DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Which follow focus for 5DII? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/191134-follow-focus-5dii.html)

Peter Chang April 12th, 2009 09:39 PM

Which follow focus for 5DII?

What are the top recommendations out there? The Redrock FF looks like good bang for the buck. How does the Zacuto compare? Or the Chrosziel?
I'm using Nikon lenses, mostly primes.

Winston Ashley April 12th, 2009 10:37 PM

I use the indifocus system. It works fine with my rig. I use it with my 5dmk2 and my ex1.

Dan Brockett April 13th, 2009 07:33 PM

I've got the Red Rock, it's pretty decent but not reversible if you need to pull focus from the right hand side of the camera. There are a bunch of new FF units on the market, I would do your research. The RR used to be the best bang for the buck, not positive it still is, there are new ones from Cinevate, Petroff, etc.

In my experience, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't even use a FF unless you have a focus puller, if I am shooting alone, I just use the lens.

FFs are for film making, not run and gunning, they are a PITA when you change lenses.

Dan

Thi Ng April 14th, 2009 12:00 AM

FreshDV website has the video review the number of popular FF including the Red-Rock one.
ProVideo Coalition.com: FRESHDV by Matthew Jeppsen & Kendal Miller
-TN

Mark Hahn May 27th, 2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thi Ng (Post 1090375)
FreshDV website has the video review the number of popular FF including the Red-Rock one.
ProVideo Coalition.com: FRESHDV by Matthew Jeppsen & Kendal Miller
-TN

They review the original indiFocus from 2007. The new one is totally revamped. They seem to have specifically addressed the numerous problems in that review.

Steve Witt May 29th, 2009 08:53 AM

I am going with Cinevate's new Durus follow focus. It has a lifetime warranty and the quality and smoothness are supposed to be out of this world. It looks cool too.

Daniel Jackson May 29th, 2009 10:25 AM

I've got the RedRock and bought the indifocus rails to save money and I am happy with both. The carbon fiber rails were $100 plus I added a bogen/manfrotto video plate for about $60. The optional reversing gear on the RedRock FF makes the unit taller and works well if you intend on using the battery grip.

Mark Hahn May 29th, 2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson (Post 1150357)
I've got the RedRock and bought the indifocus rails to save money and I am happy with both. The carbon fiber rails were $100 plus I added a bogen/manfrotto video plate for about $60. The optional reversing gear on the RedRock FF makes the unit taller and works well if you intend on using the battery grip.

I'm getting an Indifocus setup. Where did you get the Manfrotto video plate? Is it really needed for my Manfrotto sticks?

Daniel Jackson May 29th, 2009 02:52 PM

No, you don't need it to mount to your tripod. I added the quick release plate so that getting the camera off and onto the rails was easier, also it allows for the camera to move forward and backwards to balance for a fluid head. You don't really need it, it's more a matter of convenience and it allows you to tighten everything down. The unit I bought was the manfrotto 577