DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Observation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/454219-zacuto-z-finder-v2-observation.html)

Inna Lantsman September 29th, 2009 03:31 PM

Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Observation

Hello Everyone!!!

I am interested to find out if anyone else has the same experience as I do with Zacuto Z-Finder V2. I have noticed that when I used Z-Finder V2 for a period of 20 seconds or more, the glass is perspiring and it becomes difficult to focus. Then I would take my eye off the Z-Finder for a moment and the condensation will disappear pretty fast, however it does affect the shot.

Has anyone had this happen and if you did what is the solution?

Thank you.

Bruce G. Cleveland September 29th, 2009 05:07 PM

I shot with my Mark II all day on last Saturday and had the same problem. I don't think there really is a fix. Zacuto does make de-fogger wipes, but not sure how helpful they are. some people have reported the problem even after wiping.

Jerry

Brian Drysdale September 29th, 2009 05:19 PM

You could try using an Eyepiece Chamois.

Eyepiece Chamois Cushions by Bluestar - Chamois Leather, Fleece, Microfibre

Some film cameras have an eyepiece heater fitted which really solves the problem.

Joseph Stunzi September 29th, 2009 10:15 PM

I have the defogger wipes and they work great for me. Chamois is the obvious professional solution and it'll probably make your eye a lot more comfortable.

Stephen Mick September 29th, 2009 10:38 PM

Chamois

Any idea of which size Chamois would fit the Z-Finder V2?

Charles Papert September 30th, 2009 06:21 AM

Chamois are great for comfort but I'm not sure they will solve the fogging issue.

There is a great low-tech version of the heated eyepiece which involves running a tube from the your mouth to the inside of the eyepiece (yup, you'd have to cut a hole) and breathing into it during the shot. Sounds weird but it works.

Chad Dyle October 3rd, 2009 11:19 AM

The defogger wipes worked for me even in this New Orleans humidity.

Don Miller October 6th, 2009 08:49 AM

Charles is once again confusing a piece of video gear with a bong.

Kids, a good lesson of what happens after a few years working in LA.

:)

Dan Brockett October 6th, 2009 09:07 AM

Don,

You have me rolling on the floor this morning. Too funny.

D

Steve Weiss October 8th, 2009 10:46 AM

fogging

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1428533)
Don,

You have me rolling on the floor this morning. Too funny.

D

Yes, the wipes are amazing. I've stuck the lens in the freezer for 5 minute and then taken it outside in the summer and no fogging. The reason it fogs is the lens is almost 3/4" thick and its glass not acrylic and your body heat is hotter than the glass. I had the option to put a defogging coating on the lens but you can't have a defogging and an anti-reflecting coating on at the same time. So I opted for the anti-reflecting because I figured you can use the wipes for fogging. Wipes are cheap and work great.
Steve

Inna Lantsman October 9th, 2009 06:42 AM

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions.

Brian Drysdale October 10th, 2009 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1417427)
Chamois are great for comfort but I'm not sure they will solve the fogging issue.

Yes, they only made a small difference on my Aaton V/F - the misting was just delayed a bit, presumingly preventing some of the sweat (sorry glow). There was an anti misting optic/glass brought out for film cameras, it could've used a process similar to this:

Optical Coating Technologies - Anti-Fog & Non-Mist Coatings

It might be worth following up, they may do one off's or small batches.

Inna Lantsman October 14th, 2009 07:42 AM

Steve is absolutely correct, these wipes are working well.
I hope Steve does not mind if I would say that it would have been nice to have these wipes included in the sale of Z-Finder V2.

Thank you.