DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Magic Lantern & HDMI Output (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/512440-magic-lantern-hdmi-output.html)

Tim Polster November 30th, 2012 02:15 PM

Magic Lantern & HDMI Output

Hello,

I have been checking out Magic Lantern for the MKIII and wanted to ask a question about HDMI output. I thought I had read that ML had found a way to output an HD signal over HDMI?

I do not need to record the signal at this time but it would be great for monitoring on my Small HD DP1x 720p monitor. Right now the signal from the camera has the large black areas around the video.

Is there any way yet to get the video full screen & HD?

Thanks

John Carroll December 3rd, 2012 09:25 AM

Re: Magic Lantern & HDMI Output

Check your firmware for the monitor... I know that on my DP6, they released a new firmware about a year ago that had a special preset for DSLR (both Canon and Nikon) to be able to view the image full screen.
In this mode, some of the OSD is cut off such as histogram, but you do get a nice full-screen image.

Don't know if they did this for your monitor or not... seems like they would have. Not familiar with the DP1 or I would have included a link to the firmware for you.

Good luck!

Tim Polster December 3rd, 2012 08:56 PM

Thanks John. So it is monitor issue? I had thought the MKIII was supposed to output a fullscreen image. I should try to hook it up to a television and see it if it shows fullscreen.

Will go to SmallHD's website and have a look.

John Carroll December 4th, 2012 08:34 AM

Sure thing!
If you plug directly into a HD monitor, it will fit the screen properly... the built in LCD is a different shape (not 16:9) since it displays the HD image as well as OSD data. The odd shape makes it possible to show some of the OSD slightly offscreen so it looks a little less cluttered. Probably not designed that way but more of a happy accident.

Brian Brown December 5th, 2012 09:06 AM

Press the Info button on the 5D3 while plugged-into and HDMI source and it rotates through the various screen overlay options. One option will remove all of the OSD info and zoom up the image quite a bit.

My DP6 has a function to move the display around x and y, and does a fair amount of zooming, too. Perhaps the DP1 does this, as well.

Tim Polster December 5th, 2012 05:57 PM

Thanks. I will give that a try.

John Carroll December 5th, 2012 08:34 PM

Brian- Does your DP6 have the DSLR preset? If not you should download the firmware... sure makes it easy!

Tim Polster December 9th, 2012 10:40 AM

Update. Pressing the INFO button enlarged the image, not filling the entire monitor, but a lot better. Thanks for the tip.

John Carroll December 12th, 2012 01:59 PM

using the DSLR preset (if available) will fill the frame on the horizontal axis completely.