DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Equipment list for Budget Documentary (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/510647-equipment-list-budget-documentary.html)

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 14th, 2012 03:05 AM

Re: Equipment list for Budget Documentary

The general theory is that the intensity of light reduces according to distance, as I've written here.

However, this is almost negligible for still camera lens adapters - which are just a few millimeters in depth. I've yet to see any difference with the adapters I use. Nothing to worry about.

Bruce Foreman September 14th, 2012 12:23 PM

With the GH2 and most adapted lenses there is no additional barrel length involved. The m4/3rds design makes the body lens flange to sensor "thinner". To maintain proper focus adapters must have a certain length.

There is no exposure increase necessary.

A better idea with the GH2 would be a couple of "prime" lenses made for it. The Lumix 20mm f1.7 (FAST GLASS!) and the Olympus Zuiko 45mm f1.8 would be wise choices. Both are sharp performers, quite lightweight and compact and much sought after. Even the "much maligned" 14-42 "kit" lens is a far better performer than most give it credit for.

The BIG advantage to "native" m4/3rds lenses is that just about all features of the GH2 work with them.

Damon Rambo September 14th, 2012 01:08 PM

Double post

Damon Rambo September 14th, 2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1753434)
With the GH2 and most adapted lenses there is no additional barrel length involved. The m4/3rds design makes the body lens flange to sensor "thinner". To maintain proper focus adapters must have a certain length.

There is no exposure increase necessary.

A better idea with the GH2 would be a couple of "prime" lenses made for it. The Lumix 20mm f1.7 (FAST GLASS!) and the Olympus Zuiko 45mm f1.8 would be wise choices. Both are sharp performers, quite lightweight and compact and much sought after. Even the "much maligned" 14-42 "kit" lens is a far better performer than most give it credit for.

The BIG advantage to "native" m4/3rds lenses is that just about all features of the GH2 work with them.

Got the kit lens and the 20mm to start out. All I could afford right now...

Bruce Foreman September 14th, 2012 01:48 PM

That's a good start. That 20mm is like a slightly "wide" normal and can be a very useful general purpose prime lens. The f1.7 aperture is very handy in low light level environments.

You can add others later.

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 14th, 2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damon Rambo (Post 1753446)
Got the kit lens and the 20mm to start out. All I could afford right now...

Great choice, you'll be happy with it. Now you can quit worrying about gear and focus on shooting the documentary! All the best.

Stelios Christofides September 15th, 2012 01:30 AM

How about the Canon 60D since it is also weather resistant?

stelios

Damon Rambo September 15th, 2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides (Post 1753528)
How about the Canon 60D since it is also weather resistant?

stelios

Same thing as the T3i. However, the weather resistant feature is not particularly helpful unless you are going to purchase the expensive weather resistant L lenses...(I cannot afford them!)

{edit} the 60d is NOT the exact same as the 60d...but close enough

Brian David Melnyk September 17th, 2012 03:17 AM

strange that you think the XA10's low light performance is 'abysmal'. i actually bought one on the strength of its low light performance as well as audio capabilities.... so far i am extremely happy!

the great thing about the T3i is that you can use the 3x crop with video with minimal if any image degradation, giving you two lenses in one. if you have a 17-55 (27.2-88 on the T3i), you also have a 51-165 (81.6-495 if my math is right...). all without the hassle of changing the lens! i think that's why Canon discontinued that feature- bad for lens sales.

Damon Rambo September 17th, 2012 12:45 PM

I guess it depends upon what you compare it to...compared to lower priced prosumer camcorders, and consumer grade camcorders, yes it has good low light performance. Compared to the VG 20, or DSLR's, its low light performance is "abysmal." Its sensor is the exact same sensor as in the lower end Canon camcorders, and its low light performance is very similar.