EOS 6D - What do you think? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 9th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: EOS 6D - What do you think?

You can use camera to phone outside of a home network. Your phone will see the camera as a hotspot. You just conect like you do any other hotspot. (w/o video support of course)
I do hear good thinks about panasonics gh series. Sensor size was/is a big deal for me. Don't think I could do a 4/3 system.
Old December 9th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #17
Trustee

Patrick, I'm not talking about a hotspot site that offers Internet access over a wireless local area network through the use of a router connected to a link to an Internet service provider. I'm also not referring to being in range of WiFi hotspots near buildings in towns/cities/airports etc.
I'm talking about being in the wilds, say a mountain lake that is connected only to a 3G signal, not receiving full Wifi connection. 3G provides full internet and video download access etc but rarely at WiFi-router connected speeds, and more importantly, some WiFi-Only devices will not operate in 3G-only zones.
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Patrick, I'm not talking about a hotspot site that offers Internet access over a wireless local area network through the use of a router connected to a link to an Internet service provider. I'm also not referring to being in range of WiFi hotspots near buildings in towns/cities/airports etc.
I'm talking about being in the wilds, say a mountain lake that is connected only to a 3G signal, not receiving full Wifi connection. 3G provides full internet and video download access etc but rarely at WiFi-router connected speeds, and more importantly, some WiFi-Only devices will not operate in 3G-only zones.
You set up an ad hoc WiFi network so your iPhone has a direct connection to the camera. It's how you control your AR.Drone with an iPhone & I have done the same when using an Eye-Fi SD card to shoot tethered from my 5D3 to an iPad running ShutterSnitch. Ad hoc networks can be a bit fiddly sometimes so a simpler alternative may be to provide your own WiFi network by using something like a MiFi 3G dongle purely as a wireless access point. The internal battery will last for several hours.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Major Player

apart from the lack of wifi (video mode) what are people's feelings about this camera?
how does it compare to a 5D Mk III or a 7d ?
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #20
Major Player

I'm loving my 6D so far. As good or better than the 5D III in low light. The aliasing and moire are about as bad as the 5D II though...so if that's a big deal to you (as it is many people for very good reasons) definitely save up for the 5D III.

On the photography side of things the IQ is great, the AF system really isn't that bad. I had a very successful shoot with it just yesterday. 4.5 fps is almost too much for me as I do weddings and portraits, but if you're doing sports than the 7D or 1D series will be better suited for you.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #21
Major Player

i'm interested in how good or poor the auto focus is? i have a 7D which doesnt have AF and isn't as good for low light as i expected, perhaps i was expecting too much anyway.
I do some action/sports stuff almost all stills but i have a 1D Mk III for that. In wedding and portraiture i like to use as much natural light as possible - low light capability is the thing there!
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #22
Major Player

The center autofocus point focuses well in the dark (7D rated at EV -0.5 and the 6D rated at EV -3.0, the 5D III at EV -2.5 I believe) and the 6D does just fine at high ISOs , especially compared to the 7D.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #23
Major Player

hmmm was thinking of upgrading the 7D to a 5D Mk III but now i'm considering 6D. I'll wait til after the holidays and revisit this!
:-)
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
hmmm was thinking of upgrading the 7D to a 5D Mk III but now i'm considering 6D. I'll wait til after the holidays and revisit this!
:-)
Well, I was the exact opposite; I was thinking of getting a 6D, but now I'm looking at a 5DMk3.

I am not really seeing any great benefits from this camera (other than the fact that it is FF and reasonably priced). However Canon has real held back on a lot of the features (especially compared to similar options from other manufacturers).

I had put aside about $2,700 to buy the 6D (with the stock lens) - but now I am thinking of spending a few hundred extra to get the 5DMk3 with no lens.

In terms of video with the 5D3 you get:

Reduced aliasing.
Reduced Moire.
Dual memory card slots.
Weather sealing.
Headphone Jack.
Clean uncompressed HDMI out (in the future) - I already have an external recorder that may work well with this feature.

With the 6D you get none of that. In fact one of the few really promising features of the 6D was the ability to monitor over wifi (which has been disabled in video as mentioned above).

Not that it really matters; but I reckon the 5D series seems to hold its value fairly well for resale (but this might not be the case with the 6D)....
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #25
Major Player

after further thought i'm seesawing in the other direction at present, what to do?
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post

I had put aside about $2,700 to buy the 6D (with the stock lens) - but now I am thinking of spending a few hundred extra to get the 5DMk3 with no lens.
I believe that you can get the 5DM3 for around $2600 now if you search around. Act quick though....

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Major Player

Yeah, I just picked up a 5Dmk3. The added benefits were worth the extra cost, to me.

My feeling was that Canon had staggered this device so that they pitched the 6D as an entry level FF camera aimed at photographers, with less emphasis on videographers.

Thats not to say the 6D wont be a nice video camera (I am sure it will do most everything people need) - but the 5D just seems to have more features aimed squarely at the video market.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:07 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Hi Simon,

I think you will be very happy with your choice, the 5D MKIII is a fantastic camera.
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:55 AM   #29
Major Player

So, I just got a 6D as a companion to my MkIII. The reason I went 6D was that as a second camera, I needed the high ISO but didn't need the other bells and whistles from the 5D. It just needs to function in the dark.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM   #30
Major Player

ok after much thinking and rethinking, i've finally opted for the 5D Mk III i would have liked the 6D to be better but unfortunately Canon decided to cripple it. I think the AF system alone on the 5D Mk III will give me benefits that will far out weigh the 6D.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD