DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Question re: VL-3 Light on GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/10943-question-re-vl-3-light-gl2.html)

Lyle Pendy June 17th, 2003 12:34 PM

Question re: VL-3 Light on GL2

Hello,

I recently purchased the GL2 and am having a lot of fun with it. What a difference compared to my Sony TRV-11!

Anyway, I've been reading through a ton of posts here trying to learn more on the use of the camera (great forum, BTW!). Specifically, I was reading up on microphones & XLR adaptors. I have a fair amount of reading to do on this yet but one question comes to mind.

If I wanted to use the VL-3 light at the same time as a different microphone (camera mounted shotgun), am I locked in to using the MA-300 adaptor? I've not been able to figure out how to hook both up at the same time if necessary.

Thanks!
Lyle

Ken Tanaka June 17th, 2003 02:47 PM

Hello Lyle,
Yes, since the VL-3 (3w) light occupies, and is powered through, the GL2's hot shoe I'm pretty sure you would have to use a different XLR adapter (ex: BeachTek, Studio One). The MA-300 has a top shoe but I don't think it's "live". Not having an MA-300 myself, I could be mistaken.

Graham Bernard June 17th, 2003 03:13 PM

Got that right Ken!

No supply through the MA300 - I've got it and I had to buy a lamp that has its own power supply. It was a toss-up, EITHER a Canon Lamp accessory OR the MA300 - went with the later. Problem here is that when I've got the MA300 sitting on top of XM2 plus the Senni mic in its clamp, THEN I place this battery [ weight ]lamp on top, apart from me looking like an alien extra from a '50s B movie sci-fi holding a ludicrous Ray gun - my basic engineering physics tells me there is a lot of "leverage" = "snap" at the hotshoe connection to the XM2 body. This connection is, of course, plastic - rugged - but still plastic.

My only quibble so far with Canon's design on this is that they went a very long way in producing a smashing cammie - truly! - but quite frankly they lost the plot at this final accessory, the Lamp OR MA300 - not both - shame really.

Sooooo.... another type of adaptor, Beechtek or whatever, gives you a connection to the Hot Shoe for your lamp - yeah? - The other PLUS for this is that the lamp would then be powered off the Lith Ion battery - this is a good thing. The battery on my external lamp has its only 12 minute duration Cad. battery - not good.

Regards

Grazie

Jeff Price June 17th, 2003 03:16 PM

If you wanted to hold off on an XLR adaptor and use the hot shoe for a light you could get a flash bracket at a camera store and mount that from your tripod hole (some will allow a tripod to be used as well). Then mount the shotgun mic on the flash shoe of the bracket. These sorts of brackets run about $10 or so.

Rob Wilson June 17th, 2003 03:20 PM

Another option would be to use the VL3 (which is great for close interview low light work) and mount your mic on a bracket like NRG's http://www.nrgresearch.com/grip2bracket.htm
Still requres the use of a XLR adapter but it will work.

I'm working on a combination XLR Adapter/Wireless Receiver/Mic mount for the GL1/2 that will keep the ME66 (with windscreen)out of frame, we'll see how well it works.

Lyle Pendy June 18th, 2003 04:50 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Using a camera bracket had not occured to me and as it turns out, I have one I use with my still cameras. Seems like it will work fine for the rare instances I might need to use it.

It extends about 4" off the left side of the GL2 with just enough room to open the LCD. Access to the custom keys is a bit of a challenge but I'm not too worried about that. The vertical extension is 5" high. Once I place a mic on it, I may join Graham as another extra in that Sci-Fi movie!

Now to make that microphone purchase decision....

Thanks again,
Lyle

Bob Harotunian June 20th, 2003 06:51 AM

I think for the most flexibility, the BeachTek adapter DXA-4P works great and it frees your hotshoe for a bracket like the Cool Lux (MD3000?) for a light and mic combo. Only issues...added weight and mic windscreen may show a shadow when using light.
Bob