DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   aperture or similar for video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/239642-aperture-similar-video.html)

Anton Chernenko July 24th, 2009 04:51 AM

aperture or similar for video?

Hello!

Does anyone know of any software that works similar to Aperture, or iPhoto, where one can give key words, sort video etc? I've shot many videos by now, it's getting pretty hard to find the one I need quickly, filename does not provide enough info as well as a date of shooting.

Nigel Barker July 24th, 2009 10:30 AM

iMovie can handle film clips just the same as it does still photos. You can even scrub through a thumbnail for each Event to see thumbnails of the individual clips. The only problem is that iMovie ignores the .THM files associated with each .MOV. As these are jpeg thumbnails with EXIF information detailing aperture, shutter, ISO etc it's a great shame as that information can be useful.

Yang Wen July 24th, 2009 11:31 AM

I would think any professional NLE will have advanced file management functionality. I know Sony Vegas does..

Jim Newberry July 25th, 2009 01:12 AM

Expression Media works well for this. You can drop a folder of .mov files onto an EM catalog, and it will automatically find any existing metadata. Then you can sort by size, file type, date, etc. You can also add your own keywords.

Nigel Barker July 25th, 2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1176067)
I would think any professional NLE will have advanced file management functionality.

You obviously haven't used FCP:-)

Anton Chernenko July 25th, 2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1176402)
You obviously haven't used FCP:-)

I use FCE and I do not have anything like this. I keep all files in many places and find them based on my notes and dates (well, also folder names and file names)..ridiculous..

Nigel Barker July 25th, 2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Chernenko (Post 1176470)
I use FCE and I do not have anything like this. I keep all files in many places and find them based on my notes and dates (well, also folder names and file names)..ridiculous..

That was my point exactly:-) The statement that
Quote:

I would think any professional NLE will have advanced file management functionality.
made me giggle as FCP (& evidently FCE) doesn't have anything like this. When we have a lot of footage to sort through my wife will sometimes drop it all into iMovie as the facilities for sorting out video clips are so good. Having decided which clips she wants to use she then uses FCP to do the actual editing.

Tommi Hares July 25th, 2009 11:23 AM

I use Picasa. :)

Evan Donn July 25th, 2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1176509)
That was my point exactly:-) The statement that made me giggle as FCP (& evidently FCE) doesn't have anything like this.

Actually, it does - it's called Final Cut Server.

Anton Chernenko July 25th, 2009 12:11 PM

So, I tried a microsoft thing, suggested above. looks fine, expect dropped frames while watching inside the program. I assume it won't disturb me much since it is just to find the clip I need, no to work on it.

Andrew Clark July 26th, 2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommi Hares (Post 1176525)
I use Picasa. :)

Tommi -

How well does Picassa play the 5d2 files? Any stuttering or is it smooth?

Tommi Hares August 2nd, 2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Clark (Post 1177081)
Tommi -

How well does Picassa play the 5d2 files? Any stuttering or is it smooth?

It's smooth. Atleast on my 24" iMac and Picasa 3 Beta.

Louis Maddalena August 10th, 2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Donn (Post 1176543)
Actually, it does - it's called Final Cut Server.

I was going to say this. Final Cut Server will do what you are looking for, as well as share the files over a network.