DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   DVX100 nearly same price as optioned GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/11721-dvx100-nearly-same-price-optioned-gl2.html)

Brendan Getchel July 7th, 2003 12:44 PM

DVX100 nearly same price as optioned GL2

I have (and "love") the Canon GL2. It is ideally suited to my style of shooting -- mostly outdoors, nature, architecture (ruins), wildlife -- because of its powerful, sharp zoom and great image stabilizer, which works much better than the stabilizers on either my DVX100 or VX2000.

However, I knew going in that I wanted both XLR and W/A with the GL2, so I bought the MA-300 "unbalanced" dual XLR adapter ($180) and the Canon WD-58H wide angle adapter ($180). On the Panasonic DVX100 both of these accessories are already part of the camera, along with a BIG LCD screen and a full array of dedicated, pro-level controls. Once you figure in the accessory prices the GL2 gets so close to the DVX100 out of the box that the extra $300-400 no longer resembles that "shocking" $1,000 difference that appeared so substantial in the beginning. Add to that the fact that Panasonic's LIon batteries are quite a bit less than their Canon counterparts, and you can add filtration right to the front of that spiffy Leica lens without the additional $180 expense of the cheapest Century matte box and the DVX looks more and more like a real bargain.

While there are a few things I don't like about the DVX, the pro controls (to me) really make it a more viable solution for what amounts to little or no more money in the final analysis. If the lens were just a little longer I'd be a pig in mud (and whassup with LANC on this thing?!).

Chris Hurd July 7th, 2003 01:43 PM

There is no LANC on the DVX100. The GL2 is set up much better for remote lens control via the tripod pan handle.

I've always said, the right camera for you is the one which feels best in your hands. For some it's the DVX100; for others it's the GL2. Try before you buy.

Brendan Getchel July 7th, 2003 01:55 PM

Don't get me wrong -- I love my GL2 and it's a wonderful tool. You're right about the LANC feature as well. With the VZ-ROCK (if it keeps working) it's a dream to control single-handed from the tripod. Not having to touch the camera, especially when zoomed in closely, is a real benefit.

It's the dang skippy IRIS control on the GL2 that bugs the snot out of me. That one feature alone on the DVX really makes me wonder why Canon did it this way.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 02:13 PM

Have your cake and eat it too- I have both the GL-1 and DVX100. The only aspect of the GL-1 I like over the DVX100 is the focus ring...the DVX's feels too loose and sloppy- though rack focus shots haven't been a problem to pull off. Other than that I can't think of another feature I prefer more on the GL-1 over the DVX.

Brendan Getchel July 7th, 2003 02:44 PM

There are a few features I prefer on the GL2 over the DVX

1) You're right about the focus ring. The DVX is wayyyy too loose.

2) The image stabilizer on the GL2 is superior, IMHO.

3) The LONG lens on the GL2 is, often times, much more suitable to my style of shooting -- particularly when it comes to wildlife.

4) Audio controls on the GL2 are still better, to me.

5) I like the redundant controls on top of the GL2's handle when shooting low.

6) LANC makes the GL2 better on a tripod. Why the DVX doesn't have it is beyond me.

After this, the DVX quickly shows the GL2 its heels.

Chris Hurd July 7th, 2003 03:31 PM

Howdy from Texas,

<< LANC makes the GL2 better on a tripod. Why the DVX doesn't have it is beyond me. >>

The LANC is protocol is owned by Sony. Canon pays a per-unit license fee to put it on their cams... Panasonic either can't or won't. It's all going to be FireWire camera control very soon anyway -- LANC is becoming fairly outdated.

Brendan Getchel July 7th, 2003 09:06 PM

I haven't seen any Firewire controllers yet. Are you sure that the current crop of DV cameras can be fully controlled -- especially focus, zoom, and power -- via Firewire? Or will it be later generations that ditch LANC and use Firewire instead?