DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Hissing sound on 5DMK3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/508798-hissing-sound-5dmk3.html)

Tariq Peter June 25th, 2012 12:55 PM

Hissing sound on 5DMK3

Hi,

I have the Rode VIDEOMIC PRO attached to my 5DMKIII, when monitoring the audio through the headphone jack I am getting a terrible hiss. This happens if I use -20 or +20.

The audio levels seem fine on the camera but I just can't get rid of the hissing sound. Is this normal?

Colin Rowe June 25th, 2012 01:09 PM

Re: Hissing sound on 5DMK3

Is it on the recorded footage or just when monitoring ?

John Carroll June 26th, 2012 11:15 AM

There is no noise reduction applied to the audio that is fed to the headphones. As long as the audio on the final recording sounds good, this is normal (or at least expected...)

Just did a test with my camera and audio sounds great!

Tariq Peter November 22nd, 2012 07:18 AM

I purchased the Audio Technica Omni ATR3350 today and it's terrible in my opinion. I am surprised that people are recommending this at all.

The issue I am having is when I attach headphones to my camera it creates a hissing noise which also gets transferred onto the recording. It is bizarre and this is with any headphones.

I have used both the Rode Mic Pro and today the Audio Technica and both with the same results.
Any idea what this could be?

Colin Rowe November 22nd, 2012 07:30 AM

Is audio set to manual or auto ?

Tariq Peter November 22nd, 2012 07:34 AM

The audio is set to Manual and I have connected it directly to the Camera

Colin Rowe November 22nd, 2012 01:50 PM

Does this hissing noise appear on recorded clips when you dont plug in headphones ?
Try turning the monitor volume down

Thomas Wong November 26th, 2012 12:39 AM

I know there is hiss on mk2, if the audio input is the same on mk3. this is what you got from a 5D

5D's audio is just a 1/8 mini headphone jack, you are not gonna expect it to give you balance audio signal

If you want professional audio quality, you should go for an external recorder or a camcorder with XLR input

John Carroll November 26th, 2012 08:34 AM

Mark 3 actually has much better noise reduction than the Mark 2... I record straight into my Mk3 all the time and get very nice results. No way is it as clean as going with a separate audio system, but for most of my projects it is good enough. There is some hiss present, not much though. It is never too much for a quick noise reduction filter to take care of in post. I would have to say that if you are using a mic that forces you to have the input levels on your camera any higher than roughly 50%, it's probably not a good fit for use with the 5DM3. If you go too high on the input levels you probably are getting more hiss than you can deal with.

Regardless, I normally spend time on the audio mix before a project is finished, so adding a noise reduction pass really doesn't add much to my time in post, but the simplified audio setup on set pays dividends in terms of speed and not having to have a sound guy (more money for me!)
It takes me way less time to apply a quick noise reduction filter to an audio clip than it does to sync seperate audio and video. So extra time in post really is a non-issue for me.

Again, no comparison that you will get better results with a dual system recording audio separately, but you may not need it depending on the type of work you are doing. Is there going to be music over the entire piece? You might be fine. Is this a dramatic piece with plenty of silence? Get a sound guy and go dual system for sure.

Either way, you should be able to get better sound going straight to camera than what it sounds like you are getting. Certainly possible that something's not right... especially if having the headphones plugged in makes hiss louder, that really should not happen.

Any chance you could be plugging headphones into the audio in jack?
Stranger things have happened, right?

Good luck getting to the bottom of things! Audio really can ruin your project if it's not right.

Al Bergstein November 28th, 2012 12:56 AM

Well, I am not getting a hissing sound on my 5D Mark iii when I use a wired lav to it. Here's the proof. The three interviews in this were shot a few weeks ago, directly plugged into the 5D (not something I usually do).
Gave me enough courage I'm doing it again! (just got the Mkiii a month ago). There was no post audio cleanup done on these. I used a Sennheiser little wired lav, ( plugged right into the input, and had cans on to monitor it.

But honestly, I have the Rode Videopro, and it's terrible. It hisses on anything I plug it into, and I only use it for limited uses like close up run and gun audio when I can't afford the time to run a lav or boom it. It's the worse mic I own and I've learned to avoid it like the plague. And always make sure your 9V battery is fresh! Low batteries can add to hiss.

I usually just take out the hiss with Adobe audition in post when I have to use the Rode.

Given my experiences with it, I'd be hard pressed to buy another Rode. My AT shotgun works fine with no hiss on my Mkiii. I just run a converter plug to take it to the right jack size.

Maybe your Mkiii is defective if it is exhibiting hiss on all mics.

John Carroll November 28th, 2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bergstein (Post 1765401)
But honestly, I have the Rode Videopro, and it's terrible. It hisses on anything I plug it into, and I only use it for limited uses like close up run and gun audio when I can't afford the time to run a lav or boom it. It's the worse mic I own and I've learned to avoid it like the plague. And always make sure your 9V battery is fresh! Low batteries can add to hiss.

I agree! I bought one to use with my 60D about a year ago and had to return it, it was useless. It may have worked a little better with the MK3, but I didn't own it at the time...

For the OP, it might be worth borrowing/renting another body to test the audio stuff... it's not ready for the big time yet, but should be fine for a lot of projects. Always try to get a couple of seconds of nat sound if you are planning on doing any post cleanup, Audition makes this process a snap.

Colin Rowe December 1st, 2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tariq Peter (Post 1740128)
Hi,

I have the Rode VIDEOMIC PRO attached to my 5DMKIII, when monitoring the audio through the headphone jack I am getting a terrible hiss. This happens if I use -20 or +20.

The audio levels seem fine on the camera but I just can't get rid of the hissing sound. Is this normal?

Did you sort it ????

Tariq Peter December 3rd, 2012 02:40 PM

Unfortunately not, I am testing out a friend’s MK3 this week as I have a suspicious feeling that there is something wrong with the camera.