DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5DMIII locked up during shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/509287-5dmiii-locked-up-during-shoot.html)

Scott Stoneback July 14th, 2012 07:22 AM

5DMIII locked up during shoot

Shooting a longer sit-down interview, the MIII froze and would not respond to any input. Off/on, button presses, etc would not work. Ended up pulling the battery after waiting a few minutes.

I think the card may have reached full, not sure. It was 1.5hrs into interview, I was using SanDisk cards (16gb for each slot, I think). Never had a problem with these cards, shooting in IPB, 1080/30p.

I pulled the card and it seemed like the clip was intact, thank goodness. I wasn't sure what would happen. Camera wasn't particularly hot or anything, in air conditioned space.

Anyone else have this issue? I've been using the cam for several days, since, including another long sitdown. This hasn't happened again.... yet!

Thierry Humeau July 14th, 2012 04:32 PM

Re: 5DMIII locked up during shoot

Same here but the recorded clip ended up corrupted and was no salvageable. The CF card (Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB) has plenty of record time left though... Weird.

Cuong Dinh July 14th, 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 1743481)
Same here but the recorded clip ended up corrupted and was no salvageable. The CF card (Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB) has plenty of record time left though... Weird.

I have exactly the same problem like you, the last clip is gone :( My 5D3 locked up. can't turn off the camera. I need to take out the battery and put it back again. It happen to me only one time, hope never come back.

Scott Stoneback July 15th, 2012 06:33 AM

Hmmm, both of you described losing that last file, so I went back to the cards to double check if the file was there... it is not. I lost that last file, too. Darn it.

I was using the same cards: Sandisk Extreme Pro. I just went back and checked the original cards... they are both 16gb cards. At the time of lock-up/frozen camera, I was writing to the SD card. The CF card filled up, switched to the SD card, recorded one file but froze on the second file, I guess...

I've got the original card, but looking at it I am not seeing any file or any size discrepancy. It looks like there is just no file. The one thing that is there, which isn't on my other cards is this file in the main folder: "GH_C0355.DAT"

The previous .mov file was GH_C0354.MOV, so I am guessing that there is something on this card but that, since it did not close the file, nothing wants to read it. I am going to keep that card and try running it through a file recovery software, once I find one that will be suitable.

I was recording 1080x30p, IPB compression, 16gb Sandisk Extreme Pro CF and SD cards. The camera had been recording a long interview session, probably 1.5hrs of footage with camera on and recording.

Nigel Barker July 15th, 2012 08:35 AM

The 5D3 appears much more prone to video file corruption than the 5D2. I was hoping that it was only with Transcend cards so it's disappointing to discover that it's also happening with SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. Hopefully this will be fixed by a firmware update from Canon.

Scott, the missing file can almost certainly be recovered by using Treasured with Deep Media Scan. Treasure has been invaluable to us for recovering some irreplaceable footage. You just have to decide whether the missing file is worth $99.

Matt Lawrence July 15th, 2012 02:07 PM

This post had me a little worried as tomorrow will be my first extended interview shoot with my new Mark III, so I let my camera record for about 2 hours straight with just pauses to change batteries and cards. No problems whatsoever. I let the recording shut off automatically at the end of the 29 minute limit, when a card was full, and when a battery ran out (using non-Canon batteries). In all cases the entire clip was preserved, although when the battery ran out it seemed to cut off 20 or 30 seconds before it actually shut down, probably loosing what was in the buffer. Also, it was a bit warm in the house I was recording in (30C/86F — don't know if that makes a difference) and there were no lock ups. All this on two 32GB Sandisk Extreme SD cards (45MBs) and a Kingston Ultimate CF card (266x).

I was recording in the All-I format, 1080p. Wonder if the IPB compression might have anything to do with it.

Nigel Barker July 16th, 2012 12:59 AM

We only ever use IPB as All-I just fills up the cards 3X more quickly with no discernible difference in video quality.