DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Review of new Zacuto Z-Finder V2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/304487-review-new-zacuto-z-finder-v2.html)

Phil Bloom August 21st, 2009 08:43 AM

Review of new Zacuto Z-Finder V2

my review of the v2 is here:

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Review of new Zacuto Z-Finder V2

it's rather nifty!

Cuong Dinh August 21st, 2009 08:52 AM

Really good review. I can't wait to receive it.
Thank Philip.

Cuong Dinh

Chad Dyle August 21st, 2009 10:06 AM

I've gotta say that it adds a whole new dimension to this camera. I also have the Zacuto DSLR Gunstock Shooter and they were great together. You can hold the camera up to your face for a great view of the LCD and you are able to manually focus without shaking the camera. Money well spent.

Dave Contreras August 21st, 2009 12:57 PM

Thanks for the review! I just ordered on 2 days ago and I hope to get before my trip to Spain.

Denis OKeefe August 21st, 2009 03:20 PM

Any notes on how this compares to the Hoodman?

Bruce Foreman August 21st, 2009 09:29 PM

The Hoodman optics have no magnification. The image is either 1:1 or a tad smaller so accurate focus will depend on using the camera's "focus assist" magnification. I have the T1i and the Hoodman but also ordered the CAVISION viewfinder with 6X eyepiece. Originally designed (as I understand it) for the 5D MkII, it needs an extra "riser" piece to get the camera up high enough so the viewfinder fits so you can see all but the very bottom of the LCD (where the setting data and battery check resides).

The Zacuto V2 is MUCH SIMPLER to mount and remove and will far outpace the Hoodman in videomaking utility.

And I haven't even seen one...

Dan Brockett August 23rd, 2009 07:57 PM

Waiting to have mine shipped back to me, trading my V1.0 for the 2.0

Dan

Steve Cahill August 24th, 2009 05:21 AM

The new Z Finder is a improvement over the Hoodman, it is designed for use with the 5D. I can view more of the LCD screen at once. I did however have to make a extension for it to get the focus correct for my eyesight. Being farsighted, I needed 1/4" more depth to pull it into sharp focus for my eye. With glasses it was no issue to get focus as designed. I have the diopter focus extended at its maximum. Since I do NOT have to wear glasses to use the 5D as a stills camera through the viewfinder, I expected the same of myself using a magnifier, but perhaps I am in denial.

The Z Finder is slightly bigger- bulky and thus weights a bit more. I did mange to bump the finder and have it fall off. I caught it before it hit the sand on the beach. I would suggest using the strap for it. I will be using it for now on.

Things I would like to see.

1. An extension, to get the Z finder away from the LCD for folks who do not want to wear glasses and who are nearsighted.

2. Better lanyard - strap, cord type, the present one is too wide. I will be replacing that so it has a tie down on the tripod- or Zacuto plate, so when I bump it it does not go airborne.

All in all the The Z finder is a very good focus aid for the 5D along with the camera's zoom function. Getting sharp focus is much improved when working with the camera. Now if they could make a Z finder adapter for the EX1, that would speak volumes.

iPhone Pics here @ Production - Home

Yang Wen August 24th, 2009 03:24 PM

So obviously this is only useful when shooting with the 5D2's rear plane perpendicular to the tangent of the the shooter's face and also only while the camera is held at eye level. When you're shooting on a tripod, you have to be able to get your eye to the exact same level as the finder.

This makes it impossible to shoot while looking at the LCD even slightly off angle.. So if you want to do simple tilt shots with your wrist, you can't view the LCD..

Jon Fairhurst August 24th, 2009 04:02 PM

I only use the HoodLoupe on my shoulder rig. For all other uses, I'd rather have a monitor...

Chris Barcellos August 24th, 2009 04:16 PM

My experience is similar to Jon. Tripod mount generally means a monitor or open LCD.

Bill Davis August 26th, 2009 09:54 PM

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a fine product.

But I've got to say I was surprised at the price point. $400 for a simple lens based optical viewfinder with NO active electronics? That just seems a bit wacky.

Look, I'm not against spending good money for video equipment (just ask my wife - or look around my studio sometimes.)

But I just went out to buy a new flat screen on-set client convenience monitor and ended up with a Costco 19" Sony Bravia LCD TV with HDMI input that was 1/3 less money than they're asking for this plastic eyepiece.

Yes, I know all about low run small market economics verses commodity pricing. Heck, the carrying case I ordered to haul this new Client monitor around cost within $100 of the monitor itself. That's weird enough.

But it still seems to me that Zacuto is relying pretty heavily on the idea that a $2500 still camera rig should suddenly support an accessory ecosystem that's priced more like Red accessories and less like the camcorder accessories designed for rigs at a more modest price point.

Yep, it's a free market. And I'm all for unfettered capitalism - mostly. But after years of buying expensive accessories for relatively inexpensive equipment (wanna buy a couple of underwater housings for digital still cameras I no longer use?) I'm gonna sit out this go round.

Particularly if it turns out - as has happened to me before, a "7d Mk 2" shows up in the reasonable future and we have to groan loudly upon discovering Canon "upgraded" it by installing a DIFFERENT LCD screen size.

At least with my 7" Marshall Monitor I can move it camera to camera with impunity.

Hopefully.

Maybe.

Chris Barcellos August 26th, 2009 11:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have to agree that seems really high. The set up in attached pics cost about $12.00 and does the same thing. Part were scavenged hot shoe mount from a discarded mic shock mount, a 10 inch piece of aluminum, a simple piece of conduit, some black tape and a $ 7.00 achromat from the Surplus Shed. You mount the achromat at a distance that fits your eyes. In bright conditions, I simple drape a black cloth over the camera and can see fine that way. I bet it does as good a job as these others.

Dan Brockett August 27th, 2009 09:34 AM

FWIW, the Zacuto is expensive but the three 5D MKII owners who I have shown it to so far have all agreed that it was far superior to any of the other solutions on the market. Expensive, but it does something that no other setup on the market does, nicely magnify the entire screen while shading 100% from external light. It is better than the Hoodman, but yes, it does cost a lot more.

Dan

Bruce G. Cleveland August 27th, 2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1264802)
So obviously this is only useful when shooting with the 5D2's rear plane perpendicular to the tangent of the the shooter's face and also only while the camera is held at eye level. When you're shooting on a tripod, you have to be able to get your eye to the exact same level as the finder.

This makes it impossible to shoot while looking at the LCD even slightly off angle.. So if you want to do simple tilt shots with your wrist, you can't view the LCD..

Yang thanks so much for pointing this out to me. I should have thought more about how much I was actually going to be using this product and most of the time I am not attached to a tripod. I have cancelled my order for the Eyepiece.

Jerry

Phil Bloom August 28th, 2009 01:03 PM

sorry for not joining in the conversation. my notifications from dvinfo for replies is sporadic at best!

Yes the Z-Finder is not cheap and therefore not for everyone.

Mike Williams August 29th, 2009 10:38 AM

Run and Gun

I have been in need of something like this. $400 will be hard to cough up since I want to buy a pocket dolly and a few other goodies.

For 90% of my shooting this will be a huge help. Doesn't matter what you are shooting, when the LCD isn't at an ideal angle you will have a hard time doing anything other than hoping you have the shot...............unless you have the luxury of a monitor.

I think I am a buyer since this is such a crucial tool for this cam. I have found my self changing my style to accommodate more straight on shots anyway :)

Ray Bell August 29th, 2009 02:10 PM

For those looking to get the Z-finder, Zacuto has a new video out showing the product...
It has changed a little, they now have another way to hold the finder to the camera...
they are calling them Z-bands... a nice touch, well thought out. This is a very good
video that demonstrates all of the attributes of the Z-finder for those thinking of getting
one.

Here is the site for the video...

DSLR Viewfinder, DSLR EyePiece, DSLR Focusing | Zacuto

Steve Cahill August 29th, 2009 04:41 PM

I did not get any Z-bands with ver 2.

Dan Brockett August 29th, 2009 06:20 PM

Knowing Zacuto, you will have to probably buy those extra as they are an option.

Dan

Ray Bell August 29th, 2009 08:47 PM

Steve, I think they are still in prototype mode for the Z-bands...

I'm sure they will be releasing them soon though.

Steve Weiss August 31st, 2009 08:16 AM

Z-Bands

Just to clarify, the Z-bands are not a way to hold the Z-finder to the camera. The are just for protection in case someone bumps the Z-Finder to prevent it from falling to the ground, much like the Lanyard does. They will be available in the next few days and our an option, we haven't determined a price but it's going to be cheap. The Lanyard and Lanyard hook were included as a bonus for the pre-order customers, plus it's going to be included all through September.

Now I will address why the Z-Finder is the price it is. First, the Schnieder optics are very expensive. This optic design is two lenses that are married and is almost 3/4" thick. The build of Z-Finder is extremely robust without being too heavy. The developmental cost, prototyping and molding are very expensive and not spread over that many units mainly because we are not a volume business. Our products are made in the USA and not mass produced. We check every unit many times so it ships working and in perfect condition. This is just the type of company we choose to be and we know it's not for everyone. Plus we have the only lifetime warranty on an Optical device that I've ever seen. The lens tube is aluminum and when you rotate the red focusing knob it is extremly precise, like a high quality lens. Talk to people who have received it and ask them about the quality and how it works.

One last thing, we will make seperate mounting frames for any new & future cameras. The Z-finder is designed to work with various screen sizes and we will make different mounting frames for new cameras. The mounting frames are cheap under $10. This week we are going to release the mounting frame for the GH1.

I hope I've explained why the price is what it is, if you have further questions feel free to email me at steve@zacuto.com

Steve Weiss, Zacuto USA

Tom Daigon August 31st, 2009 08:43 AM

Steve, I just spoke to Jim on the phone and he said I didn't see the option for the Z bands
(when I placed my order last night) because it was determined that the new adhesion design
made them unnecessary. So I am getting 2 different stories from 2 different sources and therefore are a bit confused...

Stephen Mick August 31st, 2009 09:43 AM

Zacuto Quality

I've looked at Zacuto products for quite some time, but only last week bought my first piece of Z-kit: the Tactical DSLR Shooter. All I can say is that the images and videos don't do this product justice, and anyone who thinks Zacuto gear is overpriced needs to hold and use one. The detail, the fit and the finish are all top of class in video support hardware.

Best of all, Steve, Mandy, Jens and the rest of the Zacuto crew are members of our community, always responsive to suggestions and ideas, and always ready to help owners get the most out of their gear.

Personally, I can't wait to use the new Z-Finder on my GH1.

Bruce G. Cleveland September 3rd, 2009 03:39 PM

I just got my ZFinder yesterday, let the glue cure for a day and played with it today. What a great piece of equipment. My first Zacuto purchase and I want more products. Expensive yes, but you get what you pay for and I am willing to pay more for something that is going to last.

Jerry

Dave Contreras September 3rd, 2009 03:43 PM

I just got mine yesterday and it looks very nice. The optics are clean and sharp and it feels comfortable on my face. I'm looking forward to playing with it a bit more tonight.

I hope it works well with the 7D as I plan on purchasing that cam as well.

Tom Daigon September 3rd, 2009 04:00 PM

Very Impressed "I can See!"

I just got mine out of the "glue mode" and I am also very impressed with its solid design
and the increased functionality it brings to the 5D. The adhesive mount is solid as a rock.
It is a fine compliment to my UBC from iDC Photography. Very professional and utilitarian.

Dan Brockett September 3rd, 2009 04:54 PM

Steve:

Is it possible to affix a chamois to the Z-Finder V2 eyepiece? Just curious. Rubber is great but when you are in hot, humid environments, I prefer the chamois.

Dan

Steve Cahill September 4th, 2009 04:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just be careful when using a lanyard.. It gives the false impression that the camera is around your neck, next think you know the 5D is air born. I would suggest a lanyard that goes through a wrist strap that is attached to the camera

Yes a replacement for that rubber would be welcome with a fabric covering, another accessory for the Zfinder.

I am using the quick release from Really Right Stuff to mount the camera to the Zacuto baseplate. @ Really Right Stuff ... Quick-Release Clamps with this system no need to use the riser. You will need the camera plate as well @ Really Right Stuff - B5D2: Plate for 5D MkII without BG-E6

Ray Bell September 4th, 2009 05:44 AM

Steve... whats the spacer you have mounted between the camera and the Z frame used
for???

Steve Cahill September 4th, 2009 03:13 PM

Made spacer for my farsightedness to get in focus.

Sean Seah September 5th, 2009 04:23 AM

Got mind and I must say it shines when compared to the hoodman.

David W. Taylor September 5th, 2009 12:23 PM

Steve you said << Made spacer for my farsightedness to get in focus>>

I wear glasses and, whilst I'm pleased that the rubber eye cup on the Z-Finder is big enough to let me wear them whilst shooting, I was surprised that I need to wind the focus adjust all the way out in order to get it sharp.
Seems like Steve Weiss of Zacuto needs to allow a little bit more adjustment I think.

David

Steve Cahill September 5th, 2009 03:51 PM

I use the the Zfinder without my reading/computer glasses, the spacer allows me to do so.

Ray Bell September 5th, 2009 07:55 PM

Thanks Steve... I'm thinking I may need to make me one of those too...

Steve Cahill September 6th, 2009 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They are suppose to come out with thicker spacer, based on my feedback. The spacer I made is 6mm thick with the addition of double stick foam tape that is apox 1 1/2 mm thick, making a total thickness of 7.5mm. I still have the focus ring all the way out. I think you would be best to go to a total thickness of 12.7mm or 1/2 inch.

It is a thick mount attached to the camera, I would like to see a 3rd generation of Zacutto Z finder with a longer viewer, or even interchangeable optical elements without the thicker plate attached to the camera.

The spacer does protect the LCD from the potential of scratches, since it is now in it's own well. I just ordered a new LCD protector from Canon and the double stick tape that affixes it to the camera. Removal of the LCD protector may be the most challenging.
I am sure when I remove the spacer I made that it will pull off the Canon LCD. I do have a small scratch on it now and I will document a "HOW TO" at some point in time.