DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Zacuto + other magnifying type viewers and LCD burn (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/468454-zacuto-other-magnifying-type-viewers-lcd-burn.html)

Robert Garvey November 27th, 2009 01:01 AM

Zacuto + other magnifying type viewers and LCD burn

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Not sure if this has come up previously, I could not find it using the site search function.

A word of warning to all users of magnifying type viewers.

I took my new Zacuto and 5d Mk11 for a field test to a cycling event the other day, bright sunshine.

I had also attached a pistol grip that fitted to the left hand. Holding the grip at rest with the left hand, the lens pointed to the ground. That meant that the Zacuto pointed at the sky and at times the SUN !!

You can see from the attached pic what this has done to my LCD ... burnt it, leaving milky white spots and streaks. It is obvious to me now, but I think that these devices should come with a simple warning.

Does anyone know if this is reversible, other then a new LCD?

Cheers,
Robert

Peter Damo November 27th, 2009 01:12 AM

Boy that's pretty sensitive considering you would be moving your arm around a fair bit.

Steve Cahill November 27th, 2009 10:47 AM

You need a new LCD. Happened to my Sony EX1 with a different magnifier two times. Out in the sun with any magnifier on a LCD it only takes less than a second for this to happen, like frying ants with a magnifier, only this is going to cost you!

See My EX1 LCD blog post, same appearance as your LCD.

How to Replace Your EX1?s LCD

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2009 11:55 AM

Reminds me of this: EVF Sunburn & Scorched EVF Return Procedure by Don Palomaki and The Watchdog

Bill Binder November 27th, 2009 12:26 PM

Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear about your troubles.

This probably isn't going to help you, but the 5D2 actually has a protective screen in front of the actual LCD. Many people don't realize this, but it might be that you only fried the protective screen. Somehow I kind of doubt it, but if true, replacing the protective screen is simple and cheap, so here's to hoping that's all that happened...

John Hyland November 30th, 2009 10:42 AM

LCD Burn

I just noticed this on my 5D MK II LCD. I'm not sure when it occured but I also use the Z-finder. I have one white spot at the bottom of the LCD screen.

Paul Joy December 1st, 2009 09:16 AM

That's really scary, I had a Z-Finder on order but have now cancelled it due to this problem. I'd never be able to relax knowing that can happen in a few seconds.

Steve Weiss December 3rd, 2009 12:44 PM

Viewfinders

I'm really sorry to hear about any damage to cameras due to the sun and Z-Finder. This has been a problem throughout the years. With film cameras we used to put a sock or lens bag over the viewfinder when not shooting to prevent any film fogging. In the tube camera video days you couldn't leave the camera pointing at a bright object or it would burn the hot spot onto the tubes, same with early monitors. The EX3 too has a magnifier and their have been cases of LCD burning. The problem is that eyepieces have magnifiers in them. Remember when we were kids and we used magnifiers to burn bugs. In general it's a good idea to have a lens bag or sock to cover the Z-Finder and LCD.

Of course if your Z-Finder melted or has any damage whatsoever (no matter who is at fault) your Zacuto lifetime warranty will cover the cost of repair or replacement of the Z-Finder. Contact sales@zacuto.com and we will immediately take care of that.

Best,
Steve

Thomas Barclay December 3rd, 2009 03:40 PM

Filter

Hey Steve,
I maybe thinking too fast without doing any research. I'm wondering if there would be away to use an attachable filter on the eye piece to break up the intensity of light. Obviously opaque, like a Expo disc, would be pointless but I keep thinking about ND filters used to reduce light into a camera lens. It might limit super sharp focus but still better than not using one at all. Users could attach it when needed for overly bright situations and remove it when it is not needed. Either way, I'm still getting a Z-finder. My just shipped from B&H.

Steve Weiss December 3rd, 2009 09:17 PM

care

Thomas, I think people need to realize that this can happen with many cameras with LCD screens. We just need to be aware of it and when your eye is not in the Z-Finder in outdoor situations put a vinyl lens bag or duvotine fabric to cover the Z-finder when your eye is not in it. You can also take the Z-Finder off, it pops on and off super easy. I have also heard of people who have burnt their LCD screens by pointing the camera lens at the sun. Be careful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Barclay (Post 1455728)
Hey Steve,
I maybe thinking too fast without doing any research. I'm wondering if there would be away to use an attachable filter on the eye piece to break up the intensity of light. Obviously opaque, like a Expo disc, would be pointless but I keep thinking about ND filters used to reduce light into a camera lens. It might limit super sharp focus but still better than not using one at all. Users could attach it when needed for overly bright situations and remove it when it is not needed. Either way, I'm still getting a Z-finder. My just shipped from B&H.