DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Remote 5DmkII trigger thanks to Vincent Laforet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/139242-remote-5dmkii-trigger-thanks-vincent-laforet.html)

Dan Chung December 9th, 2008 09:47 AM

Remote 5DmkII trigger thanks to Vincent Laforet

Vincent is my new hero Tips and Tricks for the 5D MKII - Part I Vincent Laforet’s Blog

A simple IR remote will trigger the camera start/stop in Live View, the wifi pack will allow remote trigger too! Suddenly there are so many things I can do that I couldn't before!

Dan

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2008 10:03 AM

Thanks for the link, Dan -- I knew about the WiFi grip, but I didn't know that the little Canon IR remotes could trigger the movie mode, as described on page 125 of the manual (guess I should start reading the manual). The Canon parts are the RC-1 and RC-5; each is about $25.

Dan Chung December 9th, 2008 10:44 AM

Yep, and I'm thinking 3rd party $15 clones from ebay should work just fine too. If someone is clever they could build an optical cable to run to the IR port so the trigger could be used from behind the camera too. I see plenty of custom options here.

Dan

Bernard Racelis December 10th, 2008 06:23 PM

This would only be useful if you're happy with auto exposure.

In practice, I almost always need to turn the rear dial (exposure compensation) and push the exposure lock button each and every time before I start recording. When you stop, you lose the exposure settings and need to do the same thing all over again before you start again.

Sometimes, I just let the camera continue recording in between shots/scenes instead of stopping/starting just so that I don't lose the exposure lock/settings.

Matthew Roddy December 10th, 2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Racelis (Post 976005)
When you stop, you lose the exposure settings and need to do the same thing all over again before you start again.

GADS!!! That's AWFUL!!! TERRIBLE news!!!
For consistency, that's a frighting prospect to have to set exposure for every shot.
Don't get me wrong: I'd do a white balance and exposure for every setup, but not every shot...
Bummer, that...

Don Miller December 10th, 2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Racelis (Post 976005)
This would only be useful if you're happy with auto exposure.

Dan uses Nikon lenses with manual aperture, so he's not using auto exposure. The biggest risk might be ISO or shutter being off by a stop. Acceptable in most situations.

Bernard Racelis December 10th, 2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 976029)
Dan uses Nikon lenses with manual aperture, so he's not using auto exposure. The biggest risk might be ISO or shutter being off by a stop. Acceptable in most situations.

It's still autoexposure (aperture priority).
And the shutter and ISO are auto.

Kenneth Tong December 11th, 2008 01:55 AM

If Nikon lens is used, does the 5D Mk II still have auto focus in movie mode?

Don Miller December 11th, 2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth Tong (Post 976160)
If Nikon lens is used, does the 5D Mk II still have auto focus in movie mode?

With Canon glass it really t doesn't really have autofocus in movie mode. It's more like a blind person looking for a lost item.

With 3rd part glass you can zoom and focus before recording, but that's it.