DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Inexpensive audio solutions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/144710-inexpensive-audio-solutions.html)

David C. Smith February 26th, 2009 09:43 PM

Inexpensive audio solutions?

I was just invited to a sponsor event for a project I'm in pre production on.

No money at all yet and won't start rolling til next year.

I may have an opportunity to do some interviews at this event that would be useful in a short teaser that may help in fund raising.

I've decided to take along my 5DII in case I do get a chance do do these interviews.

I'd like to pick up a lav, shotgun and two channel digital recorder because I'm concerned about not being able to monitor the audio out of the camera.

Would appreciate suggestions for a system in the $1000 - $1400 range total.

Thanks

Dave

Michael Friedman February 26th, 2009 09:48 PM

As far as audio recorders go...

I have the Zoom H4 but which works well but the interface / menus / buttons are pretty terrible. I am looking to get a MicroTrac as a replacement. I read mixed reviews about all of the small recorders but those were my two finalists.

David C. Smith February 26th, 2009 09:59 PM

I thought this looked interesting as far as recorders go.

Tascam | DP-004 Digital Pocketstudio Portable | DP-004 | B&H

It has a mini jack for a headphone output.

I'm thinking of splitting the output and running it to both the 5DII for a scratch track and a set of cans for monitoring.

Michael Friedman February 26th, 2009 10:37 PM

That's a good find, although I am not sure I would want to give up the option of using my old phantom power mic when I need to. I do like the idea of physical knobs though. It also appears to be 44khz only. That may be a deal breaker.

Dan Chung February 26th, 2009 10:55 PM

I would add the new Edirol R-09HR to your shortlist. R-09HR High Resolution WAVE/MP3 Recorder

I know the BBC has started using these for some applications and I find the previous model to be very good although lacking phantom power.

Dan

Michael Friedman February 26th, 2009 11:27 PM

Isn't the Edirol one channel, not two?

Jon Fairhurst February 27th, 2009 01:57 AM

We use the Microtrack II. It supports two channels of balanced inputs with phantom power. The inputs, however, are 1/4" TRS. You need a pair of XLR to TRS cables, which cost about $15 apiece.

The headphone output works as a monitor, but only when actually recording. You have to hit record and then set levels. This is good in that it ensures that you never get your start and stop recording button presses mixed up.

The preamps aren't noise free, so it's still important to set your levels properly - even at 24 bits. Fortunately, the noise footprint of the device can be removed from the signal *very* cleanly with standard noise reduction software. (I use SoundForge 9, but I'm confident that most any modern NR software will do the trick.) I've had many recordings with noise footprints that don't remove cleanly - and that leave dialog sounding underwater. This noise is as clean to remove as any I've ever encountered.

Tomaso Perrone February 27th, 2009 09:17 AM

I second the H4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Friedman (Post 1019164)
As far as audio recorders go...

I have the Zoom H4 but which works well but the interface / menus / buttons are pretty terrible. I am looking to get a MicroTrac as a replacement. I read mixed reviews about all of the small recorders but those were my two finalists.

For the money - it's a great recorder and you can use it with XLR mikes too - Yes - the interface is a little "quirky" but once you know it - it's fine

Tom

Guy Cochran February 27th, 2009 11:25 AM

Kickin' around the idea of the HHB Flashmic YouTube - HHB Flashmic - MP3/WAV microphone with 1GB memory
There is a cardioid version out now.

Brian Leahy February 27th, 2009 11:57 AM

There is a new version of the Zoom H4 comming out the "Zoom H4n" looks good

Samson - Zoom - H4n

David C. Smith February 27th, 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Leahy (Post 1019459)
There is a new version of the Zoom H4 comming out the "Zoom H4n" looks good

Samson - Zoom - H4n

Saw that but, it's not available yet and I need something by March 7th.

Dave Smith

David C. Smith February 27th, 2009 01:40 PM

Anyone work with this?

Fostex | FR-2 LE - 2-Channel Compact Flash Field | FR2 LE | B&H

A little pricey but it uses CF cards instead of SD. I wouldn't have to buy new cards and a reader.

Dave Smith

John Saunders March 1st, 2009 10:56 AM

I just got the sony PCM-D50 and it works great. It dosn't have XLR inputs though. This isn't a problem for me since I use a sound devices MixPre as the preamp. In my opinion no sub $1000 recorder with built in preamps is going to come close to the quality of the MixPre. It is a little bit of a hassle to have 2 boxes but its a lot cheaper than the Sound Devices 702.

Julian Frost March 2nd, 2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Smith (Post 1019522)

The FR2 LE is a great unit. I haven't yet used mine in conjunction with the 5D mk II, but it's high on my list of things to try (now that I can edit the 5D mk II files in Premier Pro CS3, thanks to Cineform's Neo Scene!).

Julian

Dana Rice March 2nd, 2009 07:47 PM

Anyone tried the Marantz 661? I've read some great reviews about it on the web.

Marantz | PMD661 Professional Portable Flash Field | PMD661