DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL 2- Black border in DV editing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/10568-gl-2-black-border-dv-editing.html)

James Farley June 7th, 2003 12:42 AM

GL 2- Black border in DV editing?

I've read that the GL 2 footage shows a black border in DV editing programs like Adobe Premiere and Vegas. Is this true?

Graham Bernard June 7th, 2003 01:55 AM

VEGAS here!

I use VEGAS 4.0c . How much of a black border are we saying? If I've got a white area within the "shot", and I have VEGAS's Preview window set to "White" background there is a very very very fine black edge - haven't noticed this in the final clips to TV? I'll rephrase this - I can't see a black border. I'm looking at a piece I did in a park - lots of "white" areas. On the bottom, left and right - no black border. But on the top edge there is a very VERY fine black "edge" - I wouldn't say it is a border. In fact I'm running it now - while writing this - it appears to be as "thick" as the "separation" lines on this DVinfo.net page, used to separate, for example, any of the very fine "field" lines on this page, e.g. immeadiately to the left of this message as you are reading. It's that "fine" - yes? - Now, I've had this "line" at the top and sometimes at the bottom of the Preview Window. My guess it is an adjacent pixel "fill" line to make everuthing "square-up" - I'm not using the correct jargon here, but I guess with all the variations of pixles, formats and so on something has to give and the programmers have needed to literally "Draw-The-Line" somewhere! Oh - I'm fully previewing a PAL project i.e 720x576.

And, as I said, it doesn't appear in ANY of my final edited projects on TV.

Hope this helps. - Better still, don't take my word for it, download a demo - unfortunately VEGAS doesn't allow you to Print To Tape - well it wouldn't would it! They want you to buy the fully functioning product.

Best regards,

Grazie

Don Palomaki June 7th, 2003 05:26 AM

It is in the overscan area and will not appear on a TV set. It is likely to appear on computer screens because they do not have the overscan feature.

James Farley June 7th, 2003 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't own a GL 2. The reason I asked about the black edge was, that was the only thing standing in the way of my buying one. Now, I'm going to go ahead and buy a GL 2 this week. This is a great forum. I've found answers to every question I've had about the camcorder.

Rob Easler June 9th, 2003 09:13 PM

James, the black bars you refer to apply to the GL1. Some older models output something like 704 x 480 instead of 720 x 480 which is the standard DV output size. The templates for NLE DV editing are usually preset to the DV standard of 720 x 480 so the result is the black bars of the verticle outside edges. Some NLE's have a preset for 704 x 480 to accomodate this situation. Pinnacle's DV500, and the like do this. With Vegas you can set the ratio to anything you want so you can get rid of them easily enough. You would not ever see them on a 4:3 TV anyway but you might notice them on a projection and definately while editing. The GL2 outputs at 720 x480 and has no "black bars".