DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Red Rock addresses the offset (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/237297-red-rock-addresses-offset.html)

Ray Bell June 13th, 2009 03:49 PM

Red Rock addresses the offset

Looks like Red Rock is showing a solution for the offset required when using the 5DII with
a shoulder mount and view finder...

Not bad....

eyeSpy Standard DSLR Rig

Erik Andersen June 13th, 2009 08:58 PM

This looks beautiful to me, very tempted to order the "deluxe" version. Does it come in Canon red? ;)

Ray Bell June 14th, 2009 07:54 AM

The one thing I like about the Redrock setup vs the Zacuto setup is that with the
Redrock setup I can add just a few more parts, like another handle, and I could use
the setup to rail my HV20/adaptor too... so I wouldn't have to purchase two
different rail setups... :-)

The Zacuto is very specific to the 5DII, and I think they also did a great job of that setup
too... and yes Zacuto has addressed the offset too with their setup...

Here's a pic of the Zacuto...

DSLR Rapid Fire

One of the things I like about the Zacuto is it puts both of your hands on the camera for
controling the camera settings...

Ryan Mueller June 14th, 2009 12:02 PM

I ordered the standard shoulder mount last week, now I am really tempted to purchase the offset kit and the riser plate. This on top of purchasing the Durus FF is going to put me in the poor house! Oh well, if I end up under a bridge at least I'll have one hell of a setup to document my experience.

Chris Barcellos June 14th, 2009 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you aren't using a mat box, you can probably do what I did with this set up. See pic attached. I just added a mounting plate that offsets the camera. My DFocus follow focus had enough adjustment to accomodate the camera being moved left of center of the rods.

Glen Elliott June 14th, 2009 06:41 PM

That's a trip- I LITTERALLY just configured my rig as bellow for a shoot this past weekend (see pic below). PS I see them listing the "microFinder loupe accessory for optical viewfinder" but don't see it pictured in the kits they have listed. Additionally I STILL don't see the counter-balance weights for sale yet. The accessory cheese plate has been available for quite some time but not the weights.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention to anyone considering buying any of these new "eye spy" bundles- from experience, you will NOT like the handle/grip mounted directly to the 15mm rails. It doesn't grip tight enough and will easily torque. I have a hard enough time getting them to grip on "grooved" handle rod grips which are designed to stop the handle from torquing. I've already returned on of my handles that I simply couldn't get tight enough. :(

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Laz.../offsetrig.jpg

Steve Henry June 15th, 2009 02:30 AM

So Glen, is that offset really enough to make the optical viewfinder workable? I got a Hoodman just waiting for something practical and sturdy. I can't tell from the pics. And where might the "loupe accessory" be mounted? If it all works and the handles can be made to grip harder, it looks like a pretty nice compactish kit that I think I might want to get. Thanks.

Ryan Mueller June 15th, 2009 08:08 AM

Hey Glen, how l long did it take Red Rock to ship your rig after you ordered it?

Glen Elliott June 15th, 2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Henry (Post 1158657)
So Glen, is that offset really enough to make the optical viewfinder workable? I got a Hoodman just waiting for something practical and sturdy. I can't tell from the pics. And where might the "loupe accessory" be mounted? If it all works and the handles can be made to grip harder, it looks like a pretty nice compactish kit that I think I might want to get. Thanks.

As I mentioned I haven't seen the loupe accessory yet. It's listed as part of their new eye spy kits but not picured??? However I'd assume it mounts to a set of 15mm rails just behind the camera.

I configured my rig this way not necessarily to be used with a loupe but to center the camera in front of my face. It works excellently that way. However I don't think there is a huge benefit to it being 3" to the left for use with a loupe. It may actually line up better with your right eye without the offset.

Glen Elliott June 15th, 2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller (Post 1158719)
Hey Glen, how l long did it take Red Rock to ship your rig after you ordered it?

I've had good experiences with them thus far in regards to turn around time. Both orders I shipped (1 for the full rig and another for accessories) both shipped the very next day.

Don Miller June 15th, 2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 1158321)

The Zacuto is very specific to the 5DII,

Maybe so, but their copy writer works hard at obscuring that fact. One downside of apparently paying by the word......

Ryan Mueller June 15th, 2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott (Post 1158783)
I've had good experiences with them thus far in regards to turn around time. Both orders I shipped (1 for the full rig and another for accessories) both shipped the very next day.

Thanks Glen. I was just kind of curious because I ordered mine on the 3rd and my shoulder mount is still waiting to ship. I don't see why they don't have a phone number. I want to call them and order an offset kit as well. (Edit: I feel like an idiot! I found their number. They just don't have it listed in their online store. LOL)

One question about adding an FF to the shoulder mount; I guess the riser block is required to position a follow focus unit properly? Or will it work without the riser?

Steve Weiss June 16th, 2009 09:48 AM

Zacuto Gorilla Kits work on multiple cameras

Just to clarify somethings, the Zacuto gorilla kits can work on multiple cameras.

Here is a gorilla type kit on the Sony PMW-EX3: Zacuto USA 888-294-3456 | Zacuto Girls

They will also work on the Sony PMW-EX1, Panasonic HPX170, HVX200, HVX200a, etc. Not to mention, they will also work on the GH-1 and the Nikon D90. They are not specific to the Canon 5d Mark II.