DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   How to convert Canon T3i .mov files for editing in FCP etc...? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/496778-how-convert-canon-t3i-mov-files-editing-fcp-etc.html)

Duane Harper Grant June 4th, 2011 06:51 PM

How to convert Canon T3i .mov files for editing in FCP etc...?

I know it has probably been a topic of discussion at some point in this or other forums regarding DSLR video acquisition, but I would be most grateful to the community for hints or pointers to threads that talk about how to convert / import T2i / T3i .mov files into editing software of any kind and more specifically into FCP? I know there is a solution from Canon for the 60D but don't see one (yet - there may never be one) for the Rebel series (T2i, T3i). Thank you - this may save me a lot leg work in sussing this out.

David Knaggs June 4th, 2011 08:42 PM

Re: How to convert Canon T3i .mov files for editing in FCP etc...?

Hi Duane.

I've only been researching the T3i since yesterday (when I decided I might pick one up next month for some small personal side projects).

I found this FCP plug-in for Canon which (apparently) lets you directly use the Log and Transfer function in FCP.

According to Canon:

"This plug-in application is for Final Cut Pro, which was released for users of EOS Digital and Final Cut Pro. This plug-in allows you to use the Log and Transfer function to edit movies captured with the EOS cameras."

So it looks like it "might" be suitable for T3i (and any other EOS camera).

Follow this link:

Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : EOS 5D Mark II

and then, from the drop-down menu in the "Drivers & Software" section, select "Mac OS X" and then a bar called "Software" will then appear underneath. Click "Software" and a list will appear. About the third one down you will find a plug-in called "EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro Ver1.2" (File Name: ce1120x.dmg.zip)

Only experienced T2i/T3i users can actually tell you if this really works, but I love using the Log and Transfer plug-in from Sony when working with my EX1R footage, so I imagine that the functionality might be similar. But, as I said, only experienced users can say how truly workable this solution is.

Duane Harper Grant June 5th, 2011 03:51 AM

Thanks very much David. I will give this a shot. I knew about this but because Canon did not list the Rebel Cameras at all in the supported devices I reckoned that that omission was intentional and it would not work but again, this is worth a try. I will let you know.

I wonder how Premiere handles the .mov files and what those editors are using if they need any conversion. I did a little experiment with I movie (9) to directly import .mov files. The results were not usable at all.

Thanks

David Chilson June 5th, 2011 05:39 AM

Duane,

In Premiere the files import just fine.

Duane Harper Grant June 5th, 2011 11:00 AM

Good to know David. Seems Adobe has a few legs up and are on the ball over Apple. To bad for me the price of CS5 is out of my league just now 'cause I would seriously consider bolting from FCP.

Thanks!

Bruce Foreman June 6th, 2011 02:54 PM

If you're willing to try a PC, I just installed Avid's Pinnacle Studio 15 on my year and a half old Core i7 2.66Ghz processor based Dell and the .MOV files from my 7D, T2i, and 60D edit "natively" with no conversion, transcoding, or other "tap dance" required.

It will take a fast multi core (quad core or six core) processor based computer but that's where everything seems to be heading anyway.

Duane Harper Grant June 6th, 2011 10:53 PM

Hi Bruce,

Thank you - that is very interesting. I do have an intel mac running a 2.3GHz i7 processor which I just got, but this machine will run windows apps with parallels. It may be something to consider down the line. I am still sussing this out. I have found some interesting things but too random to report on now. Meanwhile, I'm dusting off my tap shoes.

Thanh Nguyen June 7th, 2011 11:11 PM

use the free MPEG StreamClip to batch convert your .Mov H.264 to Prores LT or ProRes what ever you prefer. It much faster then the log and transfer

Duane Harper Grant July 25th, 2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanh Nguyen (Post 1656464)
use the free MPEG StreamClip to batch convert your .Mov H.264 to Prores LT or ProRes what ever you prefer. It much faster then the log and transfer

Thanks Thanh,
I have been meaning to update this thread. I did get this free program and tried it and it worked really well. Good recommendation. I used the Apple ProRes 422 option from quick time options box then imported the footage into FCP. Log and transfer not needed. Video worked great in the time line. Can do batch conversions too.
Thanks!

Nigel Barker July 30th, 2011 07:06 AM

The advantage of using Log & Transfer versus blindly converting all your video clips to ProRes is twofold as you get to quickly skim through the clips marking in & out points & only need to convert to ProRes what you actually want & need & not every last second that you shot.

Bryan Cantwell August 2nd, 2011 07:58 AM

Nigel, you can trim in MPEG Streamclip, too. Not in batch, but it can easily be done.

Nigel Barker August 2nd, 2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Cantwell (Post 1671959)
Nigel, you can trim in MPEG Streamclip, too. Not in batch, but it can easily be done.

I know that but quickly being able to skim through all the clips mark in & out points & send them off to the queue to be converted to ProRes is much nice & more easily done with Log & Transfer.

David St. Juskow August 6th, 2011 09:18 AM

The other big advantage of Log & Transfer is that it should convert your time-of-day timestamp into timecode, which is very useful. If you don't care about TC, then Compressor is a much better solution than mpeg streamclip or FCP. I've found that ProRes LT is just as good as ProRes and much smaller- but I haven't done any heavy compositing with this footage.