6D mark II video problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 15th, 2022, 01:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

6D mark II video problems

I use 6D mark II to shoot interview video because it is an inexpensive camera that allows blurring the background when used with fast prime lenses.

There are just a few problems:
(1) low dynamic range
(2) a higher contrast look than video shot with a camcorder (sony FDR AX100)
(3) focus hunting when using face tracking, even when the face is bright and clear and not moving much

What color space does it use for video? It seems to have higher contrast than rec 709 video produced by the camcorder, and there seems to be no way to change the video colorspace.
I think this higher contrast also contributes to its lower dynamic range. It's like recording audio with a higher gain -- the audio is more likely to clip.

All 3 problems seems like fixable in firmware, making this old camera way more useful. But there is no such fix from canon, and no 3rd party firmware (magic lantern) for this camera. Why fix an old camera when you can sell a new camera, right?

I guess buying a R6 would solve at least the first 2 problems. That's $2500 per camera and I need a multi camera setup. Is there a cheaper solution?
Peter Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2022, 09:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 6D mark II video problems

A Canon EOS-90D. You’d have to compromise on your full-frame sensor. The APS-C sensor on a 90D is very close to Super35. At least you would have a camera designed for video.

It’s not only sensor size that affects available shallow Depth of Field…

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD