DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Firmware update now available (link) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236547-firmware-update-now-available-link.html)

Chris Hurd June 1st, 2009 07:09 PM

Firmware update now available (link)

Just received from Canon USA:

---------------------------------------------

Hello,

This is a courtesy e-mail to inform you that the hotly anticipated firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera is now available.

This new firmware will accommodate a great number of user requests for manual exposure control in the EOS 5D Mark II video mode. Manual exposure control while shooting video on the EOS 5D Mark II is expected to make a big impact with cinematographers and videographers using the 5D Mark II for high-end HD video production.

Please follow the link below to the EOS 5D Mark II product page on the Canon U.S.A. Web site to download the new firmware. Let us know if you have any questions, thank you.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

---------------------------------------------

Click the Drivers & Downloads tab, then select:

Firmware Update Version 1.0.7 -- 9.09 MB -- 01/07/2009

Chris Hurd June 1st, 2009 07:14 PM

Who's got the first upgrade report? I'd do it myself but it's time to go outside and do evening chores (country living is great).

Tramm Hudson June 1st, 2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1152110)
Who's got the first upgrade report?

I'm flashing it now and will report when I have a dump of the ROM's for further analysis...

EDIT: It looks like manual control in video mode only works when "Movie Display" is selected. In "Stills display" and "Exposure simulation" it still would stop down my lens.

EDIT: There also appears to be a full-time 16:9 matte displayed in LiveView.

Bob Thompson June 1st, 2009 07:19 PM

I have it loaded and looking for controls

Yang Wen June 1st, 2009 07:22 PM

Just got installed! The amount of control is such a sigh of relief!!! It feels like a much more of a camera now with the Manual feature.

Now that we have the ability to control all 3 aspects while recording, there is need for dials without indents... it's very difficult to adjust the top dial without the camera rocking when shooting handheld.. But that's asking way to much out of the 5D2...

It's awesome as it is!

Bill Binder June 1st, 2009 07:22 PM

I've updated. Reading new manual pages right now (see pdf).

Bob Thompson June 1st, 2009 07:25 PM

Go to liveview and put the camera into M mode and you can make all the adjustments

Yang Wen June 1st, 2009 07:30 PM

They also seem to have fixed the frame drop issue when the aperture changes... I don't have a variable aperture zoom lens on hand but I changed the aperture while recording and no frame drops as far as I can tell!

Bob Thompson June 1st, 2009 07:34 PM

Tramm,

Thanks for all your help in getting Canon to come out with the firmware update, now just waiting for your audio controls and zebras.

Thanks so much

Bob

Bill Binder June 1st, 2009 07:35 PM

OMG... They are going to make a lot of ppl very happy today.

This is the way it should have been out of the box no doubt. THANK. YOU. CANON.

It looks like you can't be in exposure simulation mode to use it, which I kind of liked because you could bring up a live histogram, but whatever, THIS FRAKIN' ROCKS!

Dan Chung June 1st, 2009 07:41 PM

Chris,

I've actually been playing with the new firmware for a few days now and can report it all works in the way I anticipated. You'll want to set ISO exapnd if you haven't already to get the full range of ISOs.

Dan

Jay Bloomfield June 1st, 2009 07:44 PM

Dan,

Are the files still marked as 30.00 fps or are they 29.97 fps? Also, do the shutter and aperture show up correctly on the LCD in movie mode? I don't have a 5d2 (Yet, heh heh), but I do have to contend with editing the files. Thanks.

J

Bob Thompson June 1st, 2009 07:59 PM

With manual focus lenses just push the AF-ON button and you can tell your exposure within the + & - 2 range

Dan Chung June 1st, 2009 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jay,

Framerate in the file info still shows up as 30fps. The LCD does display correctly, check out this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...right-now.html

Funny nobody noticed!

Dan

Jay Bloomfield June 1st, 2009 08:07 PM

Dan,

Thanks. The frame rate is a minor annoyance, but at least the LCD display of settings works. I can't believe I missed that in your thread.

J