DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Should I still lock Exposure with new firmware? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236646-should-i-still-lock-exposure-new-firmware.html)

Victor Bieganek June 2nd, 2009 09:10 PM

Should I still lock Exposure with new firmware?

So with new firmware (in Manual Mode) is exposure lock still recommended to prevent corrupt data streams and dropped frames to the CF card?

Ryan Mueller June 2nd, 2009 09:30 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember being able to lock the exposure in manual mode? It would be nice if you could though to prevent accidentally bumping the dial and changing the exposure.

Josh Dahlberg June 2nd, 2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller (Post 1153197)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember being able to lock the exposure in manual mode? It would be nice if you could though to prevent accidentally bumping the dial and changing the exposure.

You're right (unless I'm also wrong), the * button doesn't lock exposure in manual mode.

Victor Bieganek June 2nd, 2009 10:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. I see I need to spend more time with the manual mode operations.

Julian Frost June 2nd, 2009 10:20 PM

You can move the on/off switch to the first (lower) ON position... that'll lock the thumb dial so you won't bump the aperture. You'd still be able to accidentally knock the shutter speed though.

Julian

Douglas Joseph July 8th, 2009 09:22 PM

So it possible to lock the exposure in Manual mode now? I was filming yesterday and I panned from a bright area, into a dark area, and the exposure changed automatically. This isn't good. Anybody got a solution?

Chris Hurd July 8th, 2009 09:36 PM

Douglas, if you're getting an exposure change in Manual mode, check to make sure that ISO isn't set to Auto.

The Exposure Lock button has no effect in Manual mode because Manual mode already is exposure locked, by definition.

Douglas Joseph July 9th, 2009 10:02 AM

That's it, Chris! Thanks, buddy. Some weight just lifted off my shoulders.

Chris Barcellos July 9th, 2009 12:10 PM

Doug: I forgot about setting up the proper settings in Live View mode, after I did a reset on the camera the other day. In Live view setting you need to be sure to select movie over exposure simulation in sub menu after selecting movie and still mode. Otherwise, camera continues to act as if it is automatic, even in the M mode.

Bill Binder July 10th, 2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1169140)
Douglas, if you're getting an exposure change in Manual mode, check to make sure that ISO isn't set to Auto.

This is the exact reason Canon should have left Exposure Lock functional in M mode. I do a lot of run/gun photography (and now some video) in indoor available light venues, so that capability would be really handy as I almost always in those scenarios set/lock to my widest aperture with 1/50th, and then use ISO from there. If * worked, I could have just easily press ed it again whenever I needed to change ISO, and then I know it would be locked again. However, at the end of the day, all it would have done was to have simplified the slightly cumbersome ISO change to a button push, so not that big of a deal I guess, but still...

Jon Fairhurst July 10th, 2009 12:36 PM

It would be great if a future version of Magic Lantern firmware would let us implement AE Lock, or swap the control of shutter and ISO. For video, shutter is the last thing we need to touch. Aperture and ISO and the two most important controls.

The reason that ISO lock and unlock would be nice is that Auto ISO is very nicely implemented with a smooth transition. It would be cool to be able to lock for one scene, move the camera to a lighter or darker view, unlock for a smooth transition, then re-lock. It would be great for a reality show look going from a basement to a sunny backyard. (And yes, this situation is rare and not everybody would tolerate this look - but for some, it's ideal.)

Having the top wheel available for ISO rather than shutter would be great for quick setups, but could never be used live as it adjusts in steps.

Sure, there are variable NDs, but you lose some light even when adjusted for maximum transmission.