DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   So, is the 5D3 soft? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/506323-so-5d3-soft.html)

Tony Davies-Patrick April 2nd, 2012 05:37 AM

Re: So, is the 5D3 soft?

James is still answering recent questions with no hint of it being April fool, so I don't think he would continue if it were a joke.

Considering the amazing sharpness and detail that the D800 and D800(E) provides, it should be obvious that the 5D Mark III would provide improved sharpness with one of the OLP filters removed (the Mark III has two seperate OLPFs). You then of course have to deal with other minor added problems such a no self-cleaning option, loss of warranty and a few other issues.

I am now beginning to wonder if the stills and video performance of the older Canon Mark II would be improved by removing the OLPF? It would also be safer (cheaper) doing a home-hack job on a Mk2.

Markus Nord April 2nd, 2012 06:25 AM

I'm no tech-guy, so I don't know... Its sounds just weird that is ok to remove the AA filter, when that was what everyone sad about the D800E, “don't buy the E, 'cause it's no god for video, without the AA filter”. If that's right or not I don't know...

That, combined with PB is offline and then he public this at 1st if April AND doing updates of the bloggpost when he is out at sea.

It doesn’t matter for me, I would NOT do this to any camera anyway...

Tim Polster April 3rd, 2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1724298)
Interesting lens resolution tests on different camera bodies - Canon 5D Mk2 & Mk3, Nikon D700 and D800:

LensRentals.com - “D” resolution tests

I wonder if this directly translates from stills to video? I will be interested to see a head to head video resolution test.

Andy Wilkinson July 23rd, 2012 06:34 AM

I thought I'd post this here in this few months old thread as it seemed the best place.

James Miller has recently posted this film on Vimeo. It is a comparison of the 1DX and 5DMkIII, both with sharpening applied in post - some lovely images!

Bill Grant July 25th, 2012 10:55 PM

Gentlemen. I have too much shooting to do to worry about 890 lines resolved vs 1000. I have the mkIII and so far it has performed beautifully up to 8000 ISO. I had a mkII and I notice that it takes a good bit more crunching in post than the II. Works for me These are silly things to argue about. Go out and shoot.
Bill

Maurice Covington August 9th, 2012 02:42 PM

Bill,

When you talk about crunching what exactly does that mean.

Bill Grant August 10th, 2012 08:23 AM

Color correction, exposure correction, gradingish stuff (even though I would never call it grading) curves and things. The image is more recoverable on the MkIII. MkII you pretty much had to get it right.
Bill