DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5d mk3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/531017-5d-mk3.html)

Charles Newcomb January 28th, 2016 01:13 PM

5d mk3

After switching to DSLRs about five years ago I found myself finally settled in with the 2 5D MK3s I had acquired. Using them in many different configurations became as natural as using my right arm. Then, bout a year ago I retired. In in fit of what I now know was depression, I got rid of the 2 5D MK3s and all of my ancillary gear, and bought a 6D "just in case I wanted to do something someday."

It left a huge hole in my life. I had no idea how much I was attached to that camera for video and for stills. I let it eat at me for months and months, until last month Canon came out with some killer deals in anticipation of the new replacement for the MK3, especially bundles. I couldn't take it anymore. In the Purchase Now box I clicked, and as of Monday it's here. I hope the new owner of the 6D enjoys it.

I know, I know: There are newer technologies out there, even a few that work better in low light. I don't care. It's my right arm. Even though it sits in the bag more than the ones did when I was working, I'm comforted just knowing it's there if I need it and I know it will give me spectacular results.

Last night I found myself just holding it, gently caressing its buttons and feeling like and old lover had come home from war.

I know: I'm sick. But I love that camera.

Jon Fairhurst January 28th, 2016 03:22 PM

Re: 5d mk3

As a 5D2(!) owner, I can relate. Though, lately I've been fantasizing about what a 5D4 will be like....

Steve Bleasdale January 28th, 2016 05:28 PM

My 6ds full frame light, bokeh in all the right places lens that ooze quality, can't wait for new 5d4 or new 6d 2
Something about full frame that kills everything else.

Rob Cantwell January 29th, 2016 01:26 PM

:-)

I still feel like that about my 1 DS Mark III, I know it's not as versatile as my 5D Mark III, but theres quality n the build and that something else that no other camera I've owned has.

Ger Griffin February 10th, 2016 04:04 PM

Hands down the most beautiful and perfect video images Ive ever created were done with my 5d3 in raw video mode with the ML hack. If it wasnt for the filesizes and workflow its what I would be using still and for a long time yet.

Jon Fairhurst February 10th, 2016 04:28 PM

Same story here on the 5D2 with ML RAW. We used it to shoot greenscreen and the images (though limited in size/resolution) were amazing. We could pull the most detailed keys and grade the image with impunity.

The workflow and data rates really ruin the experience though. We didn't really have the hardware, manpower, and time to deal with it. Also, the software process we used was a bit experimental and was very slow. For various unrelated reasons, we scuttled the project on which we used RAW. In some ways, it was like shooting film. "We'll review the footage tomorrow after it's been ingested and processed."

On the other hand, shooting RAW on set was a good thing. What's the color temp? Doesn't matter. What picture profile will we use? Doesn't matter. What ISO? The native ISO. Always. What shutter angle? 180° unless we're doing something odd. Basically, all we had to set was the aperture. That made the process of setting up the shot fast and simple. Roll audio. Roll video. Action. Frame and Focus. Cut.

Ger Griffin February 10th, 2016 05:05 PM

Yes not be used for anything that required a fast turnaround but so worth the effort. To have so much flexibility as to how the finished shots should look gave me a control beyond anything I had up to that point. So much so that I noticed myself getting very very picky when grading. Id imagine a close to perfect tool for indie filmmakers even now with all the alternatives.

Buba Kastorski June 16th, 2016 09:41 AM

i wonder if ML will come up with the hack for 1DXmkII, that would be awesome!
It is a very nice camera already, but in raw it would be something;