differences/advantages btwn 60D & T3i

60D - larger battery, more expensive, harder to find 3rd party, fractional ISO like 125, 160, 250, 320 etc and the extra rear control wheel.
T3i - same battery as the T2i, cheaper but 3rd party options are readily available, tele-crop feature, same size as your T2i.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Correct me if I am wrong as I have read this in a few places but isn't the t2i video pretty much the same as the 60d?

Also, I was miffed at first that the T3i came out a few months after I purchased the t2i...however, from talking with camera shops and others the only real plus is that swivel screen which I suppose isn't much of an upgrade. Let's see what the t4i has to offer.
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 05:57 AM   #5
Trustee

This is interesting:

Picturing Change Canon T3i (600D) vs 60D vs T2i (550D) vs 7D, etc.
Old May 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have the T2i and got the 60D when it came out and I'm very happy with it. I love the swivel screen, which you're going to get with either choice. I was tired at holding the T2i at eye level, and it really helps with those high and low shots.

I haven't read enough about the tele-crop feature (apparently 3x is the only one you should use, and 10x is a no-no) but it does seem interesting. I would totally use it for events when I can't get close enough.

If you go with the T3i, you can spend the other $300 on batteries, lens, or anything else you need. Both cameras record the same video, but you need good lenses and lighting to achieve it.
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I bought a T3i recently. The 3X digital zoom really works well in many situation. Then I found out about the audio control on T3i, so I bought another T3i today to replace my two T2i. Is the manual audio control available on 60D too?
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Both the T3i and the 60D have manual audio gain control straight out of the box.

Stock T2is, without the Magic Lantern hack, have automatic audio gain control (which, in a quiet room, hisses like a snake ;-))

If I were to buy another Canon mirror-box DSLR, I'd get the

T3i

-- it seems to me to be the most bang for the buck.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Even with Canon's manual gain, you will get some hiss. Magic Lantern is the key to reducing hiss when recording to the camera.
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have the 60D. The better build and sound are improvement over the Rebel series. I do not use ML, so I keep the audio at one quarter or less. I use external amplification with a JuicedLink DT454 or a single Sennheiser G2 wireless.

For Stills I like the bigger viewfinder and the camera is quieter. I came from a 7D.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Major Player

"Even with Canon's manual gain, you will get some hiss. Magic Lantern is the key to reducing hiss when recording to the camera. "

Unless you pair it up with one of the new rode mics. The +20 gain eliminates the hiss. I use it on a 5d mark II and its a great combo.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:19 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I've got to say that I am super glad that I went with the 60D for a couple reasons. For starters shooting video the articulating screen just allows me to get shots my friend sooting with a T2i has much harder times acquiring. Obviously this feature is on the T3i as well.

Second, having the info screen on top of the camera by the shutter button is super nice as well since I can just glance down and get info rather than having to have it all displayed on the LCD in the back just putting info over the image I'm trying to capture. Having a relatively "empty" EVF is nice.

I think the body is a lot nicer too honestly. It's really personal preference with budget though. The reviews out there have beaten that point to death as all 3 cams put out pretty much identical footage. The options are just little luxuries that get you to that point.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Inner Circle

agree with the articulating screen. It makes shooting much easier and flexible. I can now raise up the tripod if I stand in front of a crowd.

I now have T3i the 3X crop zoom also makes a huge plus on shooting with a standard lens.
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #14
Major Player

For me the choice between the 60D and T3i came down to do I want the extra ISO's of the 60D or want the 3X crop. I went with the T3i.
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Trying to decide myself either to get two T3i's or two 60Ds to replace T2i's

I think I'm going to go for the T3i, its quite a saving over a 60D and all your losing is the larger grip and ISOs of the 60D, not enough in my eyes to be worth the extra cost. I think that money can be better spent on other things.The grip also isn't an issue for me anymore as I use a shoulder mount, so I only hold it in the grip when attaching it or putting it away.

Also I want to upgrade to a 5D Mark iii when that finally comes out so it makes sense to save some money now if the cameras will do the same job.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD