DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/401436-zacuto-z-finder-v2-review.html)

Greg Milneck September 15th, 2009 01:39 PM

Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Review

Zacuto Z-Finder V2 ::

Bill Pryor September 18th, 2009 10:26 AM

Hey, Greg--a question about the loupe...does it stay attached OK? Like, if you put the camera in a bag with the loupe attached, do you knock it off easily or does it stay put OK? On the Zacuto site in their video they show the little rubber bands to hold it on in case it gets bumped. I'm wondering how sensitive that really is.

Tom Daigon September 18th, 2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1368831)
Hey, Greg--a question about the loupe...does it stay attached OK? Like, if you put the camera in a bag with the loupe attached, do you knock it off easily or does it stay put OK? On the Zacuto site in their video they show the little rubber bands to hold it on in case it gets bumped. I'm wondering how sensitive that really is.

Not Bill, but my experience is the Z finder has a good solid connection. Depending on your bag, it might be wise just to pop it off. Either that or get the z bands for added support.

David W. Taylor September 18th, 2009 01:48 PM

I pretty much agree with Greg's review. It is a great inprovement on my previous Hoodloupe/i-Cuff viewer combination but it actually takes a day to get use to the 3x magnification. That, as Greg points out, is because it now shows up the 5D2's LCD as being pretty poor resolution.
Still you can focus accurately with the Z-finder which is the justification for paying the price in the end.
Interestingly this is the first I'd heard of a 'higher' camera mounting block now being included. I have a 'pre-ordered' Z-finder which came with only the original block and being a glasses wearer I have my focus adjust screwed right out.
I didn't get on with the Zacuto lanyard however and have a simpler, more easily unpluggable one..hated the advertising all over the lanyard as well. But then even the Canon logos on my camera are blacked out!

Greg Milneck September 18th, 2009 01:57 PM

Mine did include both the smaller and larger frame...but no mention at all in the instructions as to why there were 2 or which one to use. I may switch to the shorter one in a week or two and see if it works with my glasses as the taller one is almost in the way.

The connection is very firm and have not had an issue with it coming off, although I wouldn't recommend casing it attached. I remove mine in my case as it takes seconds to put on. The rubber bands look like a pos imo...I would skip them.

FYI- my case wouldnt allow it to remain attached anyways as I dont have room (I am using a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 50)...so honestly I have never tried leaving it on in the case.

Ryan Quan September 18th, 2009 07:40 PM

Greg, how bad is your vision? I'm nearsighted with a -1.5 prescription. I'm interested in picking up the Z-Finder, but am hesitant because of the larger frame possibly being an annoyance to me when using the viewfinder for shooting stills. I'm trying to anticipate if the stock frame will work with my vision.

Greg Milneck September 18th, 2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Quan (Post 1370528)
Greg, how bad is your vision? I'm nearsighted with a -1.5 prescription. I'm interested in picking up the Z-Finder, but am hesitant because of the larger frame possibly being an annoyance to me when using the viewfinder for shooting stills. I'm trying to anticipate if the stock frame will work with my vision.

I think I am +2 plus I have an astigmatism...it sucks getting old. My vision was 20/20 until I hit 40...then steadily down hill.

Bill Pryor September 19th, 2009 10:08 AM

I hear ya--Perfect vision, never wore glasses until I turned 40. Far sighted, which means my lenses cost as much as some camera lenses.

Ron Coker September 19th, 2009 06:42 PM

Zacuto Finder V2 Review.

I have problem eyesight.... Contact lenses, left eye reading, right eye, distance, + booster half frame reading glasses, when all else fails. I'm really pleased with my Zacuto Finder, the magnification allows for easy tracking focus... Really good value.

As a point of interest, I removed the lanyard strap and Z bands. Replaced by a compact and practical DIY safety device. A loop of cord threaded through the lanyard eye bracket, about 3 in long. Two rubber bands, side by side (for extra strength & security) were daisy chained to the cord. The rubber band is stretched around the top of camera body , east west, to provide a safety link, in the unlikely event of accidently bumping the Z Finder from it's mounting frame...Works well for me.

Dan Chung September 19th, 2009 11:34 PM

Ron,

I've been looking for a solution like that, can you post a picture please?

Dan

Ron Coker September 20th, 2009 08:37 PM

Safety Strap

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1375211)
Ron,

I've been looking for a solution like that, can you post a picture please?

Dan

Dan,

This should do the job!

Ron.

Greg Milneck September 20th, 2009 09:41 PM

I once knew a man, his name was Jed...

Sean Seah September 20th, 2009 11:47 PM

My pre ordered ver did not come with the extra camera mounting block too. I too fine that the resolution of the LCD is not that good. I'm gonna try it on the 7D today and have a look.

Dan Brockett September 21st, 2009 09:18 AM

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed...

Chris Barcellos September 21st, 2009 12:03 PM

Zacutto viewfinder, $ 450,

Twine and rubber band, priceless.....

Now that is my kind of mod....