DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Print to XM2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/11720-print-xm2.html)

Stewart McDonald July 7th, 2003 12:35 PM

Print to XM2

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm having trouble printing video from premiere 6 to my xm2. I can do this over firewire right? And do I have the cam in vcr or camera mode? I've tried quite a few things and no image is recorded back onto the camera.

Thanks

Graham Bernard July 7th, 2003 01:34 PM

Stewart, I just read page 111 of the PAL users manual. Not what I would say as being complete!

But yes. You have the cammy in VCR mode - I really don't know where I picked this up. However, think of the cammy being a DV VCR and you want go far wrong.

Now - Vegas4.0c here so I can't speak for Premmi - But I have recorded - I don't know - maybe 50/70 hours so far. I do know that Vegas communicates perfectly with XM2. I can set the PTT [Print TO Tape] function so that the laptop can control the XM2 - Cue, Send,PTT, FOrward, Reverse, GOTO frame searches . . .. .

I'm sure there will be a few Premmi users who'll jump in here.

Oh yes - you can use the Remote to Cue the Cammy and leave it in Pause/Rec mode until the NLE semds a lump of data through the f/w - works for me. Now I don't even use the remote - just send stuff to PTT, and off it goes.

So, VCR mode . . . .

Grazie

Stewart McDonald July 7th, 2003 03:35 PM

I also have Vegas and when I come to try and click on print to tape, I dont get the option to let it control my DV Camcorder. Its greyed out, and just gives me the option for manual control

Hans Henrik Bang July 8th, 2003 03:03 AM

You actually HAVE to use Firewire. It will not work over USB or analog connections. Use the "Export to tape" function.

If memory serves me correctly, I usually put the camera in PLAY mode. That seems to work just fine.

One thing though. Shut down both camera and computer when you connect them. Then start both of them with the Firewire connected. Otherwise you might run into problems with the computer not finding your camera correctly.

If it works, the camera will display "DV in" or something to that effect in the viewfinder/LCD when dumping to tape.

Hope it works out. If you still have problems, post again, and I will be able to get a few more details for you with my hands on the system.

Hans Henrik

Jesper Hallen July 8th, 2003 06:04 AM

If you have the firewire connected you should be able to play the movie on the premiere timeline and the image should appear in the camcorder, then you just to have to press REC.
If you have a XM2 it should work since it have dv in/out.

Stewart McDonald July 8th, 2003 06:09 AM

It is connected with firewire. It is instantly recognized in Windows XP. I put it into VCR mode and I have "DV in" flashing. I play the video on the computer and I don't get it playing in the camcorder.

Hans Henrik Bang July 8th, 2003 11:02 AM

Ok. Now I am back at my editing PC, and I just ran through how I do it.

I HAVE to turn off the camera and PC. Then connect firewire, turn on camera in PLAY (VCR) mode, boot up PC in that order. Otherwise the camera doesn't show up in "My computer"

Check that your camera shows up in "My computer". Shows up as a camera Icon under "Scanners and cameras" called Canon DV camera.

Now load up Premiere 6, load a project, mark the portion you wish to export with the yellow markers on top of the timeline.

Select "file", "Export timeline", "export to tape".

Now you should get a dialog box called "Export to tape settings". Check "Activate recording deck" to make sure Premiere can control your camera and put it in record mode.

Then just hit ok, and your screen will go black for a few seconds. Then you can hear the camera engaging, and DV IN will flash in the viewfinder. On my setup the movie will play at a very low framerate 2-3 per sec on the PC but at the full rate on the camera (LCD or viewfinder). The camera should also display "REC" to signify that it is recording.

Obviously you should make sure that the tape in the camera is new or at least not somewhere where you want to keep whatever is on it.

Hope that walkthrough helps.

Hans Henrik