New 5d3 - Now what? EVF or LCDVF or Zfinder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Major Player

New 5d3 - Now what? EVF or LCDVF or Zfinder?

Is the new screen on the 5d3 improved to the point that I would just need a loop when available? Or do you guys think that the Zacuto EVF or like is still the way to go? Thoughts?

Also do you guys have any insight on what will be available as in loops?
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Contributor

Re: New 5d3 - Now what? EVF or LCDVF or Zfinder?

You can get the Zacuto Z-finder and then later on if you want the EVF buy it. The Z-finder snaps on and off the EVF with ease. I have a frame on my camera too, so I can just use the Z-finder alone or snap it off and put it on the EVF. Because the Zacuto EVF has nice edge sharpening, it's fairly easy to follow focus if you're by yourself. Also, you can tilt it in whatever direction you want, very nice for low angles. If those two things aren't necessary to you, then you might not really need it.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I wish Canon had just added peaking to the 5DMK3. Having spent 3k on a camera I now also now need to buy an EVF to help me focus.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Bill. Do any of you know if besides the peaking etc, the 5dmk3 screen is better resolution than the Zacuto Evf? Im just curious how much better the screen upgrade is from the mk2.
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Steve, I first bought the LCDVF because I liked the magnet and anti screen burn technologies. But it has no diopter and I couldn't get it to work with my eyes. The 5DM3 does not change the Canon approach of switching the LCD to standard definition while recording.

For my 5DM2, I got the Zacuto Z-finder pro and I'm glad I did. It's the standard for a reason. I think you'll find shooting with a loupe to limit creativity wrt to camera position. The EVF solves that and gives you more shooting positions not just comfortable viewing positions. Also, the focus and exposure assists in the EVF are a great relief for DSLR filming. But, as I'm sure you realize, adding these things puts you in range of something like an FS-100. YMMV

@Tariq, Exposure assist is the next thing you'll miss from a camcorder. :-)
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Trustee

I have the SmallHD DP4 EVF along with the 5D mkIII.

The LCD's seem comparable and are both hi-res enough to pull accurate focus with the loupe.
I have a Z-Finder that I normally use on my 7D which I held up to the 5D LCD and it seemed about the same.
Problem is the Z-Finder is too small for the 5D LCD which is a touch larger than the 7D. Hopefully Zacuto should be releasing a version soon.

The main reason I went with the EVF was to have adjustable angles and positions. My Z-finder/7D rig works great but there are those times when I can't bend my body or neck to get the camera and viewfinder in the right place. Not an issue with the SmallHD.

Also, the EVF's have hdmi loops which means my clients can watch either on a TV or my field monitor. Can't do that with just a loupe.

I've read good things about the Zacuto EVF and can say only great things about the SmallHD. Either would work great!
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys. I feel better now about having to spend another 1k for EVF. It looks like to be quite a few upgrades from the factory lcd.
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
Problem is the Z-Finder is too small for the 5D LCD which is a touch larger than the 7D. Hopefully Zacuto should be releasing a version soon.
I called Zacuto and asked about Z Finders working with the 5DM3. They are releasing new snap on frames in a few weeks (hopefully by NAB) that will work on the 5DM3.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

This has been my better and not to $$$$$ solution for my 5D-7D and 60D !! this one so cheap
and with DIOPTER option !! after install this ,MY FOCUS LIFES CHANGE..

Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Bencosme View Post
This has been my better and not to $$$$$ solution for my 5D-7D and 60D !! this one so cheap
and with DIOPTER option !! after install this ,MY FOCUS LIFES CHANGE..

Amazon.com: Flashpoint LCD Foldaway Viewfinder 3X magnification: Camera & Photo
I have one of these sold under the brand name NEEWER for my 5D2. They are great value & very decent optically. They are not as robust as a Z-Finder but are a fraction of the price.

Unfortunately it uses a stick on frame that does not fit the larger LCD on the 5D3. In fact I am not sure that any stick on frame is going to be entirely suitable for the 5D3 as there is very little space around the LCD to glue on a frame without cropping off some of the view.

Last edited by Nigel Barker; April 2nd, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I agree with you on the 5d and 7d the stick frame is a little small,for the 60d is Excellente

Last edited by Franklin Bencosme; April 1st, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Major Player

I have the Zacuto stick on frame on my 5DII and am thinking about removing this before I sell the 5DII to upgrade to a 5DIII. Does anyone have experience or advice about removing these stick on frames?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Major Player

Charles there was a film on the Zacuto Vimeo channel about removing the Z-Finder frame. Squashing the long sides towards each other I think was the gist of it. And if it breaks, tell them and they'll send you a new one.

I have the EVF and the Z-finder for my 5D2 and/or 7D and as Bill says, it's great to use on the frame on cam or on the frame on the EVF. When on camera, the LCD pixels are noticeable through the loupe but they're not on the EVF. Also as previously stated I also got the EVF so I could have a flip round screen when I need it, peaking, focus assist, looping hdmi etc…

Incidentally I found a loupe called the Seagull for a fraction of the price which fits the Zacuto frame too, so I can have that on the 7D as well if I need it. I think the magnification on the Seagull is 2.8
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Major Player

Well I got the Zfinder EVF Flip version. Its definitely not as compact a just the lcdvf and stickon. But it looks good and is built like a tank with the focusing assist functions. I am going to give it a trial run next weekend on a shoot and we will see how it does run and gun.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Major Player

Could someone with the Zacuto Evf give me a little advise. I used it yesterday and have a couple questions.

Used on Canon Mk3 btw.
1. Having problems with between showing camera info and screen size. I would like to show the info and have the screen full frame, but I haven't been able to do it.

2. Anyone have issues with the zacuto battery? I showed 2 bars left and the EVF shut off while I was recording. Had to change the battery.

3. What peaking level are you using? 3 seems a little strong

Other than the viewing size of the screen getting small when I display info I line the peaking and zoom functions.
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD