DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon 5DmkII and Bower FD-EOS adapter on Canon lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/143159-canon-5dmkii-bower-fd-eos-adapter-canon-lenses.html)

Olof Ekbergh February 5th, 2009 05:43 PM

Canon 5DmkII and Bower FD-EOS adapter on Canon lenses

I thought some may find this interesting. I just got the adapter and dusted off some FL lenses from the 60's and 70's. And did a quick and dirty shoot in our office. No lighting, just natural light from a big window. The lenses are identified in the video.

The old lenses have very different look to them (from each other too). The 50mm has a nice silk effect, if I really clean the old dust and grime out I will probably loose that effect.

The Bower does add a 1.25 x to lenses. You get full manual control of the aperture and focus, on this shoot I did not use any ND's.

This does add a few more interesting looks to our arsenal, we mostly shoot XDHD. The bokeh is really cool even in the 24mm lens.

I had problems with Vimeo so I stuck it on my GoDaddy site.

Link: Testing Bower FD-EOS adapter on old lenses and Canon 5DmkII on Vimeo

Julius Tan February 7th, 2009 11:43 AM

The video link you've provided is not working at my end.

Aaron Huang February 8th, 2009 05:16 AM

Looks alright. Some of the shots is bit soft. Do you notice any light loss with the FD lens?

Olof Ekbergh February 8th, 2009 08:13 AM

There is about a 1 stop, maybe 2/3 stop loss.

Yes the 50mm is very soft. The lens has been sitting around for 30 years and has quite a bit of dust on the elements. I did not clean it just to get an the silk stocking look.

I like the 24mm wide but out of focus look, to blur bg even more focus a foot closer to camera than subject.

The 35mm has more contrast and saturation, and is pretty sharp.

I like the 135mm extreme blur.

This setup is definitely not super sharp as most modern L lenses that I have. But that is not always what you want.

I just had these lenses sitting on a shelf with a bunch of filters and a couple old FTb bodies, not used since the 80's. Now with this $50.00 adapter (B&H) I can use them for special effects in video, I love that.

Mostly we shoot video with an EX3. And now with the MKII we have a bunch more looks available. I shoot a lot with the 17-40 L and the 100-400 L.

I don't think the MKII is a great A-cam but a great special tool.

Olof Ekbergh February 8th, 2009 08:26 AM

BTW.

The video posted is a .mov, you need QT to view it.

I gave up on Vimeo after uploads failed, it has worked fine in the past.

I will post some more samples from these lenses when I use them in a project.

I will also post some interesting shots in a dark roundhouse of a steam engine shot with the 17mm. I was very impressed by the lowlight capability of the MKII.

Gary Szunyogh February 8th, 2009 11:06 PM

I tried 2 FD's today

I cannot focus them at all. I used a 24 2.8 and a 135 f2. The colors were good, but never in focus on stills, it seemed better in video. Not sure which brand of adapter I have but it does have the glass.