DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   MK III Quick Control Button (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/506453-mk-iii-quick-control-button.html)

Thierry Humeau March 28th, 2012 10:25 AM

MK III Quick Control Button

Seems like the Quick Control Button on the MK III will be used a lot for navigation and quick features access. That said, while in shooting mode, I really don't like to see the option to change frame rate and codec, that is too easy to do and sure enough, will generate much drama. I'd be happy with the Quick Control Button just giving me access to control audio levels. Is that customizable?

Still no remaining indication of the remaining record time on the card, duh....

Daniel Weber March 29th, 2012 10:57 AM

Re: MK III Quick Control Button

I watched Philip Bloom's review of the camera last night and he showed how he uses the Q button to adjust the audio levels while recording, so it can be done. It must be a setting in the menu that turns this on.

Daniel Weber

Thierry Humeau March 29th, 2012 04:02 PM

Dan,

Sorry, I misspoke.... I know how to use the QCB to access audio control, I just wish I could limit it to that. I am just worried that while in QC mode, some of my operators will mistakenly change the frame rate or compression mode. This is way too easy to do in QC mode.

Nigel Barker March 30th, 2012 02:11 AM

I cannot imagine a situation where you would want to change frame rate or resolution while recording so adjusting these parameters should be disabled during recording.

Thierry Humeau March 30th, 2012 07:30 AM

I could see using it to overcrank to 60p while filming in 1080 but would rather have a configurable button for that.

Nigel Barker March 30th, 2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 1723977)
I could see using it to overcrank to 60p while filming in 1080 but would rather have a configurable button for that.

You must be dreaming:-) You cannot overcrank to 60p while filming in 1080. I also don't really see the situation where mid shot you would suddenly change the frame rate to 60p while filming in 720.

Thierry Humeau March 30th, 2012 05:48 PM

I know. I meant that while filming at 1080 30p. and if in need to get a smooth slomo, I'd like to quickly set the camera to 720 60p and back to 1080 30p. There is such a functionality on Sony's EX1R, you can switch straight from 1080 30p to 720 60p just by pressing the programmable Slow and Fast button. Lights in blue too, very cool :)

Daniel Weber March 30th, 2012 08:19 PM

Thierry,

Are you happy with the Mark III? I am looking to upgrade our 7D's and had budgeted this year for a Canon 1Dx, but getting two Mark III's seems to be a better option. After reading all the reviews though, I am now on the fence with this decision.

Hope that your keeping busy!

Daniel Weber

Thierry Humeau March 30th, 2012 09:44 PM

Dan,

I think the MKIII is a very fine update to the MK2 and issues that have been reported here and there are way overblown.

A very comprehensive and in depth head to head comparison between the two 5Ds based on actual footage, not measurements. All these scenes are well chosen and extremely well shot. And if you like the Citroën DS, you'll be in heaven...

I have no regret at all in my MKIII purchase, I am now just waiting for Zacuto's updated Z-Finder frame to utilize the camera's potential fully.

Take care,

Jon Fairhurst March 30th, 2012 09:46 PM

We haven't seen enough 1DX video, but here are my thoughts...

* We know it doesn't have a headphone jack.

* It has a much faster system than the 5D3, so rolling shutter is likely to be much improved. The 1D4 already had half of the rolling shutter of the 5D2, so it's reasonable to expect the 1DX to be twice as fast as the 5D3 as well.

* Canon rolled out very similar video features across all their cameras during the previous generation, so one would expect the 1DX video quality to be very similar to the 5D3; however, with faster processing, it's possible that the 1DX has better filtering for more resolution. I have my doubts. I expect the video processing to be nearly identical.

* As I recall the 1DX can record to dual CF cards, rather than the CF/SD combo.

* The 1DX has better weather sealing.

* The 1DX is bigger and heavier.

It seems to me that the 1DX would be better in rough, high motion conditions, but the 5D3 is the better overall value.

Daniel Weber March 30th, 2012 10:14 PM

Theirry - Thank you for the link. Very good review of the camera. Much better than the others that I have seen.

Jon -

I think for what I have in my budget, I will probably get two 5DM3's instead of the one 1Dx. It just makes more sense. My two 7D's can then be back up cameras.

Looks like the only way to get the camera now is with the 24-105 kit lens. That isn't a bad way to go as it is a good "walk around" lens which fits in nicely with my Doc work.

Thanks for the feedback,

Daniel Weber

Nigel Barker March 31st, 2012 01:22 AM

We are extremely pleased with our two 5D3s. They are a really significant improvement on the 5D2 in all sorts of ways both big (super low light performance, absent moire & aliasing, 30 minute recording limit) & small (custom filenames, locking pin on mode dial). With the extreme low light performance the otherwise excellent 24-105mm F/4L IS kit lens that was limited by the narrow aperture is now even useful for video indoors.

I had a 1DX on order (still do actually) but am glad that the 5D3 shipped before the 1DX if the video performance is to be similar. I don't need the extra weather sealing or 12fps stills. There still seems no sign of the 1DX shipping & it's looking very expensive if video is your prime interest as the money it will cost will buy nearly two 5D3s or half a C300.