DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   T3i Battery life while shooting video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/502563-t3i-battery-life-while-shooting-video.html)

Iker Riera November 10th, 2011 08:58 PM

T3i Battery life while shooting video?

Hi, i'm ready to order a T3i soon mainly for video but i just want to make sure i get anough batteries, if anyone can help me with this i'd really appreciate it:

how long does the stock battery last while using the camera exclusively for full hd video recording?

Also, any experiences with after market batteries and how long they last while also recording video?

Plus any recommendations for cheap aftermarket batteries (if they're good of course) would be great.

Another quesiton for anyone who can help me, does anyone know if the battery tray on the T3i can be opened with the camera still attached to a Manfrotto QR plate like this one:
... PDKIKX0DER

Thanks for any help

Reuben Miller November 10th, 2011 09:12 PM

Re: T3i Battery life while shooting video?

Hello,

• I'm getting a little over an hour on the factory battery with Magic Lantern @1080p24 - I use the T3i to record big band jazz events that are comprised of 2 sets, at 1/hr each.

• I usually capture about 45-55 minutes of each set.

• I ordered 2 additional 1400 mhA batteries and a charger for aprox $50 U.S.D. from L.A. Color Online - a vendor on this site.

• The batteries perform flawlessly, and the charger is great because it can be used on a 110v circuit or your 12v system in the car.

• I use the Manfrotto QR plate attached to a Velbon DV7000 for this recurring gig, and yes you WILL have to remove the plate to change the battery.

• After I finish this reply, I going to be ordering a battery grip so I can go the full 2 hrs without any issues. :)

Hope this helps - It's a great camera... compliments my HV30 perfectly!

Iker Riera November 10th, 2011 09:22 PM

Seems i'll be getting a Battery grip too then, i was hoping that i'd be able to change it without removing the QR plate but oh well.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it :)

Btw do the batteries from LA Color hold the same charge as the original Canon one? Can you see the battery indicator on the screen with them?

Thanks again

Reuben Miller November 11th, 2011 05:18 AM

yes... and yes :)

Khoi Pham November 11th, 2011 07:41 AM

you must got the good one or something, mine last about 5months, and even when new, never last as long as the original, toward the end of 4 months, it would give me full charge all 3 bars and then just shut off on me once during the processional, needless to say, I chunk them in the trash can and swear never to buy cheap Chinese 3rd party battery again, they are cheap for a reason.

Iker Riera November 11th, 2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 1696294)
...it would give me full charge all 3 bars and then just shut off on me once during the processional...

i've been reading that in most reviews of the third party batteries, it that's the case with most of them then the only way to go is Canon imo, too much of a worry during a shoot

Ger Griffin November 12th, 2011 05:30 PM

Also these cameras can also be hooked up to mains.
power adapter t2i | eBay

Brett Sherman November 13th, 2011 11:29 AM

The Manfrotto 394 QR system allows you to change batteries.

Iker Riera November 13th, 2011 05:50 PM

someone sent me this pic of the bottom of the camera with th QR system i linked to in the first post:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/...plateonT3i.jpg

so it seems it is possible to change the batteries without removing the plate.

Reuben Miller November 14th, 2011 10:14 AM

Yup... my bad - That one WILL allow it. I have that plate attached to my Glidetrack. I pulled off and tried it on the T3i and it does work as shown :)

I keep another QR plate attached to use it on my Velbon - and in that case it has to be removed.

Edward Mendoza November 14th, 2011 12:53 PM

Strongly advise to stay away from knock-off batteries. They'll seem like an extremely flattering purchase because of the price, but they are not dependable. Also, stay away from "authentic" Canon batteries from "official" sellers on eBay. These are also shady. Best bet is to go to B&H or the like and purchase from there. You'll be paying more, which stinks, but you'll have peace-of-mind that your batteries will not let you down (99% of the time at least, as defects are always a possibility).

Taky Cheung November 14th, 2011 05:13 PM

There are good generic brand battery and bad ones. For those selling at $5 for 2 pcs on ebay are the low quality ones to stay away from. Those batteries are made with "recycled" cells and cheap plastic. Usually those batteries won't hold charge after a few months.

However, there're high quality generic brands that are just as good as the stock batteries. Our batteries are made in China, but they are manufactured using Japanese battery cell.

:)

Iker Riera November 14th, 2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Mendoza (Post 1696999)
Strongly advise to stay away from knock-off batteries. They'll seem like an extremely flattering purchase because of the price, but they are not dependable. Also, stay away from "authentic" Canon batteries from "official" sellers on eBay. These are also shady. Best bet is to go to B&H or the like and purchase from there. You'll be paying more, which stinks, but you'll have peace-of-mind that your batteries will not let you down (99% of the time at least, as defects are always a possibility).

yeah i already made up my mind about ordering the official ones from B&H, pricier but i don't want to risk anything during a shoot.