DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Can I use a Rode NTG-2 with my 5DmkII? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/236878-can-i-use-rode-ntg-2-my-5dmkii.html)

Scott Gold June 6th, 2009 05:36 PM

Can I use a Rode NTG-2 with my 5DmkII?

I have a Rode NTG-2 mic and would like to use it on the 5DmkII. Would a XLR to 1/8" mini adapter be all I need to connect it????

Allan Black June 6th, 2009 05:59 PM

I haven't got that cam but you might find mounted on its shoe the NTG-2 is too long in front. Check that out.

Cheers.

Scott Gold June 6th, 2009 06:05 PM

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be huge but I'll be using a boom pole for interviews and narrative pieces.

Allan Black June 6th, 2009 06:31 PM

In that case, as it'll be unbalanced, to help avoid RF interference I wouldn't run a mic cable longer than about 10 feet.

Cheers.

Ryan Mueller June 6th, 2009 09:51 PM

I have been using the Rhode NTG-2 with the cam, but I have been using an external audio recorder (Zoom H4N) and the wireless Sennheiser Evolution brick system. I highly recommend looking into a solution such as this and I will say that I am extremely happy with the sound quality from the H4N, even though syncing can take some extra time due to having to tweak the audio and slow it down to get it to match longer clips.

For indoor interviews though, the NTG-2 is not the best choice of mics for capturing super clean audio unless you are shooting in on a sound stage, lol. I recommend investing in a good lav mic system to get the best results indoors. It will pick up far less reverb. There is also a hyper directional Rhode NT3 (I think that is the model) that is supposed to work very well in wet, reverb prone rooms.

Also check out this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...right-now.html for some info about the beachtek option of recording directly into the cam, there is some good info in there about hood loupes as well.

Also keep an eye on what Tramm is working on with the "Mark Free / Magic Lantern" software because he is trying to get us audio level meters and a bypass of the built in AGN feature that is really the audio killer of this camera when working with external mics.

Scott Gold June 7th, 2009 11:08 PM

Is anyone using a NTG-2 connected directly to the camera??? Is this even possible?

Roger Lee June 7th, 2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Gold (Post 1155436)
Is anyone using a NTG-2 connected directly to the camera??? Is this even possible?

Hello Scott,

I also have the NTG-2 and just got the 5DII yesterday.

It is possible to mount the NTG-2 to the 5DII but it may be a bit cumbersome. I'm going to experiment with the sound at some point.

You can get an adaptor-XLR(NTG-2) to pin for the 5DII.

Pearstone | LMT100 - Low to High Impedance Matching | 8111240

It will be interesting to see what others say.

Right now, I'm spending most of my time just figuring out how to edit the footage.

:)

Take care.

Rog Lee

Scott Gold October 31st, 2009 12:02 PM

Any luck Roger with connecting the NTG-2 to your 5DmkII?

Chris Barcellos October 31st, 2009 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Gold (Post 1155436)

Yes, I have, directly in, and mounted on the hot shoe, using a dampening holder. I think the attached file is one I did with that mic. This was noisy situation. When I bought it from BH, included with the kit I bought was the holder and an XLR to stereo miniplug input. It works fine. I shot a home coming of local gaurd soldiers, and it worked fine. I didn't even attempt to use Magic Lantern, and the AGC handled it well. It seems like when you are shooting in a noisy situation, like the one I was at, you don't have to worry about the AGC that much. I am attaching the a .wma file so you can judge for yourself.

Scene inside an hanger overhang, as buses of Afganistan returnees off load.. Bag pipes start up in the process.

Scott Gold October 31st, 2009 05:10 PM

Cool! I'm really interested in the connector your using. Do you have a part number or a close up picture of it?

Chris Barcellos October 31st, 2009 05:33 PM

This is the Kit I bought:

Rode | NTG-2 Condenser Shotgun Microphone Kit | | B&H Photo