DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   New 5d3 - Now what? EVF or LCDVF or Zfinder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/506434-new-5d3-now-what-evf-lcdvf-zfinder.html)

Brian Cassar January 5th, 2013 11:52 AM

Re: New 5d3 - Now what? EVF or LCDVF or Zfinder?

I've just bought the Swivi LCD VF:
I have found it excellent. I like the build of it and its many nice features such as in-built lens cover, the ability to swivel open and the ability to be completely removed very easily. I have never used a Zacuto - so I cannot compare. But I do know that I have saved a great deal of cash from not buying a Zacuto. I do own a Hoodman though - however there is no comparison to the way it attached to the DSLR.

To be fair I found 2 problems which need to be highlighted.

1) With a 5d Mk2, the mounting comes in front of the on / off switch! I solved the problem by keeping an allen key and using it to switch on and off. Not ideal but workable.

2) I had a problem with the Swivi base plate. It has three 1/4" holes in which to attach further equipment. However my Beachtek DXA-SLR Pro could not fit! It seems that either Beachtek are using a slightly thicker screw or the Swivi base plate threads are slightly thinner. I did manage to attach other 1/4" items to the Swivi. Hence it seems that the Beachtek is the problem - even though the Beachtek fits in perfectly in the camera's 1/4" thread!!! This was solved by using a Manfrotto quick release plate in between the Swivi and the Beachtek and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as now I can quickly remove the Beachtek when I need to use my DSLR for photography.

I also noticed that the Swivi base plate can be used to attach the hand grip to it - thus eliminating the need of an additional base plate.

All in all, it's a lovely piece of equipment and one that has been decently priced.

Josh Bass January 6th, 2013 04:51 AM

Glad you're mostly happy with it.

Does it cover any of the other buttons besides power?

Can you see the whole screen?

Brian Cassar January 6th, 2013 09:19 AM

All other buttons are accessible - though the left hand side ones are partially covered but still accessible.

The screen is totally seen - it does not cover any part of it. The above comments apply for the 5DMk2.

For its price it's a fantastic item. I am glad that I got to know about it via this thread.

I especially like the flip over aspect of the VF. I am used to film with a Sony EX3 and it too has such a flipping over action.

Geoff Schatzel February 1st, 2013 01:23 PM

I bought the new Lcdvfs for the Mk III and I have found that the screen looks almost soft. I still use my Mk II as the main camera because of this. Even when the focus is dead on the screen just looks off but it looks fine in post. I have tried both Lcdvfs that I bought and it's the same.

Anyone find this? I have seen a few people mention this on another forum so I know i'm not alone.

Steve Montoto February 2nd, 2013 09:42 AM

I have both the Zacuto Zfinder and the LCDVFC3 for my Mark IIIs and they both look fine/about the same to me. The focusing tolerance should be 1/2 inch so I don't know.

I know its alot harder to get focus with the subject farther away, but I roll the focus back and forth and come to the middle where it looks the sharpest, then in post it generally looks good.