DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   why not 60p on the 5dM2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/466075-why-not-60p-5dm2.html)

Andy Batt October 19th, 2009 03:19 PM

why not 60p on the 5dM2?

So I understand that 24p might not be acceptable on the 5dm2, due to the slower scan rate causing 'jello-ation' - but why not enable 60p? Is the camera buffer simply unable to deal with 2x the data rate?

thanks

andy

Steve Phillipps October 19th, 2009 03:23 PM

Most video cameras that do 60P do it at 720 rather than 1080 resolution, so that the data rate is about the same. 1080/60P would definitely be too much to ask.
As for 720/60P, this would involve a conversion in camera to take the 1080 to 720, so presumably this would also be too much to ask to make it work well.
Plus of course, I think the 5D was only ever meant to do video for quick home video-type stuff, don't think they ever enivisaged it being used seriously.
Steve

Daniel Browning October 19th, 2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Batt (Post 1434775)
...why not enable 60p? Is the camera buffer simply unable to deal with 2x the data rate?

My guess is that the sensor itself cannot read out at that rate. Also keep in mind that the 7D has twice as many digic processors as the 5D2.

Steve Maller October 20th, 2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1434777)
As for 720/60P, this would involve a conversion in camera to take the 1080 to 720, so presumably this would also be too much to ask to make it work well.

Technically not as big as deal as you think because the conversion to 1080P is being made from a 5616 x 3744 sensor (nearly a "4K" source), and if you were to do 720P instead, it'd just be a different conversion ratio.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1434777)
Plus of course, I think the 5D was only ever meant to do video for quick home video-type stuff, don't think they ever enivisaged it being used seriously.

Totally agree. We should be grateful to be on the vanguard, but not shy about providing Canon with feedback. Look at the specs for the 1D Mark IV and you'll see Canon are listening.

Lee Bryant October 20th, 2009 01:55 PM

Probably because not enough people complained. ;)

Jon Fairhurst October 20th, 2009 04:02 PM

Andy,

I wouldn't assume that 24p will have worse skew than 30p. The 5D2 reads the sensor in about 25ms in 30p. As long as they read the sensor just as fast in 24p (and then wait a bit before starting the next scan), the rolling shutter effect should be identical.

That said, the slower the frame rate, the more time is available for scanning the sensor. 24p cameras can have worse skew than 30p cameras, but 24p doesn't prevent a fast scan either.

Marko Urbic October 23rd, 2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Bryant (Post 1435365)
Probably because not enough people complained. ;)

First off all - a big THANK YOU to Canon for the 24/25p update (was hoping for it, but kinda lost faith that it would ever hapen)

Now I know it is not fair to start asking for somethine else, but maybe they just weren't aware that 720 50/60p is also a very needed thing.
If there is a hardware limition they just need to tell us so, but if there is not then it should be a shame that they haven't put it on the 5D only because they didn't feel it was needed.

Inna Lantsman October 23rd, 2009 05:11 PM

The cool thing about Canon as a company is that they are listening very carefully to their customers. I have noticed it since the date 5Dm2 came out. That is a very good thing. HD video has a variety of flavors and with respect to 5Dm2, it is becoming the main video camera for some videographers/cinematographers. The fact that you can also take great pictures is just a nice bonus. They have created an absolute revolution in 35mm, full frame DSLR with the ability to shoot very high quality video. I believe that firmware was upgraded twice and these upgrades were so welcomed by the community. I know a lot of people are so grateful for the firmware upgrades, but is it too much to ask for a complete HD package with all the flavors or not too much, well time will show.