Video on DSLRs is still a gimmick? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Video on DSLRs is still a gimmick?

This is a comment a friend of mine keeps making to me about video on DSLR cameras...

"Video on DSLRs is still a gimmick."

I'd love to blast him with some great feedback from the community that actually knows the truth...would some of you please leave some feed back here on what you would say to him in response to his obvious uneducated comment...

I will be sure to provide him with the knowledge you all have to share!
I know its not a gimmick, but I'm not using it yet with my 5DMKII, but I will in time.
I just know that from all my research, its not a gimmick...and need the proof to show him.

Thanks.
Christopher McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher McCord View Post
This is a comment a friend of mine keeps making to me about video on DSLR cameras...

I'd love to blast him with some great feedback from the community that actually knows the truth...would some of you please leave some feed back here on what you would say to him in response to his obvious uneducated comment...

I will be sure to provide him with the knowledge you all have to share!
I know its not a gimmick, but I'm not using it yet with my 5DMKII, but I will in time.
I just know that from all my research, its not a gimmick...and need the proof to show him.

Thanks.

The tale of Lucasfilm, Skywalker Ranch, Star Wars and Canon DSLRs on a 40 foot screen! | Philip Bloom

If your friend cannot understand the gravity of the cameras being used on Fox's House, "24", and being tested for an upcoming film with George Lucas, then he's hopeless.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, sent this his way, haven't heard a reply from him yet. I'm sure there will be one.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Trustee

When I shot news, there were people who would come up and ask what you were shooting, and no matter what you said, they'd reply, "WHAT, SLOW NEWS DAY??? hur-hur-hur!" It didn't matter if you had a water-skiing squirrel, or you were waiting for the arraignment of a mass murderer, they just liked to toss a soft-sided insult at you.

IMHO, just about anybody using the phrase "video on a still camera is just a gimmick" is the same type of person. There really isn't much of an answer to it... if you think it's not news, or if you think it's a gimmick, nothing we can do for you. However, in both cases, if you don't like the product, don't buy it.

I'd respond with silence.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Too late, I already posted the links provided above...and here was his response...

"Yes, they are a nice gimmick to be used every now and then. 99% buy a DSLR because they need a camera. Let me know when Canon changes their product link. They still list these in the camera section."
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Trustee

it might be a gimmick, but a good one since it procure me a really decent income since september 09, the date I bought a 7D.
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
I'd respond with silence.
I second that motion...

His reply to some compelling evidence shows he is a brick wall not worth banging your head on.
Laurence Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Janus View Post
I second that motion...

His reply to some compelling evidence shows he is a brick wall not worth banging your head on.
I think he's just trying to push buttons, so no matter what I respond with, he's going to come back with something, I think he's trying to be annoying and get me rowled up.
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
I think he's just trying to push buttons, so no matter what I respond with, he's going to come back with something, I think he's trying to be annoying and get me rowled up.
Those are the people I ask what they are shooting with... then just laugh and walk away. Life is too short to deal with morons... Keep it movin'.
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Those are the people I ask what they are shooting with... then just laugh and walk away. Life is too short to deal with morons... Keep it movin'.
He owns a Nikon D5000 right now, but wants to upgrade to a Canon 5D Mark III when one eventually comes out. He's also the type that likes to buy cheap the first time then realize he made a mistake and buy better the next time, buying twice to get to one point, when he should have just bought right the first time. He now realizes why I bought Full Frame in my 5D Mark II and is trying to cover for his mistake by pushing buttons.

In the meantime I'm educating him on all the stuff he's missing out on, while he pretends he doesn't care, but I know he really does.
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:

Thanks.
Sure wish I was as smart and as informed as your friend. ; )
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Trustee

Yes, video on DSLRs is still regarded as a gimmick to many...However, some seemingly trivial gimmicks of the past have evolved into useful tools.

This is a gimmick that is capable of producing outstanding results in the right hands. A gimmick so impelling that any stills photographer using them would be mad not to now seriously use the video option in a more useful capacity than merely for occasional 'fun'.

In fact, the gimmick has become so compelling for me that I will be making another movie in France & Italy during the next few months, but the big difference this time is that I'm going to be leaving my camcorders behind and taking only DSLRs. Yes, I must be mad and a little apprehensive because my livelihood is on the line...but I'm also quite excited! :)
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Too late, I already posted the links provided above...and here was his response...

"Yes, they are a nice gimmick to be used every now and then. 99% buy a DSLR because they need a camera. Let me know when Canon changes their product link. They still list these in the camera section."
Hehe. I think you walked into a trap.

Smug silence is the only appropriate response, IMO.

In the meantime enjoy the great footage you are creating for yourself . . .
Rick Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I did, and he's been watching this thread too, so he's seen all the responses.
I'm waiting on him to show me some Canon 5D Mark III footage...but I guess I'll have to wait a while for that...in the meantime I can't even get any Nikon D5000 footage out of him...not sure what his plans are with owning both a Nikon and Canon?
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
He owns a Nikon D5000 right now, but wants to upgrade to a Canon 5D Mark III when one eventually comes out.
He'll be waiting a while. Remember how long it was before the 5D MkI and MkII.

I saw a lot of people like that when I sold cameras for a living. They'd come in and kick the tires every week, never buying because something greater was always around the corner.

Those are the people who care more about insignificant details like megapixels than taking photos or shooting video.

He'll buy a MkIII in the future. In the meantime, you're going to have a fun couple of years playing and working with a camera that takes beautiful video. I'd say that you win in that situation.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD