DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon D5, Mpeg Streamclip, Interlaced Scaling--HELP!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/497987-canon-d5-mpeg-streamclip-interlaced-scaling-help.html)

Sean Bauer July 2nd, 2011 07:26 PM

Canon D5, Mpeg Streamclip, Interlaced Scaling--HELP!!!

I just recently shot a feature on Canon's D5 and I have been importing and converting footage to Apple ProRes for Final Cut using Mpeg Streanclip.

After converting 75% of the footage I realized that I was supposed to UNCHECK the "interlaced scaling", something I did not do.

The fact that you have to uncheck "interlaced scaling" every time is very annoying but can't really complain about an overall awesome free program.

Does anyone know if the footage I spent a weeks worth of time converting (D5 to ProRes) will be ok to edit or to I need to re-convert everything??? What do I Do???

Also, what about the other checkbox settings; 'deinterlace video", "frame blending" & "better downscaling"? What to check, what not to check?

OR Should I just go with a different program all together to convert my bulk of footage? Final cut or compressor maybe?

Thanks for any input you pros can send my way.

Daniel Weber July 2nd, 2011 10:48 PM

Re: Canon D5, Mpeg Streamclip, Interlaced Scaling--HELP!!!

I have found that even after unchecking the boxes to make the footage progressive, the clips are identified in FCP as interlaced.

I have gone to transferring the files into FCP using the EOS Plugin from Canon. It is not as fast as MPEG Streamclip, but it lets you log your clips and change the file names as they are imported. If find that this is very important.

Daniel Weber

Nigel Barker July 3rd, 2011 03:03 AM

We too used to use MPEG Streamclip but now prefer Log & Transfer not least because it is a good opportunity to skim through all your clips to review footage. You can also mark in & out points so you only convert what you actually need.

Danny Winn July 3rd, 2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Bauer (Post 1663884)
I just recently shot a feature on Canon's D5 and I have been importing and converting footage to Apple ProRes for Final Cut using Mpeg Streanclip.

After converting 75% of the footage I realized that I was supposed to UNCHECK the "interlaced scaling", something I did not do.

The fact that you have to uncheck "interlaced scaling" every time is very annoying but can't really complain about an overall awesome free program.

Does anyone know if the footage I spent a weeks worth of time converting (D5 to ProRes) will be ok to edit or to I need to re-convert everything??? What do I Do???

Also, what about the other checkbox settings; 'deinterlace video", "frame blending" & "better downscaling"? What to check, what not to check?

OR Should I just go with a different program all together to convert my bulk of footage? Final cut or compressor maybe?

Thanks for any input you pros can send my way.

Hey Sean, not sure if this is an option you would consider but in Adobe Premeire Pro CS5 you don't need to convert the 5D files at all, this program plays and edits these files flawlessly.

I've been using this program since I bought my 5D five months ago and i'm very happy with no conversion needed.