DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Tele converter for mark iii (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/510921-tele-converter-mark-iii.html)

Alan Kelly September 24th, 2012 11:08 AM

Tele converter for mark iii

OK I need to get closer than my Tamron 70-200 will take me. Do any of you use a tele converter ? I am looking at a 2x. I know I will lose 2 stops but I dont think it will worry the mark iii. Can you use a Canon teleconverter with Tamron lens ? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Wayne Avanson September 24th, 2012 11:56 AM

Re: Tele converter for mark iii

I have the Canon 2x extender tube thing and it only works with my 70-200 because of the fittings.

Chris Barcellos September 24th, 2012 12:22 PM

I have a Nikon 2x teleconvertor I use with my nikon lenses on my Mark II. I believe you can't help experience some degradation of image capabilities, along with the stop losses, no matter what you do, just because you are adding more elements.

Jon Fairhurst September 24th, 2012 04:10 PM

I used to own the Canon 2x Extender II. I ended up selling it to fund my current L kit.

Personally, I wan't all that happy with the results. It was slower. It was softer. For photos, AF speed really suffered.

If I were to do it again, I'd get a 1.4x extender.

Nigel Barker September 25th, 2012 08:27 AM

I have the 2X TC II for use with the 70-200mm F/2.8L II which is OK for video if there is no alternative but for stills it's sharper to just use the the 70-200mm & crop the image. You lose two stops so the 70-200mm becomes an F/5.6 lens. To be honest for video I've had better results using the 3X HD crop mode on my 600D (T3i). This uses the central 1920x1080 portion of the sensor so delivers the equivalent of a 900mm lens on a full frame camera when I use the 70-200mm at full telephoto & it's still F/2.8. The 600D(T3i) is still available even though the 650D (T4i) is now shipping & costs less than 25% more than just the 2X TC III teleconverter alone.

Wayne Avanson September 29th, 2012 11:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the last time I used the x2 extender on the 70-200 at full stretch. One with and one without of course.

Alan Kelly September 29th, 2012 02:19 PM

thanks for all your advice - really helpful stuff there. Nigel I have a 600d and have used it with the 3x crop and 70-200 Tamron. Its just I would have assumed that the image from the 5d mk iii + Tele converter 2x +Tamron 70 -200 lens would be vastly superior ??

Nigel Barker September 30th, 2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Kelly (Post 1755906)
thanks for all your advice - really helpful stuff there. Nigel I have a 600d and have used it with the 3x crop and 70-200 Tamron. Its just I would have assumed that the image from the 5d mk iii + Tele converter 2x +Tamron 70 -200 lens would be vastly superior ??

A disadvantage with the 3X HD crop mode on the 600D is that you are using just the central part of the sensor do lose that full frame look.

I will be able to tell you what the video is like from the 5D3 with the Canon 2X TC II & Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L as yesterday I shot a wedding & was placed further back from the bride & groom than normal & remembered that I had the 2X TC II in my bag. It looked great on the LCD but it won't be until I start pixel peeking in Premiere that I will discover whether it was a wise move or not.

Andy Wilkinson September 30th, 2012 02:14 AM

Alan,

I have a Canon 1.4x Extender (Version II, not the very latest version III). For a good while I also had in my kit the 2X (Version II) as well (long term load from a friend) so was able to compare them for video and stills work.

I found the softness that the 2x gave me was a step too far, especially for stills but sometimes OKish with video. I'm very happy with the 1.4X, especially since I only lose 1 stop with it. Mind you, I'm currently using it on a Canon 7D so I've already got a 1.6X "advantage" over a 5DMkIII (and that's about the only advantage!)

Now that the Canon 2x Extender (Version III) is available it may well be better - one would hope so. It'll be great to hear how Nigel gets on. In the meantime it might be worth also doing some reading around on the photography forums and be mindful that there are probably at least two versions out there in the supply chain.

Nigel Barker September 30th, 2012 09:26 AM

I have just been reviewing what I shot with the 70-200mm F/2.8L II & 2X TC II. To be honest it looks a bit too soft. They are mainly head shots at F/5.6 so not too bad as the softness is flattering to the skin but I know that if the same clip had been with me closer & no TC that it would have been much sharper. The 70-200 is the sharpest lens I own so the standard is high & it is better than if I had used the 70-200mm alone & then cropped in 2X in the editor. I will use it again if I really have to but I don't think that I would be happy with it if I had been shooting wildlife. The 5D is soft to start off with so perhaps a better test would be to try it on my C300.