DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   New camera that doesnt overheat (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/501656-new-camera-doesnt-overheat.html)

Marko Grady October 15th, 2011 11:24 PM

New camera that doesnt overheat

Sorry this may be a duplicate post but I did search for a bout 5 mins.

I currently have the 550d which I need to use for a prolonged period and I over heat so much, I have an external battery etc... I do have a xh a1 but due to the fact of ripping the footage so quickly i prefer the dslr.

Is there any dslr that doesn't overheat?

Nigel Barker October 16th, 2011 01:45 AM

Re: New camera that doesnt overheat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marko Grady (Post 1688981)

The 5DII very rarely overheats (seen it once in 2.5 years & then only sitting in >30C/90F direct sunlight). The 600D(T3i) does not overheat - there was one report in this forum but even that was probably a slow card & not overheating.

John Wiley October 16th, 2011 06:53 AM

Try the 60D or 600D. Both have much improved performance regarding overheating. I've only ever heard one unconfirmed report of overheating for the 600D, and no reports of overheating for the 60D.

Many people believe that the articulating screen in a big factor in reducing heat - the theory is that the rotating screen moves some of the heat-procuding curcuitry away from the main body of the camera so it accumulates heat slower.

Harry Bromley-Davenport October 16th, 2011 05:55 PM

600D(T3i)

Harry.

Taky Cheung October 19th, 2011 10:28 PM

My T2i overheat everytime I use it at weddings. Now with T3i, never happened.

Mike Calla October 28th, 2011 10:05 PM

I love my 7D...LOVE IT! But one thing i could never love was the overheating. I ignored it on the majority of occasions,pretty much until it shut off by it self, never lost footage due to image degradation save for one time.

But nevertheless, psychologically, i knew it was there; during interviews my cameraman would motion to me that the little icon has appeared; whenever it was put on 720p i knew it would be a matter of minutes before the icon showed it's ugly head.

And for that, "Craigslist meet 7D, 7D meet Craigslist!

Alan Halfhill October 31st, 2011 11:09 PM

My 60D's have never overheated in video mode. My 7D did all the time.

David W. Jones November 1st, 2011 07:57 AM

GH2 does not overheat.

We have pretty much switched to shooting with an AF100.
The pro features make it a no brainer against trying to rig a DSLR to do the same thing.

Pat Flores November 10th, 2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marko Grady (Post 1688981)
Sorry this may be a duplicate post but I did search for a bout 5 mins.

I currently have the 550d which I need to use for a prolonged period and I over heat so much, I have an external battery etc... I do have a xh a1 but due to the fact of ripping the footage so quickly i prefer the dslr.

in studio and out and about I have had 7Ds overheat on me plenty but I have never had my 60D overheat on me....

Robert Turchick November 10th, 2011 09:17 PM

Had a T2i and moved up to the 7D. I live in hell...I mean Phoenix and have shot half days outdoors in 115 deg "dry heat" and have also shot in New Orleans in the summer with 100+ temps and 90% humidity.
The T2i was terrible. Once that light came on it either stayed on or would come back every take. And I had the battery grip, fast SanDisk card and used cold packs along with turning the camera off between takes as well as having a towel or umbrella to keep it out of the sun.

My 7D rarely overheats. On the worst days I see the warning a couple of times. Others none at all. I use a battery grip, fast SanDisk cards and shut it down, keep a towel on it between takes. Haven't had to use the cold packs yet!

Can't speak to the new cams but I think with all the varied reports it's luck of the draw if any one camera will or won't overheat!