DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   electronic spirit level in the v'finder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/503047-electronic-spirit-level-vfinder.html)

Tom Hardwick November 27th, 2011 11:14 AM

electronic spirit level in the v'finder

Have 60D. Have had Canon SLRs since the EF back in '74, and reckon I can follow instruction books. But can I get the electronic spirit level to show up in the v'finder? No way. It's there on the rear screen ok so I need takling by the hand on this one.

Colin Rowe November 27th, 2011 11:39 AM

Re: electronic spirit level in the v'finder

Is this any help Tom ?

I have not made my self-diagnosed HLDS (Horizon-Level Deficiency Syndrome) a secret - it seems that no matter how hard I try to keep the horizon level, I still don't get all scenes framed perfectly level. I typically use grid focusing screens to assist me with this issue (note that the 50D and 60D share focusing screens). A great feature implemented in the 60D is the Single-Axis Electronic Viewfinder Level. To use the Viewfinder Level, C.Fn-IV-2 (Custom Function Menu IV, Option 2) must be used to assign the Set button to option 5 - Viewfinder Level. The Set button is then used to display horizon-level indication in the exposure scale at the bottom of the viewfinder (in landscape/horizontal shooting orientation only). Pressing the camera's shutter button halfway down clears the level indication.

The level has ± 1 degree of accuracy. Handholding the camera to this level of accuracy is not always easy - and any time spent after the shutter button is pressed half way is time during which the camera may be going out of level. I really like the feature, but it is not a 100% guarantor of a level frame.

Easier to adjust the camera for perfect level is the Live View implementation of the Electronic Level (which is again rated at ± 1 degree) when the 60D is tripod-mounted. I have bubble levels on my tripod legs, my self-leveling tripod base, my tripod head and my tripod clamp. Problem is, they are not all accurate for all of my DSLRs. They may be close, but not always right on.

Tom Hardwick November 27th, 2011 01:01 PM

Thanks Colin. I've done as the instructions say, and as you say (above),

C.Fn-IV-2 (Custom Function Menu IV, Option 2) must be used to assign the Set button to option 5 - Viewfinder Level. The Set button is then used to display horizon-level indication in the exposure scale at the bottom of the viewfinder.

OK, push 'menu'. Go to C.FnIV: Operation/Others.
Set.
In the little orange box at the top I enter 2. Press 'set'.
in the little box orange box underneath I enter 5.
Go out of menu.

Lift camera to eye, (in any exposure mode) and press 'set' expecting the level to appear. Nope, nothing. What on earth am I doing wrong? Firmware ver 1.0.8 if that helps.

tom.

Jordan Hooper November 27th, 2011 10:09 PM

I was under the impression that it only shows up on the LCD screen.
While in a picture mode press the "INFO" button twice.
You can have your eye very close to the viewfinder and still see when it goes green on the LCD out of the corner of your eye while framing your shot through the viewfinder.
Or just use Liveview mode.

Tom Hardwick December 1st, 2011 02:40 AM

@ Jordan: Yes, that's how I've been using my 60D when taking stills.
@ Colin: Your HLDS cries out for the spirit level to be shown in the v'finder, so can I ask you - have you actually got your 60D to display it thus? Where on earth am I going wrong?

Colin Rowe December 1st, 2011 06:17 AM

Sorry Tom, I dont actually own a 60D. I plucked the above info from a quick google