DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2-SD cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/11490-gl2-sd-cards.html)

Gerald Goulder July 1st, 2003 09:20 AM

GL2-SD cards

How do I get a still image from the GL2 to my PC, please and thank you?
I keep getting them on the form of a "movie"/.avi. But I want the still images on my PC to use as images on web site, not movie.

Graham Bernard July 1st, 2003 10:27 AM

1 - Are you talking about the stills on the SD card?

2 - Or are you talking about capturing stills from the tape?

1 - Your Cammy came with software to access the SD card- yes? In any event this does not produce an AVI. I've had success with and without the software. I plug my XM2 into the USB side of things. Laptop recognises my cammy as drive J: I navid=gate the folders on this "J:" drive and find the stills I want.

2 - You can Capture stills from the tape by usung the Windows Cmera function. I can run a tape - Pause - Capture a sstill from and move on. OR I can ROLL the tape, say in 1/2 speed and quick fire captures, on the move, that way too.

So, you appear to have asked 2 questions in one - And I think I've given you 2 answers. But, this might not be what you're after.

Get back if this isn't any good.

Regards,

Grazie

Gerald Goulder July 1st, 2003 10:53 AM

getting stills from GL2 to PC

Thanks Graham.

This is my first time and I am confused about getting through the steps in the process.

My stills are on the SD card in the GL2.
My firewire is from the GL2 to the PC.

But whenever I plug the firewire into the PC, my Studio software takes over and won't let me "out" of it. That's how I got the .avi of the stills.

I want to get the stills on my PC so I can use them on webs.

I don't understand the Windows being able to do this. Could you please step by step me? I appreciate you kind assistance.

Thanks.
gerald

Jim Yang July 1st, 2003 11:02 AM

The only way to get stills off the SD card is through the USB connection.

Gerald Goulder July 1st, 2003 12:33 PM

usb connection

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Yang : The only way to get stills off the SD card is through the USB connection. -->>>

isthat the one right above where the firewire plugs intothe GL2?

Is it a standard USB cable port?
& it goes right in to PC?

Then I have to install the GL2 as new hardware???
Thanks.

Craig Peer July 1st, 2003 12:50 PM

Go get yourself a cheap Zio ( or other ) card reader. I have mine ( free from Canon with my Optura 100, $ 25.00? otherwise )hooked to a USB hub on my desk. Just pop the SD card in that. You don't need to even mess with the camcorder.

Jesper Hallen July 1st, 2003 02:34 PM

if you bought the xm2 as new you got an USB-cable with an small end in one end, that is the one to put into you camera. The other end is a regular USB-cable end. Then I dont know, I haven't done it with mine yet=) something with a software or something, or maybe it works fine in photoshop directly I dont know, hope so.

Bob Benkosky July 4th, 2003 10:33 AM

Actually, that's not true, You can get the pictures off the card using the same firewire cord they give you. I was able to capture the photos thru Vegas. The resolution was standard DV and not the 11xx x 1024 or whatever it is. This might means the pictures are knocked down some quality, not really sure.

If you absolutely need the USB cable to read the cards full resolution, then I'm not going to say that's untrue, but you can get the pictures off the card in other ways.

Chris Hurd July 4th, 2003 11:46 AM

<< Is it a standard USB cable port? >>

Use the included USB cable which came with your GL2.

USB is the only method for downloading large-size high-res stills from the SD card. As an alternative to plugging the camera directly into your computer, simply get an SD card reader as noted above... about $20. No drivers required; keeps the camera free. Almost effortless -- hope this helps,

Bob Benkosky July 4th, 2003 11:50 AM

Well, I didn't get a USB cord with my camera. I got the firewire thing. I think I might have a USB cord floating around somewhere. Is it possible some people got the firewire and some got the USB cable?

Jesper Hallen July 4th, 2003 06:02 PM

yes that's right, you can get the pictures frpm the cards trough your firewire, i've done that, but then it's in regular dv-format and quality as you said.