DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Monitoring Video via HDMI (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/143764-monitoring-video-via-hdmi.html)

Matthew Roddy February 14th, 2009 01:54 AM

Monitoring Video via HDMI

I'll be selling my Marshall HD-SDI 10.4" monitor and will be looking for a smaller (probably 7-8") HDMI monitor.
I'm settling into the idea of one of these two:
Marshall | V-LCD70P-HDMI-AB 7" LCD Field | V-LCD70P-HDMI-AB
(also seen here:)
Marshall Electronics -- V-LCD70P-3GSDI

Or this Ikan:
ikancorp.com: V8000HDMI 8" High Definition TFT LCD Monitor

The Ikan is a little lighter, but the viewing angle is less and so is the contrast and brightness.

I can't afford Da Big Boyz (like the Panny for $2K+, etc), so these seemed like viable options.

Is there a good way to approach this purchase. Any conventional wisdom available?

Thanks for the thoughts, ideas and advice!

Dan Chung February 14th, 2009 02:43 AM

Matthew, I've just received a new Ikan HDMI monitor for testing so I'll keep you posted. I have no experience of the Marshall.

Dan

Cody Dulock February 14th, 2009 08:49 AM

Dan, I would also like to know about your testing with the Ikan monitor and the 5D Mark II. Let us know!

Matthew Roddy February 14th, 2009 12:21 PM

I almost bought the Ikan outright because I've heard such good stuff. But that would have hurt the ol' bank account too much, so I decided to wait for another paycheck or two.
Then I saw that Marshall in DV Magazine. After reading about it, I am becoming convinced it's a better monitor, but it's tough to say.

One of the reasons I'm selling my Marshall 10.4" HD-SDI is the bad viewing angle, so I'm a bit hesitant about the smaller 7" HDMI version, but it SAYS it's better.
Wish there was a local place I could check it out - when it finally hits the streets.

Miklos Konczol February 16th, 2009 02:20 AM

What about 5.6" Ikan...it is coming soon:

Ikan | 5.6" HD LCD MONITOR w/HDMI | V5600 | B&H Photo Video

resulotion : 1024x600, HDMI conect, ufortunately we dont know more info at this time.

Toenis Liivamaegi February 16th, 2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miklos Konczol (Post 1012798)
What about 5.6" Ikan...it is coming soon:

Ikan | 5.6" HD LCD MONITOR w/HDMI | V5600 | B&H Photo Video

resulotion : 1024x600, HDMI conect, ufortunately we dont know more info at this time.

Got to love that "GUDES" QA button on that 5.6" Ikan as I always want to set my gudes to 2.40

Sean Seah February 17th, 2009 07:03 AM

YouTube - iKan V8000 HDMI

Check out this video on the Ikan HDMI. Shows the details in the package.

Toenis Liivamaegi February 17th, 2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1012898)
Got to love that "GUDES" QA button on that 5.6" Ikan as I always want to set my gudes to 2.40

It only took one day to replace the image on BH site with updated typo free one.

T

Matthew Roddy February 17th, 2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1013536)
It only took one day to replace the image on BH site with updated typo free one.

T

Would be nice if they released some specs (not even on Ikan's site - yet). If they're equal to Marshall's new entry, this looks awesome!