DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Longest memory and battery for 5D2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/140382-longest-memory-battery-5d2.html)

Alex Anderson December 27th, 2008 05:17 PM

Longest memory and battery for 5D2?

What type of memory will work in this camera for the longest HD video record time? 32GB? What brand/type? What batteries last the longest that fit this camera?

Alex

Daniel Browning December 27th, 2008 09:12 PM

I just tested a Transcend 32 GB 133x for $80 for over an hour and a half recording time and it worked flawlessly. It took me 30 minutes to read the card, much slower than my 300X 8GB Lexars.

Two Canon batteries with the 'grip' would be the longest-lasting official solution. Personally, I'm going to try an aftermarket solution: a Hutech DC converter (EOS211) and deep cycle marine batteries.

Alex Anderson December 27th, 2008 10:02 PM

Thanx for the info. If a 32GB stick records 1 1/2 hours of HD video, what time can I get on different battery setups that you mention? What time does the stock battery give in this situation and then the double battery grip? Can I get one battery that will cover 1 1/2 hours?

Alex

Jon Fairhurst December 28th, 2008 01:24 AM

Our approach is to use 4GB Extreme IV cards. With the current rebate, you can buy three and get them for $20 apiece. Our data flow will have us writing each card to a data DVD for our long term archive.

Alex Anderson December 28th, 2008 08:29 AM

My goal is to shoot as long a possible without having to stop an interview or miss some action. Mostly docs. The large sensor and low light quality in a small package has my interest. Especially if a 32GB card is only $80.

Marcus Marchesseault December 28th, 2008 09:33 AM

You do realize that you will need to stop interviews every 12 minutes due to the 4Gig file limitation? Yes, it will be less intrusive than switching cards but the 5DII is not a long form camera.

Alex Anderson December 28th, 2008 11:03 AM

It will not stitch consecutive 4gb files on a 32GB memory card without stopping the recording? If so, that is a big bummer and limits the camera even more. I now may pass on buying this camera since it gets up to possibly $4k or more.

Daniel Browning December 29th, 2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Anderson (Post 984888)
What time does the stock battery give in this situation and then the double battery grip?

I don't know. There is probably a reviewer somewhere that has measured the longevity of the battery.

Quote:

Can I get one battery that will cover 1 1/2 hours?

No, Canon only sells one battery for the 5d2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Anderson (Post 985078)
It will not stitch consecutive 4gb files on a 32GB memory card without stopping the recording?

No, it will not. Just another in a long line of bugs that Canon could fix easily in a firmware update. If the XH-A1s is any guide, they will wait one year and release the firmware upgrade in the form of the 5d2 "s" for $2700.

Alex Anderson December 30th, 2008 08:23 PM

So what actually happens when using a 32gb card? it stops recording at 4gb/12 minutes and then what? Reset all the tricked settings and start recording again for another seven cycles of this routine?

Daniel Browning December 30th, 2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Anderson (Post 986402)
So what actually happens when using a 32gb card? it stops recording at 4gb/12 minutes and then what? Reset all the tricked settings and start recording again for another seven cycles of this routine?

Yep.

It stops recording and removes the AE lock, so you have to start over from the beginning with trying to trick the camera into the desired settings and hitting the AE button at *just* the right time, then start recording again.

I did a 3-camera live event video recording recently and went through those gyrations every 12 minutes for about two hours.

Daniel Browning December 30th, 2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

what time can I get on different battery setups that you mention?

When I get a chance to try out my Hutech EOS211 DC coupler and deep cycle marine battery, I will try to remember to post back here with the times.

Jack Tran January 1st, 2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Browning (Post 986405)
Yep.

It stops recording and removes the AE lock, so you have to start over from the beginning with trying to trick the camera into the desired settings and hitting the AE button at *just* the right time, then start recording again.

I did a 3-camera live event video recording recently and went through those gyrations every 12 minutes for about two hours.

Weird, so the camera actually stops once it hits the 4gb limit?
I thought it was the same problem like their AVCHD cam, where you are missing 2 frames from the creation of the first clip and the second clip, but the cam itself it still recording?
If it stops recording, thats useless for live events...

>>Canon Vixia HG10 2GB File Limit Headache - The Digital Video Information Network

I read from canon that you can get ~4hr with the battery grip of record time.

Daniel Browning January 1st, 2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Tran (Post 987243)
Weird, so the camera actually stops once it hits the 4gb limit?

Yes.

Quote:

I thought it was the same problem like their AVCHD cam, where you are missing 2 frames from the creation of the first clip and the second clip, but the cam itself it still recording?
I wish. It would have been nice.