DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   How far must a Mic be from the 24-105mm IS? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/486789-how-far-must-mic-24-105mm.html)

Mike Hannon October 29th, 2010 10:31 AM

How far must a Mic be from the 24-105mm IS?

I'm going to be embarking on a fairly lengthy and involved documentary project that will require run and gun style shooting. For that reason, I'm considering buying the 24-105 IS because I like the range and, although I'll be shooting on a shoulder rig, I think I will also need IS.

My question is, how far from the camera must a shotgun mic (let's say the Rode SVM) be mounted so that it won't pick up the noise of the image stabilisation mechanism. Is a hot shoe mounted mic far enough away, or does it need to be extended even further away from the camera, using a shock mount or something similar?

A lot of the time I will be in a relatively noisy environment. However, it's also quite likely that I will be doing some shooting in an empty room.

Many thanks in advance.

Harry Simpson October 29th, 2010 12:23 PM

This i can attest to! you'll be fine in the noiser environments but the mic on the hotshoe will pick up some noise in that quiet room. As far as how far it does need to actually be I don't know - but getting the mic OFF the camera is almost a requirement. Though that lens's IS is probably the quietest I've experienced. My 70-200 IS sounds like a lawn mower!!

Dan Brockett November 1st, 2010 04:02 PM

I have not shot a lot of audio footage with the 24-105 IS but I have shot a concert with my 70-300 F4.5-56 IS and I had a Zoom H4N about six feet away from the lens and it still recorded a TON of the IS.

IMHO, you cannot use IS while shooting audio unless the talent and mics are far, far from the camera. After editing that concert, I never use the IS now when shooting video with sound. I just turn it off.

Dan

Chris Hurd November 1st, 2010 04:19 PM

Turn off OIS, and shoot from a tripod or at least some type of camera support. That is your best solution.

OIS on that lens is for shooting stills hand-held, which is not something you'll want to do with video.

David W. Taylor November 2nd, 2010 08:09 AM

No easy answers in getting good sound coverage on documentaries but as a sound mixer who also shoots video and owns a 70-200 IS...please do get the mic off the camera.
Firstly because a Rode Stereo Video Mic is only going to give good audio on 'GV's' ie wideshots for cut ways etc. and then not on the hotshoe whilst the IS is working.
It's 'a stereo mic' that implies a wide sound coverage and secondly, you need to get the mic closer than the camera anyway.
So remove the SVM unless you want 'a stereo atmos track'. Get a directional (mono) shotgun mic on a 'fishpole' if you can get another person to operate that or personal radio mics when covering interviews.
I wouldn't stop using the Canon lenses IS though...it's proven to improve the stability in almost all situations...even when tripod mounted despite what you read elsewhere.
Dave T