DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Iris noise in Video mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/514049-iris-noise-video-mode.html)

Ben Lynn February 4th, 2013 11:40 AM

Iris noise in Video mode

I picked up a MK3 last week and as I was getting it ready for doing some video work I've noticed that when you adjust the iris while in the video mode the iris makes a clicking noise. However, when you adjust the iris during the photo setting it's completely silent. I haven't noticed anything in the settings that addresses this and I'm wondering if I missed something or if this is something that you have to live with when shooting video? It would be very distracting to have the clicking noise in the video during times when you have to adjust the iris on the fly.

Zoran Vincic February 4th, 2013 12:38 PM

Re: Iris noise in Video mode

It's because while you do adjust the aperture setting in the photo mode, the aperture itself stays wide open until you press the shutter.

Try hitting DOF preview button and you'll see that it'll make the same clicking noise as in video mode as it will physically close the aperture to the setting you selected.

Ben Lynn February 4th, 2013 01:15 PM

That explains why it would happen. Is there no way to eliminate that noise?

John Carroll February 4th, 2013 03:44 PM

Ben, are you concerned about recording noise while adjusting the iris? That part of the video likely wouldn't be very usable anyway since the iris will "jump" in 1/3 stop increments. You won't be able to get a smooth exposure transition while recording. Plus, what you hear is mechanical sound of the iris moving not a digital fake, so it's not something you can turn off... like the shutter sound on some cameras.

Ben Lynn February 4th, 2013 03:58 PM

Ok. That answered my questions. Thanks. I'm gathering this information so I know what to expect when using this type of camera. I know it has a lot of strengths but I also need to know it's weaknesses and limitations so that I can adjust my shot style to fit the tool.

Don Bloom February 4th, 2013 04:49 PM

Ben,
I have a really nice HM700, great for video work, just in case you need it!
O|O
\--/

Ben Lynn February 4th, 2013 05:07 PM

Lol. Nice one Don! I definitely miss the 700 and especially when the new system has limitations. But I'll get through it and make it work. And if I don't, then you'll be hearing from me :-)

Don Bloom February 4th, 2013 07:03 PM

Anytime my friend. I slept with it the other night! Not as warm as my wife but hell I've been with her for 44+ years so I figured she wouldn't mind the camera in bed with me! lol!

Shannon Rawls February 6th, 2013 10:12 AM

Lololololol Don