DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Shutter speed not coming down below 30 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/489689-shutter-speed-not-coming-down-below-30-a.html)

Ramji Meena January 3rd, 2011 11:12 PM

Shutter speed not coming down below 30

I have completed one documentary covering the low lighted caves on 5D and mostely using 85mm f 1.2 L canon lense. I kept the ISO below 1600 and shutter speed around 10 and aputure wide open 1.2 .Got the perfect video.Absolutely clean. But in the last day shoot something happened I dont know.The shutter speed was not comming down to 30 .Searched the manual but no solution. I had to shoot with high ISO like 2000 or more . The picture is grainy. can,t use it .Please help me

Ramji Meena January 4th, 2011 12:40 AM

Actually during this last shoot I used the canon 70-200 2.8 L USM. I guess the problem started with that.

Erik Andersen January 4th, 2011 01:48 AM

So you're saying that you were shooting video on the 5D2 with a shutter speed of 1/10 of a second? This shouldn't be possible. 1/30 is the slowest shutter speed possible in Live View. Are you sure it wasn't stills that you shot at 1/10?

Ramji Meena January 4th, 2011 01:52 AM

I am sure.It was possible.

Kris Koster January 4th, 2011 02:44 AM

Ramji,

If you can get your 5D mark II to shoot in Live View for less than 1/30 shutter under any conditions, can you please tell us how you did it because I would love to know this secret for myself!! (Would be helpful if you could reproduce it again and tell us the steps)

Also, for grainy footage, I recommend Neat video, is the best plugin out there for video noise (in my view anyway). If you also play around with the levels in any good editing suite, you should be able to improve it by crushing the blacks, playing with the gamma, etc.

Michael Padilla January 7th, 2011 01:14 AM

If you shoot in Auto it will lower the shutter below 30 (so it says), however it won't appear like you would expect a slower shutter to shoot.. no blurry goodness.. oh well. You might be able to get a bit more low light?? I dont' shoot in auto anyway but I do recall noticing that.

Bill Binder January 7th, 2011 12:03 PM

When it shows less than 1/30, it's not actually less than 1/30, it's something more like 1/30 with gain/iso cranked up. It's not possible to shoot with a shutter less than the framerate unless you're duplicating frames, and as far as I know, the canon's don't have that capability. You were likely in auto mode, or thought you were in manual, but weren't in video mode (you might have been in exposure simulation mode), so despite having the camera on M, it was actually shooting in auto. Either way, you were never actually doing it before when you thought you were, it was 'faked' slower speeds using gain that brought up the exposure but didn't actually slow down the shutter.

Olof Ekbergh January 11th, 2011 07:25 AM

There are some video cameras (like the EXcams) that can shoot 30p (or any other video frame rate) footage in "frame accumulation" mode, as far as I know the 5D does not have this feature.

This makes video with blurred moving objects, but can be very nice shot at night, where there is not much light. And is often preferable to increasing gain (iso).