Remote start/stop + ext. monitoring for 5D on jib at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote start/stop + ext. monitoring for 5D on jib

Has anyone tried/tested a workable solution for use of a 5D on a long jib (18 feet and above)? For example, Canon's wireless remote system + laptop? Need remote start/stop + monitoring. Any thoughts from experience, tips, including any techniques to minimize rolling shutter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Can't recommend a wireless remote -- wired is the way to go since you'll have to run cable for a remote monitor anyway. Canon has a couple of wired remotes that are compatible with the 5D Mk. II, but I'm not sure which ones offer more than just a shutter release (obviously you'll need one that can activate the Set button to initiate video recording). Here are the Canon model numbers:

Remote Switch RS-80N3
Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3

There's also a 33-ft. extension: Extension Cord ET-1000N3

We have lots of threads already going on the subject of remote monitoring via HDMI and standard definition video output.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Hmm, not sure about the RS-80N3... looks like it might be just a remote shutter release. Not what you need.

The TC-80N3 seems to hold more promise regarding the use of the Set button; I've included the manual here as a .PDF attachment for download.

I have the little wireless RC-1 and it will work for this application but I still think wired is a better way do it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TC80N3.pdf (1.53 MB, 794 views)

Old August 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Then there's wired remote control and monitoring via software on a laptop-- this might be the best solution:

DSLR Remote Pro - Remote Capture Software for Canon EOS

Think I'll have to download the trial version and see how it goes... comparing
it to the free EOS Utility remote shooting app that came with the camera.

Old February 15th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Remote compatable with the Set Button.

I have read this forum with interest including the PDF for the TC-80N3. Can anyone confirm the remotes that are available to work with the 'Set' button.

It's nto referred to in the PDF. I have read the RC1 works with the set button on the canon site.

With regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sorry won't work

I own both these releases and neither is designed to do anything but operate the shutter button. This again is possibly another one of the benefits of the 7D. The 7D does allow you to reassign button controls. I wonder it it would allow you to swap the start/stop button with the shutter.
Thomas Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

hi all-

the RC-1 works as an IR remote start/stop for the video mode - it's even documented in the 5dM2 user manual.

I wonder if it's feasible to mount the RC-1 or the Arduino up at the camera, but crack the case (for the RC-1) & wire in a remote 'button'?

I wonder if the good folks over at Pocketwizard could make their MultiMax remotes trigger the video mode?

----

and FWIW - I've used the RC-1 with a camera mounted high up on a ladder, with an HDMI monitor slung lower so I (& the director) could see the shot. The problem is that the process of hitting record takes even longer- IE normally it takes about 5 seconds to make the switch from HD composition view to SD shooting view. The IR adds more time to that, and you have no confirmation that you 'hit' the sensor - so you have to aim, click and wait. And if it doesn't work, try it again. and again. which is a bit nerve wracking when you have talent and a director waiting on camera.

cheers

-andy

ml
Andy Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Then there's wired remote control and monitoring via software on a laptop-- this might be the best solution:

DSLR Remote Pro - Remote Capture Software for Canon EOS
I think that the iPhone app DSLR Remote might have some promise - it's not there yet for video, but for still shooting it's pretty sweet.
DSLR Camera Remote - onOne Software

Supposedly using it to control the video mode is one of the most requested features.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Major Player

The EOS utility disc that came with the camera works pretty well - run a USB cable and you can remote start/stop, have a reasonable viewfinder and you can adjust shutter/fstop and focus from the laptop. You also have the option to record in the camera or the computer.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses.

Hello All,

Thanks for the responses. I was keen on the CR1 until I read about the lag and hit and miss. I'll wait for a wired solution I think as I like to record from a tripod with a remote to eliminate camera shake.

With regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I'll second the recommendation to use the EOS utility & a laptop. I have used this with a USB extender cable with the camera on top of a 7m (22') pole.

I see little point to the iPhone application even aside from the fact that it doesn't work with video. The camera still needs to be to be tethered via USB to a computer unless you are using the rather expensive Canon WiFi unit.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #12
Major Player

On a jib there are two laptop solutions, both require Eos utility: either a long active USB repeater cable like this one SIIG USB 2.0 Active Repeater Cable USB extender - External

or using a wft-e4II wireless pack on the camera and connecting via wifi or ethernet Canon | WFT-E4 IIA Wireless File Transmitter (WFT) | 4263B001

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Regular Crew

you can also find a bunch of USB extenders at Gefen

Gefen Inc. - Product List - Choose Product Type...

Quote:
USB 2.0 Extender
Extends USB 2.0 peripherals up to 330-feet over CAT-5 cable
USB•400FO
Extends USB 2.0 up to 1640 ft via one Fiber Optics (4 Port Hub)
USB•500
Extends USB up to 1,650 ft via one Fiber Optic (4 Port Hub)
Wireless USB 2.0 Extender (4-Port)
Extends USB 2.0 up 100 feet wirelessly
The point of the DSLR Camera Remote iphone app is that I am no longer tethered to the computer. I can walk on set, away from both the camera and computer and shoot.
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #14
Major Player

Andy,

Yes Gefen make great stuff, they also do HDMI extenders using Cat 5 for monitoring as well.

As for the DSLR remote app I didn't think it could trigger video yet? or are you just talking about stills?

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Batt View Post
The point of the DSLR Camera Remote iphone app is that I am no longer tethered to the computer. I can walk on set, away from both the camera and computer and shoot.
Ah, I see. I was concerned that the camera was still tethered. It hadn't occurred to me about the operator still being tethered:-)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD