Canon 90D -better tha n 80d? first hand opinions pls at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 15th, 2019, 10:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 90D -better tha n 80d? first hand opinions pls

hi there. I have a C100 mk2 which is awesome for 1080p and I have been using a Canon 70d with a sigma 18-35mm f1.8 as a B camera for interviews and Broll for a while but I want to upgrade. The 70d's footage is pleasant but too soft compared to my C100 mk2.
So..I skipped the 80d (although I could have used the headphone jack, the 60fps and timelapse function sometimes) and I'm considering the 90d mostly because I have several Canon APSC lenses and I want to continue to use them. I want better 1080p video quality than what I get with my 70D and decent 4k . I have seen/read some reviews on the 90d and i know it lost the ALL-I setting, the 24fps option and NO AF when doing 120fps and some reviewers claim that the 4K (at least one of the modes-it has 2 cropped and uncropped) is lower than 4k but it gets upscaled. I'm waiting for a complete review on the net soon.
What do you think fellow videographers? Would I waste my money if I bought the 90d? I tried and Sony a6400 and is an awesome camera-I got the Sigma 16mm f1.4 but I would love to use my Canon lenses and I don't want to deal with adapters etc..
I looked at the Canon EOS R- and Canon lenses work with it via an adapter but I think only full frame lenses-I only have APSC lenses and the EOS R doesn't have a headphone jack!! Damn!
Canon is making it hard for us videographer to get a good affordable camera...thoughts?? thanks!
Old September 16th, 2019, 05:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon 90D -better tha n 80d? first hand opinions pls

Canon always protects their higher end Cine line by holding back features from their dslr. In this case they added 4k but took away 24p and All-I. If they didn’t, they be taking sales away from C200. It’s going to be difficult to use it as b-camera. It’s frustrating but that’s life in the Canon Cine line for you. As far as I’ve seen 4k is not cropped.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:02 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Perdomo View Post
the EOS R doesn't have a headphone jack!
Good news: you were misinformed. The Canon EOS R and RP both have headphone jacks.

See https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/ca...-eos-r-review/

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:19 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Perdomo View Post
I looked at the Canon EOS R- and Canon lenses work with it via an adapter but I think only full frame lenses-I only have APSC lenses
More good news: when combined with the EF-EOS R mount adapter, the Canon EOS R and RP cameras are fully compatible with either full-frame EF or crop-sensor EF-S lenses. So yes, you can use your APS-C sized lenses on these full-frame cameras.

Of course, by virtue of their design, those lenses will produce an image circle that's too small to fully cover the full-frame sensor. Therefore the camera will crop the full-frame sensor capture area down to APS-C so that you're not recording a large black barrel around your picture. In other words, when you put a crop-sensor lens on a Canon mirrorless full-frame camera, it will revert to a crop-sensor image capture (it has to; hopefully this point is understood). The main idea here is that yes you can use EF-S lenses that produce an APS-C sized image circle with these mirrorless full-frames.

The mount adapter comes in three flavors. The one you want is the $200 EF-EOS R Control Ring Adapter, which has a customizable control ring on it that you can assign to various functions, just like Canon's new RF series lenses. If you're ever wanted an aperture ring on a Canon EF lens, now you've got it with the EF-EOS R control ring adapter. Or it's an ISO control ring, or whatever. It's a definite bonus.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Doesn’t using lens that need to be cropped on full frame sensor defeat the purpose of owning a full frame camera?
Old September 16th, 2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
More good news: when combined with the EF-EOS R mount adapter, the Canon EOS R and RP cameras are fully compatible with either full-frame EF or crop-sensor EF-S lenses. So yes, you can use your APS-C sized lenses on these full-frame cameras.

Of course, by virtue of their design, those lenses will produce an image circle that's too small to fully cover the full-frame sensor. Therefore the camera will crop the full-frame sensor capture area down to APS-C so that you're not recording a large black barrel around your picture. In other words, when you put a crop-sensor lens on a Canon mirrorless full-frame camera, it will revert to a crop-sensor image capture (it has to; hopefully this point is understood). The main idea here is that yes you can use EF-S lenses that produce an APS-C sized image circle with these mirrorless full-frames.

The mount adapter comes in three flavors. The one you want is the $200 EF-EOS R Control Ring Adapter, which has a customizable control ring on it that you can assign to various functions, just like Canon's new RF series lenses. If you're ever wanted an aperture ring on a Canon EF lens, now you've got it with the EF-EOS R control ring adapter. Or it's an ISO control ring, or whatever. It's a definite bonus.
Thanks for the info! the 90D is a strange upgrade from the 80d really...all Canon needed to do was add 4K and leave 24fps in it! done...maybe a few tweaks...but nope..The only reason why I would like to stay in the Canon ecosystem is because I like the lenses I have and I don't see a need for full frame-I do video 95% of the times. In fact, I would love a small Canon camera that could do 1080p as good as the C100 mk2! The 1080p is very very usable. 4K would be a bonus for now...
I'm testing the a6400 and is a good camera-I use it on a Ronin S but I thought that the 90D would be a good upgrade from the 70d and in several aspects it is for sure...the EOS R is a bit much for my budget but I will take a look at it at my local camera store. It is as much as the Sony a7iii. Also there are rumours of a more professsional EOS R model next year. hmmm
I understand that using APS-C lenses with the adaptor would crop to 1.7 is it? or higher? it would be nice to use the full frame like in the Sony cameras. Oh well...I can't have it all. I dont do narrative so 30p is just fine. Don't need 24p. Thanks for the advice.
E
Old September 16th, 2019, 10:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Doesn’t using lens that need to be cropped on full frame sensor defeat the purpose of owning a full frame camera?
good point...well...I don't want to purchase full frame lenses-I want to use my current APS-C lenses from the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, the Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 and lots of Canon STM lenses..
.I need good 1080p almost Canon C100 mk2 quality- can I get it from the EOS R? hmm...
maybe I should check some reviews.
thanks
E
Old September 16th, 2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post

The RP is cheaper...some odd frame rates in HD and 4K which will make it "problematic" to combine footage-no 24p in 1080p and no 30p on 4k..hmmm
why Canon Why!!?
Old September 16th, 2019, 10:36 AM   #9
Inner Circle

It all depends on what you’re trying to do. I run 70/80d on gimbal with a pancake 24mm (38mm cropped). Super light, articulated touch screen, best autofocus available.

Another option Black Magic 6k which I believe native mount Canon lenses.
Old September 16th, 2019, 11:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I have been using the 70D on a Ronin S too...with either the 10-18STM for outdoors and even a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 inside (heavy set up). Results are ok. I just wish the camera was better up to ISO 3200 or a bit higher- I know the options are Sony etc but I'm still hoping to stay with Canon and continue to enjoy my APS-C lenses. I will look closely at the RP and the 90D as they are close in price and still 'affordable".
Otherwise I will keep the Sony a6400 and get a few lenses...darn Canon!
thanks guys
E
Old September 16th, 2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I’m filming a wedding this weekend with A7iii + 24mm on a gimbal (35mm would be more affordable)... I’m more comfortable with my Canon but not good in low light.
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:57 PM   #12
Regular Crew

hi there...right...I have been testing a Sony a6400 with a Sigma 16mm f1.4 on either a Ronin S or a Xhiyun Crane v2...the Ronin is heavier but more reliable I think...the footage looks good but I confess I'm more comfortable with the 70D even if it lacks zebras etc..I just find it easier to use and get the shots I need...
I will look a bit more into the 90d...if the low light has improved and the quality of the footage i may do it...but I know there are other cameras with more capabilities. I just don't want to use adapters to use my canon lenses on a sony....good luck with the the a7iii...
Old September 21st, 2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Regular Crew

If you are using exclusively APS-C (ie, EF-S) lenses, there's no reason to pay for a full frame body, either mirrorless or dSLR.

So, that leaves either the 90D or the M6 mk2 as options. The M6 Mk2 has the same sensor and AF as its dSLR sibling, so you decide if its shorter battery duration is acceptable (and you'll need an adaptor from EF to M mount). And it seems that the M6 Mk2 doesn't offer audio/headphone connectors (not surprising, due to its small size).

Hope that helps,
N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:52 PM   #14
Regular Crew

hi there...yep...I came to the same conclusion that going for something like the EOS R would be overkill...so I got a 90D and I tested it against the a6400 (in both HD and 4k), also against my 70D (in HD of course), and the C100mk2 in HD. Just a personal project on the weekend.

I used a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 lens on the Canon 90D with a neutral profile-contrast all the way to the left,saturation to the left and sharpness at 2 and for the Sony a6400 I used a Sigma 16mm f1.4 (but set to f1.8) with standard profile- contrast -3, saturation -2 sharpness 0...
I can say that the Sony a6400 is MORE DETAILED in 4k than the Canon in both cropped and uncropped 4k. The Canon is better than HD of course but when compared to the Sony is clear that the Sony has more detail-not artificial sharpeness...and yet, the video quality from the Canon is very pleasant. yep..the Canon colour gets me. Now for HD the quality is about the same really. But comparing the 90d in hd to the 70d in hd is another story. The 90D is clearer and the image feels firmer, more detailed. Definitely an improvement.
The C100 mk2 is a good Cinema camera (I paid too much for it but oh well...) with GOOD 1080p and I can say that the 90D in hd would be a good B camera for it shooting in HD.
Shooting in 4k and downrezing to HD makes video look better (no surprise there)- The Sony will still be my gimbal camera but I will try the 90d more for corporate interviews etc as a B camera or even the main camera. I know Sony has more to offer for video- the a6400 is a great camera (but not a fun camera really...it needs a touchscreen for menus etc) where as the Canon 90d is a fun camera to use and I can continue to use my Canon lenses damn it! if I really go PRO one day then I may ditch all this and go for the quality of the GH5...6 or whatever it is..or full frame...but that will be another story...
the 90D could have been better...darn Canon! and I feel that this could be the last great Canon APS C DSLR...yep...thanks - may post a video shot with the 90d soon
Old October 16th, 2019, 08:51 AM   #15
Major Player

canon is updating via software the 90D to add 24p!

but i have read about the 4k image being a tad soft.

can some of that softness be recovered via edit software or tweaking the picture profiles?

above someone was using the sigma 18-35mm on the 90D.

that could be a wonderful combo.

can anyone share 90D footage?

thanks in advance.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD