DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Sharpening in CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/498869-sharpening-cs4.html)

Jason McDonald July 25th, 2011 09:20 PM

Sharpening in CS4

How do you sharpen in CS4 when you've used a flat profile. It seems when I try to get some of my sharpness back it leaves a bit of a white border around the entire image (Too much I assume) but any less and I don't see the difference between the color graded without sharpen and the color graded with minor sharpen...it seems to just tip over for me...

am I missing something?

I'm working with 1DM4 footage using NeoScene to convert the files.

Paul Cuoco July 27th, 2011 06:25 PM

Re: Sharpening in CS4

Usually use a combination of Unsharp Mask and Sharpen filters. Though recently I started using the Pop slider in Colorista II. If you overdo it you will get those halos. I usually check peoples eyes as reference.

Jason McDonald August 1st, 2011 10:20 PM

Does anyone use in camera sharpening? Even to a little degree?

Tony Davies-Patrick August 3rd, 2011 04:33 AM

I never shoot with a 'flat' in-camera profile. My main in-camera Profiles are Fuji Velvia (Globetrotter adjusted): 4,2,1,0; Kodachrome 2: 0,-1,1,1 and Fuji Reala: 3,1,1,1. I almost always have my cameras set on the User Defined Globetrotter 4,2,1,0. That relates to pushing colour, sharpness & contrast in camera. I may make some added post adjustment in sharpness with Adobe Photoshop to stills images when required, but never add sharpness to video footage in post. My most used tool in Photoshop is "curves".

Brian Brown August 3rd, 2011 10:42 PM

Did you also try Gaussian Blur? I use sharpen all the time, since my 7D footage has a much greater tendency to moire with any sharpness added on a profile, so I add it in post. I use PPro CS5.5, and don't notice a white border on the sharpen filter, which is supported as a Mercury Playback (realtime) filter.

CS5 is a really major upgrade with the 64-bit and MPE. A life-changer, IMHO.

Jeff Murray August 11th, 2011 04:26 AM

I'd agree with that Brian. We have morphed this into an Editor post. But while it's here why not?

I have been an Avid fan for 10 years. I've now done a project in CS5.5 and I love it. I don't know where I would be without After Effects integration, warp stabilise in AE, the whole Adobe integration (ie: Bridge [for frame level editing in PS5.5] and Audition.)

I found the editing tools in Premiere far more friendly. There is still a hint of the old problems of slower editing due to render times. But the gap has closed by far and a fairly cheap upgrade to my Graphics Card will get me closer to what I have with Avid. It's still a good playback using Mercury on the current system - but Avid is faster and smoother for FX rendering.

I think I will end up upgrading to a Nvidia FX 3800 and sticking with Adobe. AE has a huge edge over the Avid-badged Boris FX and is much easier to learn and use.

Nigel Barker August 13th, 2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1672173)
My main in-camera Profiles are Fuji Velvia (Globetrotter adjusted): 4,2,1,0; Kodachrome 2: 0,-1,1,1 and Fuji Reala: 3,1,1,1. I almost always have my cameras set on the User Defined Globetrotter 4,2,1,0. That relates to pushing colour, sharpness & contrast in camera.

Tony, please could you explain these colour profiles & where they can be found?

Jordi Luque July 18th, 2012 05:32 AM

Hi Jason,
I've noticed the same, but in Premiere Cs6 on mac osX. When I apply sharpen to my 5d mk3 footage a thin White line appears around the image...its very frustrating!!! I have tested it on a macbook pro also on a macpro. Same results :((
I have not find any info about except on your post. This only happens to me?? :(((
Did you find a solution about??
best regards!